Question

mids + highs of Play1 vs the Play5?

• 30 October 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge
I know the Play5s will give better bass and more volume but, what about the quality of mid-range and the upper end at modest volumes?
The Play1s do well in that regard but, how do the Play5s compare to the Play1s?

The reason I ask is I am putting together a 2ch music system and can go with Play1s and a sub for bass extension. Otherwise I could go with Play5s and add a sub later, if I find I want to. If the Play1s best the Play5s in the mids and highs I would go that way.

Cost is not a big factor. I am selling off my current stereo system which will pay for either way I go.
Thx,
Rob

BTW, my current setup is:
Connect for streaming
Nuprime IDA8 integrated (100w/ch) ... serving as DAC and amp
a pair of Stirling SB-88 speakers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

If the Play1s best the Play5s in the mids and highs I would go that way.

They do not.
But where a 1 pair + Sub will do better than a 5 pair is for low volume level listening, where the Sub provides body to the sound that a 5 pair will not be able to; of course, if you add a Sub to the latter, that lack is addressed.
PLAY:1s make a very nice noise, especially when Trueplay-tuned, but PLAY:5 is a distinctly better speaker. If cost is not a huge factor, and you have the space, go for the PLAY:5s.

The only possible issue is how to give them solid support at the desired height when in the vertical orientation. There are aftermarket stands, but they're rather spindly and possibly too high. The slight taper on the cabinet means it fires somewhat above the horizontal. I prefer to sit them lower down, on solid items of furniture.
If the Play1s best the Play5s in the mids and highs I would go that way.

They do not.

Do you now have a pair of P:5s then, Kumar?
No, but the couple of hours I was able to play around with one was enough to figure that out. But I have been able to remain content with 1 pair + Sub.
I have been able to remain content with 1 pair + Sub.
That's what matters.

BTW a pair of P:5s is much better than a single one, as indeed is the case for P:1s.
Equally importantly, I haven't found any solution as good as either a 1 pair + Sub or Connect Amp+ passive speakers + Sub for low/moderate volume level listening, which is often how I listen to music. Although I haven't tried a 5 pair in that mode, I am not sure it will do this as well, because I find that it is the Sub that makes the difference by retaining the richness of the sound.

A 5 pair + Sub would be nice, but not essential to my needs and less discreet than 1 pair + Sub. And more money than I am prepared to spend on one zone.

The only possible issue is how to give them solid support at the desired height when in the vertical orientation. There are aftermarket stands, but they're rather spindly and possibly too high.

These recently launched stands may do a better job of secure vertical placement in a stable way:
http://www.alphasondesigns.com/all-sonos-brackets/alphason-sonos-play-5-gen-2-floor-stand-mount---black.htm

No personal experience though.
These recently launched stands may do a better job of secure vertical placement in a stable way:
http://www.alphasondesigns.com/all-sonos-brackets/alphason-sonos-play-5-gen-2-floor-stand-mount---black.htm

I saw those, hence my comment of "rather spindly and possibly too high".