Answered

Microphones on Play 1?

• 8 June 2019
  • 5 replies

I have two play 1 speakers and just got a third delivered. I specifically went for this model because I have absolutely ZERO desire to have voice assistants listening throughout my house but when I opened up the latest box I was shocked to see that it is now equipped with google assistant. Can you confirm that there are no microphones in this speaker?
icon

Best answer by Chris 9 June 2019, 00:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I under impression he saw a release talking about Google assistant compatibility being released and noticed his Play:1 on the list of Google Assistant compatible speakers (which of course it is compatible with - if you have a Google Assistant). Yet the Play:1 has no microphone and no actual Google Assistant built into it so doesn't even apply in his case where he doesn't have or want google assistant (then no problem - doesn't effect his Play:1).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
#1 it is the Sonos One that has the microphones and has Alexa or Google. The microphones can be disabled via button on top if your paranoid about.

#2 The Play:1 does not have microphones and no assistant built in. If its a Play:1 you have then it has no microphones. It is still google assistant and amazon alexa compatible meaning if you have a google or alexa device it can control the Play:1 - not the play one being a controller device.

Paranoia may have the best of you here.
bglais01,

What do you mean exactly by the term ... 'it is now equipped with google assistant'?

Where did you discover that information about the Play:1?

Great, that is good to hear. The instruction guide had changed since the last Play:1 I bought and this one was bragging about how it now has google assistant. Glad to know it isn't inherent to the device itself
Chris

It was perhaps the choice of words 'equipped with google assistant' in the OP's initial post that caused me to ask some further questions here. I presumed he was describing something he had seen/read as he opened the Play:1 packaging?