Answered

Sonos Move battery

• 14 September 2020
  • 11 replies

Badge

Ik heb een Move gekocht maar die blijkt al na 24u in standby te staan (dus zonder muziek af te spelen) 70% batterij te hebben verbruikt. Dus van volledig opgeladen naar 30% zonder muziek af te spelen. Kan u me tips geven hoe ik dit moet oplossen?  Of: Kan ik het product retourneren ?

icon

Best answer by Poeki 28 October 2020, 10:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Poeki.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thank you for reaching out to us.

I would like to recommend calling our technical support team for more in-depth troubleshooting steps. The situation experienced on a newly bought Sonos Move is not a normal behavior and indicates a battery issue.

You may also want to do the basic troubleshooting steps.

1. Remove the Sonos Move from the charging bay.
  2. Turn off the Move by pressing the power button for 10-15 secs until the light on top disappears.
  3. place the Sonos Move back on it’s charging bay and without pressing any buttons, the Sonos Move should turn on by itself.
  4. If the red light disappears, I suggest observing as it may just be a glitch.
  5. If the red light does not disappear, submit a diagnostic, and call our technical support team.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. we are always here to help.

Thanks,

Badge

Hi, update on this nightmare story do far

First unit:  Move discharges itself within 24h in standby mode

First unit gets replaced by 2nd unit: same behavior - Sonos helpdesk acknowledges that there is a problem with the battery and that this unit also needs to be replaced

2nd unit gets replaced by a 3rd unit: again the same behavior = battery drain within 24h in standby mode

Now Helpdesk assumes the problem to be originating from the fact that the DHCP lease time of my modem is set to 1h. They suggest to change this to 24h but that is not possible / not allowed by my internet provider.

Honestly, I do not believe that this is the issue. I think there is a serious design issue with this Move. 

Can anybody shed some light on this please? 

Any similar observations?

Any suggestions to solve this for once and for all. I am at the point of simply returning the product and ask my money back.

thank you

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Poeki.

Thanks for the feedback and immediate response. We apologize for having such a bad experience with the Sonos Move.

Allow me to send this to our engineering team as feedback so they can take a look into this further to help us improve our product. In your situation, I would like to recommend taking to our sales team at +18006802345 option 4 to check for the money-back guarantee policy as well as to check if there is anything they can do for you for having such a bad experience on multiple replacements of your Sonos Move with all having the same problem.

Please do not hesitate to reach out or create a new topic if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

Badge

Hi @Poeki.

Thanks for the feedback and immediate response. We apologize for having such a bad experience with the Sonos Move.

Allow me to send this to our engineering team as feedback so they can take a look into this further to help us improve our product. In your situation, I would like to recommend taking to our sales team at +18006802345 option 4 to check for the money-back guarantee policy as well as to check if there is anything they can do for you for having such a bad experience on multiple replacements of your Sonos Move with all having the same problem.

Please do not hesitate to reach out or create a new topic if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

well…. Paul A.  

I think I wrote that I am already in contact with the (Dutch) helpdesk. But that they do not seem to be able to solve the problem. It is very kind to apologize for the bad experience, however that does not help me of course. I would love to have this unit working according to specs. If not, then I would need to simply return it, ask my money back, and report misleading information to our local consumer protection board. 

So I truly hope your referral to your engineering team will be the resolution

thanking you in advance

Stefan

Badge

I seem to get stuck here. Sonos keeps on referring to my modem/router being the cause, and I am unable / not allowed to change the settings. 

Is anybody else having the same issue (in Belgium?)

I am using Telenet as a provider over here so I guess there must be others that have purchased a Move and have the same issue, since Telenet is quite popular in Belgium/ Flanders.

Thank you

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Poeki.

Thanks for your immediate and detailed response.

It should not be the case as the issue mainly points out that the battery of your Sonos Move easily drains since according to the Sonos Moves FAQ, the battery should last about 120 hours if left off the charging base and unused. Which in your situation only lasts for 24 hours. I would like to recommend contacting our technical support team and ask for the call to be escalated since there are already multiple replacements done but of the same issue. They may need to investigate further as to what is happening and what is causing these issues. 

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. we are always here to help.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The reason you have been through so many replacement units is not because they were faulty, it's because the Move has fundamental problems with its battery management that has been going on since it came out.  The issue is reported here most days by different users.

God knows what the Engineering team have done about it but certainly nothing that has made its way to the public - software wise or communication/information.

Badge

The reason you have been through so many replacement units is not because they were faulty, it's because the Move has fundamental problems with its battery management that has been going on since it came out.  The issue is reported here most days by different users.

God knows what the Engineering team have done about it but certainly nothing that has made its way to the public - software wise or communication/information.

This is exactly my opinion /suspicion too. 
but the Dutch support crew now 

Badge

Sorry too quickly submitted…

This is exactly my opinion /suspicion too. 
but the Dutch support crew now wants me to purchase an extra router … to test / make diagnosis of what is happening!!

it us really disappointing to encounter this. I have been buying sonos products for many years now.. I have a complete setup with 2 play 3, 1 play 5, 1 sub, and 1 one. Was always very happy but now not. 
it is clear to me that Move suffers from inherent issues and that the specs listed on the website are fraudulent. But what can I do else than follow what the Dutch support center asks me to…. ?

Badge

Hi all. Problem seems to be solved. 

I installed an Apple Time Capsule as router between mu Sonos system and the Telenet modem.

Adapted the DHCP lease time to 1 day.

Battery now lasts up to 5 days in standby mode.

FYI

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Poeki.

Thanks for the update and immediate response. 

Thanks for sharing what was done to help fix the issue so other members of the community who might have the same issue as yours would be able to follow through with your provided solution. I do hope you continue to love and enjoy your Sonos.

If you still have further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out or create a topic. We are always here to help.

Thanks,