Answered

Move gets unchecked from group after not being used for an hour or so

• 5 August 2021
  • 5 replies

Hello!

Every time I go to play music from spotify, I choose to output the sound on "Kitchen + 2" to get it to play on my Sonos speakers. After music is started on the rest of the speakers, I open the sonos app and add the Move to the group of speakers where I'm playing music.

Is there any way to get the Move to stay among the other speakers so I can play music on them all right away?

(I would also love to have spotify default output to sonos, but I guess that’s a spotify issue and not a sonos issue?)

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 5 August 2021, 16:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

That suggests that the Move is dropping off your network at some point, since Sonos doesn’t ‘ungroup’ players in most cases. You might want to double check that the Move isn’t being moved out of WiFi range, or powered off (not sleep mode, all the way off) or being impacted by some sort of wifi interference causing it to lose contact with the rest of your system. 

Yes, a ‘default to Sonos option’ would indeed need to be a request for Spotify, Sonos has no control over the Spotify software/controller. 

That suggests that the Move is dropping off your network at some point, since Sonos doesn’t ‘ungroup’ players in most cases. You might want to double check that the Move isn’t being moved out of WiFi range, or powered off (not sleep mode, all the way off) or being impacted by some sort of wifi interference causing it to lose contact with the rest of your system. 

Yes, a ‘default to Sonos option’ would indeed need to be a request for Spotify, Sonos has no control over the Spotify software/controller. 

It’s the speaker closest to the wifi, standing in it’s charging dock. It’s a strong wifi which reaches Sonos speakers on the upper floor, so I don’t think the wifi is causing the issue.

I feel like it goes to sleep and disconnect itself when I’m not using it. 

@loveg 

If the ‘Move’ is left off it’s charger it may sleep and drop from the group after 30 minutes of inactivity. If you leave it on its charger loop switched on it should stay awake and grouped. 

Also, in the Spotify App you should see an (…) ellipsis next to "Kitchen + ?” (A dynamic grouping by the way), if you select the ellipsis there is an option to open just the Sonos ‘System/Rooms’ Tab only to perform the grouping of speakers without leaving the Spotify App and having to separately open the Sonos App. It’s a similar thing, but just slightly quicker, perhaps 🤔?

@loveg 

If the ‘Move’ is left off it’s charger it may sleep and drop from the group after 30 minutes of inactivity. If you leave it on its charger loop switched on it should stay awake and grouped. 

Also, in the Spotify App you should see an (…) ellipsis next to "Kitchen + ?” (A dynamic grouping by the way), if you select the ellipsis there is an option to open just the Sonos ‘System/Rooms’ Tab only to perform the grouping of speakers without leaving the Spotify App and having to separately open the Sonos App. It’s a similar thing, but just slightly quicker, perhaps 🤔?

I never move the Move, so it shouldn’t go to sleep, but just act as a regular Sonos one?

The ellipsis icon thing is a little bit of help, I really appreciate it! Thanks!

It’s the speaker closest to the wifi, standing in it’s charging dock. It’s a strong wifi which reaches Sonos speakers on the upper floor, so I don’t think the wifi is causing the issue.

I feel like it goes to sleep and disconnect itself when I’m not using it. 

The ‘Move’ should never sleep when in its on it’s charger-loop - so maybe check the charger is working okay and don’t have it too close to other ‘WiFi’ devices - if the problem continues you may want to check things for wireless interference as mentioned in these links…

Wireless Interference Document:

WiFi Interference

Wireless Interference Video:

Wireless Interference and Sonos