Answered

MOVE

• 23 September 2019
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I'm thinking of getting the new SONOS bluetooth speaker MOVE but have a few questions:

1. If I connected MOVE with my home's wifi network, it will work exactly the same as the other speakers and I can put it wherever I want, right?

2. If I'm not at home and bring MOVE with me, both the speaker and my mobile connected to the same wifi network, can my phone's SONOS controller app works and connect with MOVE, so I can search via the controller app and play the songs via MOVE?

3. When I'm home and have MOVE connected and grouped with the other speakers, can I also use my mobile phone to connect with MOVE by bluetooth at the same time, so I can play whatever content from my mobile phone (for example YouTube or other music services) and the sound come out from all speakers?

Hopen I can have a reply from the expert here. Thanks!
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 September 2019, 03:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

1) Yes.
2) I believe so, yes. Both devices need to be connected to the same WiFi.
3) No. You’re either on WiFi, and can connect with all other Sonos devices, or it’s a Bluetooth speaker, and exists on its own as a Bluetooth speaker, with zero connections to any other speakers.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
1) Yes.
2) I believe so, yes. Both devices need to be connected to the same WiFi.
3) No. You’re either on WiFi, and can connect with all other Sonos devices, or it’s a Bluetooth speaker, and exists on its own as a Bluetooth speaker, with zero connections to any other speakers.

Thanks Bruce! Noted about 1 and 3.

For 2, so you mean if I bring MOVE to my friend's home and have it and my mobile connected to his wifi network, I can use my mobile to access to SONOS controller app and control MOVE, like searching songs, albums and playlists under the music services I have added to my system at home?
As long as your Move knows about his network first. Both devices (phone and speaker, as I understand it) need to be set up first. However, once you've set it up once, my understanding is that it remembers some number of wifi networks, rather than the normal just one network. So, the first time you take it there, you may have to wire it with an ethernet cable for a minute, so that you can get the wifi SSID and password passed to it, but then you'd be able to remove the ethernet cable, and any other time you brought it to his house, you'd be fine. Within reason. I don't imagine it would remember a thousand different network SSID and passwords....:)

Remember, for all practical purposes, the Sonos system exists on the speaker, and not on the controller (on your phone).
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
As long as your Move knows about his network first. Both devices (phone and speaker, as I understand it) need to be set up first. However, once you've set it up once, my understanding is that it remembers some number of wifi networks, rather than the normal just one network. So, the first time you take it there, you may have to wire it with an ethernet cable for a minute, so that you can get the wifi SSID and password passed to it, but then you'd be able to remove the ethernet cable, and any other time you brought it to his house, you'd be fine. Within reason. I don't imagine it would remember a thousand different network SSID and passwords....:)

Remember, for all practical purposes, the Sonos system exists on the speaker, and not on the controller (on your phone).

I see! Thank you very much for your explanation!

I have a Sonos system with 3 speakers connected by wire. If i will buy a Move speaker: can I connect just that speaker wireless or do I need to reconfigure the whole system to wifi?

I have a Sonos system with 3 speakers connected by wire. If i will buy a Move speaker: can I connect just that speaker wireless or do I need to reconfigure the whole system to wifi?

Just the Move will work on your routers WiFi, the rest of the system can/will remain on SonosNet wired mode.

Badge

There is no ethernet connector on the MOVE.  I would love to connect it directly as I am having difficulty getting my Move to play with my other speakers.  All Sonos says is somehow the MOVE is connected to another router but the same network in my house and therefore they will not play together.  There is no other router in my house.  I am very frustrated..

There is no ethernet connector on the MOVE.  I would love to connect it directly as I am having difficulty getting my Move to play with my other speakers.  All Sonos says is somehow the MOVE is connected to another router but the same network in my house and therefore they will not play together.  There is no other router in my house.  I am very frustrated..

If you goto the Sonos App and choose “Settings/System/Network/Networks”,  it should show you which WiFi signal your Sonos 'Move’ is currently connected to. 

Hope that Assists.

Badge

Thanks for that but the trouble when I go there it shows it is on the same network as my other speakers.  But when they run the diagnostic on it, Sonos tells me it is getting to that network from another router.  I don’t have another router so I am stymied!!

Thanks for that but the trouble when I go there it shows it is on the same network as my other speakers.  But when they run the diagnostic on it, Sonos tells me it is getting to that network from another router.  I don’t have another router so I am stymied!!

Check and ensure that the 5ghz and the 2.4ghz WiFi bands do not have the same SSID names and change the name of the 5ghz band if that turns out to be the case. Hopefully your Move speaker will then connect to the correct network.

Badge

Where do I go to do that?  I have Viasat Satellite internet.

It will be in the main router configuration settings … check your particular router manual and look for your wireless network setup page(s). Just ensure that it is not broadcasting two signals on the different WiFi bands with the same SSID name.

Whilst your exploring the router configuration pages I would perhaps also check that your router is not using a ‘guest’ WiFi network with the same SSID name too.

If you have difficulty understanding the router setup, then it may pay to speak to your ISP support desk and see if they can assist you.

I have 2 Alexa devices: one from Amazon and one from SonosMove, but they are both called “Alexa” which is confusing when they are both in the same room.  l would like to change the Sonos device to respond to “Echo”.  Can l change names and if so, how do l do it please?
Regards

Brenda

I have 2 Alexa devices: one from Amazon and one from SonosMove, but they are both called “Alexa” which is confusing when they are both in the same room.  l would like to change the Sonos device to respond to “Echo”.  Can l change names and if so, how do l do it please?
Regards

Brenda

I understand Amazon restrict Sonos to using the default ‘Alexa’ wake word, but the Amazon devices do allow it to be changed to 'echo' or 'computer’ etc. in the Alexa App. Just goto devices and select the device to reveal its properties page and select the 'Wake Word' option to change it.

Hopefully this feature will one day be opened up by Amazon and shared with their partners. 

Hope that assists.