Move lack of options

• 8 October 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
It seems a great shame that the features that make Move special, i.e. Trueplay, are only available via WiFi. I want to use my Move in a workspace that does not have WiFi. With WiFi and Trueplay, Move is superb. Via Bluetooth it is only average. I suspect similar sound quality can be had much cheaper. I do not understand why all features are not available via WiFi or an option for a wired connection. Very reluctantly I think I will be returning my Move.

2 replies

krismusic,

When I take the Move away whilst camping, I will just link the speaker to either a mobile hotspot (iPhone) or a 3G/4G (Huawei) MiFi device and use Bluetooth as a backup in places where I just can’t get hold of a mobile signal.

When at home it will sit on its charger-loop and form part of my Sonos Home System and I currently use it on battery in the mornings in the shower/bathroom and when the weather is nice, it will also sit on my garden table out back whilst we enjoy the usual family/friends garden parties and barbecues.

i definitely will not be returning my Move speaker, but it’s each to their own, I guess.

I think the Move sounds great and it’s rechargeable battery life is excellent too. There is not another portable speaker on the market with this type of sound that has so much versatility and access to so many audio sources.

Your loss in returning it, will only go onto be someone else’s gain, in my humble opinion.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It seems a great shame that the features that make Move special, i.e. Trueplay, are only available via WiFi. I want to use my Move in a workspace that does not have WiFi. With WiFi and Trueplay, Move is superb. Via Bluetooth it is only average. I suspect similar sound quality can be had much cheaper. I do not understand why all features are not available via WiFi or an option for a wired connection. Very reluctantly I think I will be returning my Move.

Your title says the Move lacks options, but you're only talking about one particular option you feel is lacking. I would not be surprised if Auto Trueplay gets added later for BT mode, but it's not there now and Sonos has not said it's ever going to be added.. I don't know why you want this mobile speaker to have a wired connection, as that pretty much defeats the mobility of the speaker. If you can use a wired connection, why not get a Sonos One?

I have to agree with you though, in that the Move is probably not the right speaker for anyone who is only looking for a bluetooth speaker, and has no use for WiFi. The Move sounds great in BT mode IMO, but you probably can match the sound quality in a cheaper speaker, since you aren't using many of the features your paying for.