Moves Playing in Stereo over Bluetooth

• 9 February 2020
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I purchased two Moves with the intent of creating a stereo pair of portable speakers. Fine on WiFi. Bluetooth is a whole different story. I should have paid closer attention to the specifications - specifically the FAQ. The whole point of getting two Moves was to take my music outside and on the road where there is no WiFi. I am very disappointed in Sonos at the moment. There is an old guideline in product design/development: if you can’t do something fully and completely to what the average customer will expect, don’t do it until you can.

To the Sonos engineers and product management folks: engineering a pair of speakers to work as a stereo pair over bluetooth is very possible and has been accomplished many times. I have a pair of very high quality JBL Flip4s which work nicely in stereo mode while connected to my phone in Bluetooth mode. They do this by pairing the streaming device to one of the speakers and then connecting the two speakers to each other so that the one drives the other. The sound is perfect without any lag. But the fun doesn’t stop there – you can pair over 100 of these things together and they will all play the same music! Get busy and reverse engineer one of these things. If they can do it, you can do it! And your customers expect the best since every other one of your products is far superior to any competing products.

28 replies

@zorvek Thank you for bringing this to the Sonos Community. I have spoken with a few customers who want this feature brought to the Move. I will add your voice to the request to our engineers for this feature request.

I also bought 2 sonos move for for stereo bluetooth. To bad, also don’t work for tv with sonos beam. My other jbl connect can sync 100 speakers. I hope sonos adds this feature

I think I understand the issue of not supporting surround sound, though perhaps this could be possible with a toggle like the ones for either music or surround with a software upgrade. Could they not Auto tune as needed after being moved?

Also, I would also like to see fuel Bluetooth. If this happens I would definitely buy a second one.

To buy a second just to have sitting in the home as stereo is tempting but I can't find much information on whether it's worth it 🤔

I think I understand the issue of not supporting surround sound, though perhaps this could be possible with a toggle like the ones for either music or surround with a software upgrade. Could they not Auto tune as needed after being moved?

I don’t think tuning is the issue.  The Move is designed to have a wide spread of audio, like you would want in an outdoor environment, and not want in a surround speaker.  The Move is also designed to work off of WiFi, not on the ‘mini’ network created when binding surround speakers (and sub)  in a home theatre setting.

Also, I would also like to see fuel Bluetooth. If this happens I would definitely buy a second one.

To buy a second just to have sitting in the home as stereo is tempting but I can't find much information on whether it's worth it 🤔

There are some phones, and probably tablets, that have the ability to connect to two BT speakers at the same time.  It’s not a stereo pair, but 2 mono speakers.

We have had Sonos for many years, and currently have 8 speakers. From Play 5, Sub, play 3, and two Move Speakers which we bought specifically to pair using bluetooth.  We currently use the Move outside, but our UE speakers are linkable to bluetooth and can provide a more spread out music sound. Im sure there will be a device soon that can connect our two Move speakers under bluetooth. I second the request for a future upgrade to the Move capabilities. We love our Sonos system and know your engineers are working hard to improve the system every year. Thank you.

Third vote for the ability to pair two Move speakers in Bluetooth mode. This would make an ideal setup in the restored 64 VW bus I am building; nice sound without cutting in a modern stereo. Also great for a speaker setup for outdoor movies where you are streaming a movie from a device to a projector but want better sound than what the projector offers. I really think it could be marketed to the classic car market and the growing outdoor movie trend as such. I bought the first one with this intent and was disappointed to find out it won’t work that way.I guess it is one speaker for now until the engineers get working on a firmware update. I did a quick search and there are other products that can do this but I am sure the sound would not be as good.

Another vote please!  (Or two, if that counts, since I bought two with this in mind)...

Another vote please!  (Or two, if that counts, since I bought two with this in mind)...

PS, the Bose Revolve+ can do this.  The app is a tiny bit clunky, but it works.  Sound quality is nowhere near Sonos though, which is why I returned them.  

Userlevel 2

Having lived with the Bose+ approach for 2 years now, I have to say, it’s the reason I am ordering 2 Moves and planning to pair them via WiFi.  Bose+ isn’t just clunky, it’s downright frustrating.  So, if you have WiFi available, it’s no contest.  That said, I do agree with the others on this thread that it is clearly feasible and a desirable feature.  I hope those that are pushing for this also recognize that Bose couldn’t really get it “right.”  So, if you’re Sonos, do you really want to add a feature that only works some of the time and leads to a lot of frustration?  Maybe do this as Beta release?  Regardless, I’m clicking “buy” and will trust that, if it can be done to Sonos standards, there will be an upgrade somewhere along the line that enables Bluetooth pairing!  ;-)

Userlevel 1

Is Sonos Move stereo blueotooth pairing planned? (with a software upgrade?)

