Answered

Move pair. Any way to identify Left and Right??

• 22 August 2020
  • 9 replies

Once paired, is there anyway to identify the left and right speaker? I suppose I could unpair them, repair them and then put a mark or sticker on one, but there should be an easier way. 

icon

Best answer by revoshift 27 August 2020, 22:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Is the process to pair Move speakers the same as other (you need to push a button on the unit as part of the process)?

Regarding identifying them, move the balance to one side (in the EQ settings) and see which is playing?

Usually though wouldn't it just be the one on the left?  I'd suggest if it's not obvious and on the left hand side that they're further apart and maybe shouldn't be in a stereo pair and just grouped?

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @revoshift.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to share another way which is to separate the 2 stereo paired Sonos Move and then create a stereo pair

I hope we both helped.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The OP obviously knows how to pair (“Once paired…”) and unpair (“suppose I could unpair them.. “) the speakers - how does posting links to pairing then and unpairing them help?

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @sjw.

Thanks for the feedback.

Unpairing and pairing rooms back allow the OP to set up the stereo pair one more time being able to determine which Sonos move would be his Left or right depending on his preference. This is just an additional/another way. We are all here trying to help.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Thanks for the responses. Since Moves are portable, I tend to “move” them around and lose track of which is which. I ended up putting a piece of tape on the L speaker to easily identify it. Just seems like an oversight on the part of SONOS to make this simple.

I’d have never considered it important, except in a home theater context, where it makes a difference which is left or right. In a music context, it only matters that there is a stereo signal, I’ve never run across music that sounds wrong if the left channel is on the right. Which has always struck me as odd that headphones have labels, too. But it does seem like you’ve hit on the best current solution. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @revoshift.

Thanks for the immediate response.

I do agree with @Airgetlam. Sone the Sonos Move was made as a portable speaker that can work on both Wifi connectivity and Bluetooth connectivity, Sonos did not assume that the customers would want their speakers labeled L/Left or R/right if they are only planning on purchasing one device since the stereo pair is an additional feature of Sonos Speakers in the Sonos app. The way you have identified the stereo pair may be the best option we may have on your situation (placing a mark on the speaker to identify it from the Left or right stereo pair).

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

A sticker, really??

How much simpler do you want than sliding the balance to one side and listening to which speaker the sound is coming from?

If you are really moving them around like you suggest then I really think they shouldn't be stereo paired and should just be grouped.  Listening to a stereo speaker on its own can often have only ‘half' the sound coming out. 

Headphones have L and R because often the headphones are not symmetrical and the earpieces need to go the correct ear to sit right.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Get a black one and a white one.

‘White on the Right’ easy to remember :grinning: