Loss of WiFi connectivity, but works with ethernet cable

• 2 July 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have a Play 1 and a Play 5.  Some days after Uverse did a software upgrade,  I lost WiFi connectivity to the Play 1. A day later, Uverse did another software update and I lost connectivity to the Play 5.  Both work when connected via Ethernet cable.  When I pull up the desktop app, I get a ‘cannot find Sonos’ message.  I was on the phone for over two hours with tech support, and the problem could not be solved.  I deleted the Sonos 2 app and reinstalled Sonos 1, but that didn’t make any difference either.

Almost certainly, the problem has to do with Sonos WiFi communication with the Uverse router.  PW and router info are all correct in the app, which I checked and re-entered while hard wired.

Anybody have any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge

WiFi connectivity returned to the Play 5 this morning, still don’t see Play 1 on WiFi, but do when connected with cable.

It’s hard to know what Uverse did to the system and I don’t know what you have tried.

First: do not Factory Reset the SONOS system without further consult. Factory reset rarely cures fundamental issues, but it might accidentally work around something -- for a little while.

As a start, I recommend shutting down EVERYTHING on your network and restart in the following order:

Modem (if you use one)

Router

WiFi repeaters and Mesh points (if any)

Wired SONOS units

Wireless SONOS units

NAS (if any)

Everything else

Wait for each step to finish before moving to the next step

Check the router, repeaters, and mesh points to make sure that the WiFi is set for “b/g compatibility”.

Personally, I don’t like to use WiFi for my SONOS system because it risks dramas such as this. If you are using SonosNet, not WiFi, at least one of the SONOS units must be wired to the network. If it is convenient for you to continue with one or more wired SONOS units, I suggest that you temporarily wire all of the units (one at a time if necessary), then remove the WiFi credentials. Now the system will be exclusively SonosNet and the units can be re-deployed, keeping one or more wired.

Badge

Thanks, Buzz for the thoughtful reply.  I’ve shut down everything you specify, but didn’t restart them in that order.  I’ll try that and report back.