Answered

Minimum Volume is too loud to enjoy background music

Userlevel 3
The minimum volume on a Play 1 for instance (volume level 1) is too loud to let the music play as background.
It's "no music" or "too loud music" on volume level 1 Nothing in between. Ideally I could lower the music volume like an old amplifier. It's as simple as that. We use the Sonos system on the lowest volume side and the minimum volume is just way too high. I'm surprised that nobody else raises this.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 9 October 2018, 22:26

View original

184 replies

Same here. I’ve been able to achieve low volume by adjusting vol level via their app. Can’t do it using physical buttons on the speaker itself unless I’m missing something.
Yes, please. The lowest volume is still too loud on my PLAY1.
Please reduce the minimum volume. I really enjoy listening music when going to sleep but with sonos it's just much too loud. I've had a squeezebox before which was not perfect but the minimum volume was great. Btw I use a Play 1 in my bedroom.
Userlevel 1
+1. Just adding my voice to the chorus that the lowest volume is too high - noticing it on my Playbase when I like to have a game on as soft as possible but just loud enough to hear a crowd cheer (for example, while I'm multi-tasking on my computer and typing this on the forum). Sonos, please add more granularity.
+1. Buyed Play1 today for my bedroom for a soft music when I go to bed. The minimum volume is much too loud. Would also recommend a way to be able to set a really minimal volume.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
+1. Buyed Play1 today for my bedroom for a soft music when I go to bed. The minimum volume is much too loud. Would also recommend a way to be able to set a really minimal volume.

And to me the fade out option of the sleep is so quick! It seems like a not finished feature.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
The Alexa volume control, whether built-in with Sonos One or via Echo, offers nothing but large quantum leaps. I had a Play:1 by my bed on my night stand. I replaced it with a Sonos One when it first came out. However, I soon put the Play:1 back and added a Dot. Alexa did no good for volume control, and the Sonos One's smooth top buttonless surface is no good for touch control in the dark. The Play:1 has feelable buttons. I guess I could turn the Sonos Flashlight app on, but I'd rather do it by touch. Now I have a rarely used Sonos One sitting in my garage because the only other room I would use it in can't pair it with a Play 1.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
You have fine volume control with buttons, but not using Alexa.
Same here! 2x play 3 in our bedroom. Minimum level is too high so my wife hates it!

@Sonos: anybody out there?
I have the same issue when I use Sonos one/Alexa. In may cases I need to reach for the app to get the volume I want. It seems Alexa can only the same volume steps as the buttons use.
Userlevel 1
Agree with all here. Min volume is just too loud. Sonos please fix this.
Userlevel 1
yet another customer that is asking for this, cannot be hard to implement, can it?

please sonos, fix this for us!
Userlevel 1
Hello Sonos! Any update here? Looks like we're more than a year into this thread without a response...
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Problem still exists, 2 play one in bedroom, music too loud at minimum level. Same with playable/play3/sub in living room, not enough level of control. And is it me or has the volume of the minimum level go up recently? I start lounge music in the living through my home automation, always on the same 4% level, different online stations or from my NAS. I had to bring it back to 1% this week, otherwise I'll wakeup the whole house in the early morning.
Problem still exists, 2 play one in bedroom, music too loud at minimum level. Same with playable/play3/sub in living room, not enough level of control. And is it me or has the volume of the minimum level go up recently? I start lounge music in the living through my home automation, always on the same 4% level, different online stations or from my NAS. I had to bring it back to 1% this week, otherwise I'll wakeup the whole house in the early morning.

Same here. I have the impression to that the minimum volume has raised. The minimum volume now is far too loud.
Please SONOS, fix it.

Regards,
Cor
Badge
One solution is to turn off loudness. Tested it and now the lowest increment of volume on all devices is a non-disruptive soothing background music. 🙂
Badge
I feel like I'm missing something here.

I do tend to listen to music loudly, so I went up to my bedroom to test quiet music on a play:1.

Using the slider I can go from total silence to so quiet it can't be heard in a quiet room unless near the speaker and on up incrementally.

What am I not understanding?
Badge
Could be that u as i have impared hearing after many years of high volume. To me everything is perfect, but my "boss" next to me even wakes up due to volume on level 1. Just a suggestion ?
That beeing said, i miss the days when spotify was "the volume controller"
Full seamingless volume control anywhere in the sound spectrum.
As many of us have pointed out. Miss control between zero and 1 ?

Awesome system otherwise, abso fu..... lutely gorgious sound throughout ????
Adding a comment here about this problem:
I use the Sonos App. I understand how the control works. I have my speakers across my bedroom (approx 15ft). I have a sound bar/bass/Sonos 5 in my living room, Sonos One's in two other rooms, and a Sonos 5 in my home office.
I have adjusted the "loudness" option (which changes the treble/bass equalization and adversely impacts sounds quality) and also reduced the the Treble/Bass equalization to their minimum levels. Degraded sound that is too loud is a worse experience and this is, at best,a "hack" for reducing sound levels only in certain audible frequency ranges determined by the EQ engineers.
I also have Amazon Music, Google Play Music and my own music library - and the issue is on all of them, but some songs/stations seem louder.
The lowest possible increase in sound volume is easily heard at night and is sometimes too loud for my enjoyment in all of my rooms.
Based on the comments on this channel it would be nice if Sonos would recognize that finer control options for night or "more sensitive" owners would be an excellent feature for their product.
To address the commenters posting here that ask about volume control understanding or cannot hear their speakers on the lowest setting - I would like to comment that Sonos still should hear this complaint and try to address it. High quality speakers should have options for finely controlled sound output at any level, whether that means providing better volume controls, instructions on how to test/adjust the minimum volume, an explanation that the technology doesn't support lower sound levels, or another option would be appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, starting today with Sonos 9.2 there's the ability to use the mobile controller for Android or iOS to set a maximum volume for each of your Sonos players. The reason I bring it up in here, is that if you have the maximum volume set at 50%, the whole volume bar will still go from 0-100, but 100% will now reflect what your volume limit is set to. This has the added benefit of being able to get more granular control of players at low volume, as the volume steps will scale up or down with the max volume.

So, if you never set your players above a certain volume, this is a great chance to improve the control at lower volumes. Play around with it and see if this helps.
Let me be the first, at least on this thread, to say what a great move this is.

Really useful.
Badge
Sounds promising. Testing tonite ?
Badge
Where do i go to do this please?
Cant find ..
Badge
Think i found btw. VOLUMGRENSE in Norwegian ??
Think i found btw. VOLUMGRENSE in Norwegian ??
Ja ... I Sonos App goto 'Innstillinger / Rominnstillinger / (Romnavn) / Volumgrense.