I was very much in doubt to buy an extra one with black friday, but because of the lack of the blueotooth stereo support, I postponed it. (until this feature is released).

Love the quality of the speaker, but the lack of this feature, makes it hard to not move to the competition.

Is Sonos Move stereo blueotooth pairing planned? (with a software upgrade?)

I was very much in doubt to buy an extra one with black friday, but because of the lack of the blueotooth stereo support, I postponed it. (until this feature is released).

Love the quality of the speaker, but the lack of this feature, makes it hard to not move to the competition.

What competition is that which has both WiFi and Bluetooth and allows stereo pairing with both? 

Userlevel 2

Sonos, another hand-raise for Bluetooth pairing, please!  I just bought two and can’t believe you can’t pair them. I have friends with JBLs that could pair 5 years ago!  This should be standard for a $800 speaker pair. 

Userlevel 1

SONOS Engineering, here’s another vote for this feature to be able to pair two SONOS Moves in Bluetooth mode using the S2 App.

Userlevel 3

Dear Sonos,

as owner of 2pcs Sonos Move, I add another voice to request stereo pairing on Bluetooth mode.

I was converting myself from JBL and was trully shocked, when I found, that Sonos is not supporting such a basic feature. Even a 40$ speakers can do so.

Thanks. Vit

Disappointed… PLEASE enable/develop Bluetooth stereo!  It’s a shame not to do this after spending almost 1k on two speakers and they can’t play in stereo…. I have eco gear speakers 1/3 the price that can do this…. not the sound quality but they are what I use when out and about… a shame… we all love Sonos but this is a bummer…. and should be advertised.  I will let me friends know too that are considering a purchase to hold off… they will also be disappointed to find out there is no stereo in Bluetooth for the Sonos move. 😩😞😩😞😡

I have two Sonos Move and it's incredible that a product of this price range does not allow stereo pairing over bluetooth.

Almost any other speaker alows that, e.g. my pair of B&O Beoplay A1, which is the cheapest speaker from that brand. Bose, JBL and many others have this option.

Please consider it's implementation or at least give us a clear explanation about why it is not possible.

Thanks

I own several Sonos Move products. They are incredible and would certainly be even more interesting if pairing is allowed in the Bluetooth mode.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Another vote for stereo with BT, have 3 Moves. I’ll ad a 4th is I can pair stereo over BT as well as wifi. Until then, I don’t have an use case that would require purchasing a 4th. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yes!  Another vote here.  Mind-boggling that they released the Move without the stereo pair feature available in Bluetooth mode. 

Sonos Move Bluetooth needs a root canal. Fix it please !!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I’d like to add on to the “wanting stereo moves in Bluetooth” group.

Down at the fire pit people are amazed at the sound coming from my single move. I wanna blow their minds with stereo paired moves!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I search the phrase Sonos Move Bluetooth Stereo Pair every few days since I got both my Moves back in 2019. Just got back from a beach vacation where it would have been the killer feature. I take them outside and always constrained by my wifi because the spatial sound is night and day from a single speaker. I won’t give up hope! You’ve got both wifi and bluetooth on board - hard to imagine you can’t work out a solution to this. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Another vote for stereo pairing in Bluetooth mode. 

I just bought a pair of Moves 2 months ago. They are great inside our house. But I also bought them for camping, beach trips, our firepit, etc. 

I assumed they would have this functionality as it's such a common feature in portable speakers, it was frustrating to learn it's missing in speakers sold at this price point. 

It's a real oversight on Sonos’ part. They're portable speakers, intended for use when WiFi isn't available. 🙄

Another vote for stereo pairing in Bluetooth mode. 

I just bought a pair of Moves 2 months ago. They are great inside our house. But I also bought them for camping, beach trips, our firepit, etc. 

I assumed they would have this functionality as it's such a common feature in portable speakers, it was frustrating to learn it's missing in speakers sold at this price point. 

It's a real oversight on Sonos’ part. They're portable speakers, intended for use when WiFi isn't available. 🙄

Perhaps consider using a portable, rechargeable, Bluetooth dual-stream transmitter and play to both speakers at the same time, indoors or outdoors, instead - here is one ‘cheap’ example that works for me:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07J58KY3X

Really? For 800 bucks speakers you still cannot stereo pair them on BT. Incredible! I have two UE Boom that work perfectly on stereo mode. I can't believe it's not possible for them Sonos Move. This is my first Sonos speakers system, but I think I won't continue with Sonos if it has such major flaws. Disappointed