• 20 December 2016
  • 39 replies

Badge +1
this is is my problem:-

I have one play1 in Room - "Bed room".
I have one play1 in Room- "hallway".
I have two play1s (L+R) in stereo mode and a SUB in Room- "living room"

questions:

1. How do i remove the play1 from "hallway" and add it to the room "living room"???
2. How do i delete or remove "hallway" from the controller app?

I tried to reset the play1 in hallway. after reset when i tried to set up this play1 as new player, the controller app didnt ask me which room i want to add. it automatically added to the room "hallway".

I dont want to group different rooms. I want to move play1 from one room to another.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

A "Room" can only be one speaker, or a limited set of bonded/paired speakers as follows:

Single speaker/player
Single speaker/player and a Sub
Two paired speakers.
Two paired speakers and a Sub
Playbar and Sub
Playbar, Sub, and two surround speakers

So, since your "Living Room" is now two paired speakers and a Sub, you cannot add any more. What you can do is group another room with the "Living Room". Grouped rooms will play in sync, but aren't permanent like pairs or bonded speakers.

As to the names on the room(s), you can name them anything you like by editing the name in the Room Settings.
The room names are just labels. You can just go in to room settings and change the name. You don't even have to change the name. Its just a convenient identifier.
Badge +1
this is the dumbest answer. Renaming the "hallway" to "living room" will not move the play1 from "hallway" to "living room". if you do so, in the controller app, now there will be 2 "living room" listed under room settings. I have tried this.
Badge +1
@jgatie : i DONT want any speaker in my hallway. So are u saying if i separate the stereo pair in my living room, i will be able to add the play1 from hallway to the living room?

if so, can u please tell me the steps? as i mentioned above, I tried to reset the play1 in hallway. after reset when i tried to set up this play1 as new player, the controller app didnt ask me which room i want to add. it automatically added to the room "hallway".
anil,

Exactly what are you trying to achieve? If you want the "Living Room" to consist of 3 Play:1 and a Sub, that is impossible.

A "Room" can only be what I listed above. You could do as John B suggests and rename the third Play: 1 from "hallway" to "Living Room 2". Then Group Living Room 2 with Living Room to have them all play together. To achieve this, go to Settings->Room Settings->hallway and edit the room name to Living Room 2.

Then tap the room name at the top of the screen to bring up the Rooms screen. Tap Group on "Living Room", tap the 'X' next to Living Room 2, and tap Done. Note that Grouping is not permanent. If you group again, ungroup, or power the speaker(s) down, the group will not persist.
Badge +1
im returning all of my sonos speakers.. why cant i have 10-20 sonos speakers in one room... think i have 10000 sqft living room. this doesnt make any sense to me..
You can have as many as you want (well, up to a hard limit ) in a single room, you just need to name them separately. I often group two "rooms" that are physically actually in one room, and it's no issue whatsoever.
For goodness sake. ROOM NAME IS JUST A LABEL. Call them John Paul George and Ringo if you like. Put them all in the attic, ROOM NAME IS JUST A LABEL
Badge +1
do you know, when you add a sub to a room, the play1 or play3 or play 5 in that room stop producing low frequencies and they focus more on producing mids and highs. this is because a dedicated sub is there in the room to produce the low frequencies. this info is there in your website.

i know, i can move the "hallway" play1 from the hallway and physically place it in the living room and then group "hallway" and "living room" to play the same music. but in this case, sonos controller app will not know where the speaker is physically present. ( whether in the same room or in the hallway). since there is no sub in in the hallway, the play1 in hallway will still produce the low frequencies. I DONT WANT THAT.

