Answered

microphone on sonos one

• 3 November 2017
  • 13 replies

is there a way to turn microphone on/off on sonos one thru app?? if not it would be a handy feature....
icon

Best answer by jgatie 3 November 2017, 07:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

No. For security purposes, the microphone cannot be enabled (or disabled) via software. It requires a physical touch, and is hardwired to the LED to allow the user to always know when it is listening.
thanks for reply.
I would like to ask for a better explanation. If the microphone is in the 'enabled' state, the LED will be 'ON'. This is apparantly a hard-wired relationship. The user can therefore always see (know) whether the microphone is on or off.

So why does it matter if the microphone enable/disable function is physical touch or software ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I would like to ask for a better explanation. If the microphone is in the 'enabled' state, the LED will be 'ON'. This is apparantly a hard-wired relationship. The user can therefore always see (know) whether the microphone is on or off.

So why does it matter if the microphone enable/disable function is physical touch or software ?

Because if it a software controlled then there is the risk that someone externally can switch on the Mic after the user has turned it off - making this a hard wired switch increases security and addresses the privacy concerns that the device could be used to eaves drop on people in their homes..
Someone in my house can also switch the microphone ON after I have switched it OFF. What's the difference ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I assume that you know the people in your house? 🙂 You obviously don't have any Big Brother is watching concerns...
Someone in my house can also switch the microphone ON after I have switched it OFF. What's the difference ?Because if your security is inadequate that person may be a hacker.
Software security is an issue for Sonos software engineers. Or, to continue my reasoning, my guest might crack me on the head. The 'security' argument is a red herring I think.
Whatever you say
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It may even be an Amazon Mandate so they do not get sued by someone with privacy concerns saying Amazon can turn on disable microphone. One person figures out how to do it and Amazon is getting sued right and left.

gary you can justify whatever you want but its the way it is supposed to be designed and makes complete sense.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You dismiss it - well here is actual quotes from Amazon rep on the the physical button that can't be disable by software. Exactly as was answered here.

https://www.wired.com/story/amazon-echo-wiretap-hack/
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I stopped answering when the logical discussion stopped being logical. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I’m with ya