I want all three play1s in the living room to produce the mids and highs and leave the sub to produce the low notes. this is only possible if all 4 are there in the same room in the controller app.
Badge +1
@John B, do u work at sonos support???
All of Sonos' employees have a notification on the image attached to their post, and are identified as such. John B is a consumer and fan, just like the rest of us. He's trying to help, like I am.
Truly, the fact that room name is just a label is the crucial point here
im returning all of my sonos speakers.. why cant i have 10-20 sonos speakers in one room... think i have 10000 sqft living room. this doesnt make any sense to me... As @Airgetlam says, you can. You can actually call them all "Living Room" if you want, but then you would have 10 indistinguishable speakers in your app. More sensible to call them Living Room 1, Living Room 2 etc and then group them if you want them to play together.
Badge +1
im returning all of my sonos speakers.. why cant i have 10-20 sonos speakers in one room... think i have 10000 sqft living room. this doesnt make any sense to me... As @Airgetlam says, you can. You can actually call them all "Living Room" if you want, but then you would have 10 indistinguishable speakers in your app. More sensible to call them Living Room 1, Living Room 2 etc and then group them if you want them to play together.

do you know, when you add a sub to a room, the play1 or play3 or play 5 in that room stop producing low frequencies and they focus more on producing mids and highs. this is because a dedicated sub is there in the room to produce the low frequencies. this info is there in your website.

i know, i can move the "hallway" play1 from the hallway and physically place it in the living room and then group "hallway" and "living room" to play the same music. but in this case, sonos controller app will not know where the speaker is physically present. ( whether in the same room or in the hallway). since there is no sub in in the hallway, the play1 in hallway will still produce the low frequencies. I DONT WANT THAT.

I want all three play1s in the living room to produce the mids and highs and leave the sub to produce the low notes. this is only possible if all 4 are there in the same room in the controller app.
Sub can be bonded to a single Play speaker, or a stereo pair, or a Playbar with or without surrounds. So if that isn't what you want, then you are right. Better take it all back. Or buy a second sub.
But for me, any more than my pair of Play:5s plus Sub would spoil the audio experience. They are designed to work this way.
Badge +1
Sub can be bonded to a single Play speaker, or a stereo pair, or a Playbar with or without surrounds. So if that isn't what you want, then you are right. Better take it all back. Or buy a second sub.

@John B
thanks.. finally, you understood the problem here. "room" is not just a virtual grouping of speakers in one room.
There isn't a "problem". And in Sonos, a room name is just a label. Did I mention that?
Badge +1
There isn't a "problem". And in Sonos, a room name is just a label. Did I mention that?

that lable decides which speaker to product what frequencies..Did I mention that?

@John B
thanks.. finally, you understood the problem here. "room" is not just a virtual grouping of speakers in one room.

Whoever said it was?

that lable decides which speaker to product what frequencies..Did I mention that?
No the system design does that.
Badge +1

No the system design does that.

looks like the system is designed for poor people who live in a 1200sqft home.. :((
Look, I have chosen to pair my Play:5s and add a Sub. That is what the system allows me to do. I call that whole arrangement "Living Room" because it is in the Living Room. But I could call it anything, it just wouldn't be quite so intuitive. The fact that I can't put more speakers into that label is a function of the system, not of the label. I can put as many speakers as I like in the physical room, but I cannot put any more speakers into the unified arrangement I have labelled "Living Room". So let's agree then (can we?) that there are limitations on the unified arrangements that you can achieve with Sonos. Limitations that many people might not see as troublesome at all.
The system is designed for people who don't have cloth ears
Badge +1
Look, I have chosen to pair my Play:5s and add a Sub. That is what the system allows me to do. I call that whole arrangement "Living Room" because it is in the Living Room. But I could call it anything, it just wouldn't be quite so intuitive. The fact that I can't put more speakers into that label is a function of the system, not of the label. I can put as many speakers as I like in the physical room, but I cannot put any more speakers into the unified arrangement I have labelled "Living Room". So let's agree then (can we?) that there are limitations on the unified arrangements that you can achieve with Sonos. Limitations that many people might not see as troublesome at all.

i know i can place as many speakers physically in one room. just give me a solution to this. i want all speakers in the same physical room to produce mids and high and sub to produce lows.