Line in problem - sound cutting out intermittently

I've seen this question a few times, but cannot find a solution and would like my system checked out. I have a Connect, SUB, and three PLAY:5's. The system is set up to have 3 groups, and I run them connected to one another 90% of the time. I have no issues with the services or other inputs, however, my TV and streaming inputs are a hit-or-miss thing. When I last moved, I upgraded my internet signal and speed to be at 100mbps and I have connected the CONNECT with ethernet directly to the modem/router, so that shouldn't be an issue. I have line in coming from either the TV or from the cable box. In both cases, every once in a while, I get a garbled/cutting out of the sound. It recovers, but it is extremely annoying. I have to keep it on Automatic to have a decent watching experience, as if i change compression, the lip sync is terrible. I sent some diagnostics to the support team and have usage data on, so im hoping you can see that information and make an assessment. my last diagnosis send was confirmation number 4663215. I've tried using wireless with the connect, using different AV wires, plugging into PLAY:5s directly and bypassing the CONNECT, changing wireless channels (although if there's a trick to this specifically based on my new wireless system, and even using a separate receiver! ( please check the wireless signals? out) and multiple input sources. In my old place, I gave up on it. I thought I had it hooked up in a way to be able to enjoy it, and it works most of the time, but now has begun clipping and dropping all the time and I have to turn it off until I get it fixed because it is so frustrating. Please let me know if there's something im missing or if I need to sell the CONNECT and get a playbar, or whatever the best solution would be. I just want to be able to watch cable or ROKU without the sound dropping. Love these products, but this one problem is a big bear.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

69 replies

Also, if it would help, I could technically get three add'l ethernet wires and plug the SUB and two of the play:5s into my modem/routher directly too. not ideal, but if that might work...id try it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff,

It looks like there are quite a few wireless signals in the area. These may be causing interference with the Sonos wireless network and may explain the audio cut outs. Please try changing your Sonos system's wireless channel to 11. Here's how to change the Sonos wireless channel.

Please let us know if that does not help.
Hi Jeff,

It looks like there are quite a few wireless signals in the area. These may be causing interference with the Sonos wireless network and may explain the audio cut outs. Please try changing your Sonos system's wireless channel to 11. Here's how to change the Sonos wireless channel.

I'm experiencing very similar problems and I have tried changing my sonos channel, my router channel, compressed vs uncompressed vs automatic, the use of a bridge vs no bridge. I have zero issues with streaming services so why would wireless signals in the area cut out line-in only audio and not streaming services that are also transmitting from speaker to speaker via WIFI. I've been building my system for 2 years now and have been patient that this issue would be resolved with an update but sadly it still exists. I would really appreciate a solution.
Exactly, very good point. I have the same problem - wireless services working and the line-in works intermittently, i.e. every 10 min the sound switches between the speakers, breaks and finally recovers after 2 min but it's really annoying.

I will set it all up again from scratch because I know at the start I had no issues during the first few days, nothing has changed in my setup at all so really puzzled.

Hi Jeff,

I'm experiencing very similar problems and I have tried changing my sonos channel, my router channel, compressed vs uncompressed vs automatic, the use of a bridge vs no bridge. I have zero issues with streaming services so why would wireless signals in the area cut out line-in only audio and not streaming services that are also transmitting from speaker to speaker via WIFI. I've been building my system for 2 years now and have been patient that this issue would be resolved with an update but sadly it still exists. I would really appreciate a solution.
I seem to have the same problem. I have one Play 5 connected to the TV (plug-in) and paired this with a second Play 5. I have tried all the above suggestions but it does not solve the problem. The sound cuts out and there is no clear pattern. I cannot see the reason for this problem, since the line-in option is used and the trafic in the wifi-network should not interfere.

Would be very happy if this is possible to solve.
I seem to have the same problem. I have one Play 5 connected to the TV (plug-in) and paired this with a second Play 5. I have tried all the above suggestions but it does not solve the problem. The sound cuts out and there is no clear pattern. I cannot see the reason for this problem, since the line-in option is used and the trafic in the wifi-network should not interfere.

Hey I've been tackling this for a few evenings now. I narrowed down the problem to sonos connect, the solution with compressed output doesn't work because of the synchronisation.

I found that restarting the Sonos Connect from time to time helps, I also restarted my router.

Other than that I will also contact sonos support or return the device.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I have a Westinghouse TV at home that causes audio interruptions randomly no matter what device I plug into the analog audio out. It's definitely possible that your TV is having an issue - have you tried another source such as a phone or computer wired to the CONNECT input for testing? I would give that a try and if the issue is there with another device, give us a call. If it's not present, I would suspect your TV or the source device of being the actual reason for the playback interruption.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hey I've been tackling this for a few evenings now. I narrowed down the problem to sonos connect, the solution with compressed output doesn't work because of the synchronisation.

I found that restarting the Sonos Connect from time to time helps, I also restarted my router.

I would definitely recommend giving us a call, we'll be able to help you resolve this.

I would definitely recommend giving us a call, we'll be able to help you resolve this.

What's your number? Can I call the US Support from Europe?

What's your number? Can I call the US Support from Europe?

I've submitted diagnostic info under the number: 5352511

I'm really giving up on this piece of s***t (i.e. CONNECT), it's a battle and it really doesn't work.
I´m having the exact same problem !

Line in cuts out randomly. No problems ever with streaming services.

It sounds like this must be something with the software. Sonos - You need to check up on this.

Extremely annoying !
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I´m having the exact same problem !

Line in cuts out randomly. No problems ever with streaming services.

It sounds like this must be something with the software. Sonos - You need to check up on this.

Extremely annoying !

Hey Jonas,

The line-in connection requires one of the highest about of streaming bandwidth and tends to have some of the lowest allowance for errors. Generally speaking, if you have line-in cutouts it network related or environmental, something that can usually be fixed if you'd like a hand.

If you're not playing a source of audio on the line-in that requires syncing with video, you can go to Settings > Room Settings and set the line-in level to level 4 Airplay for your connection. That connection has an increased buffer to allow for degraded connections.

I'd be happy to take a look at a diagnostic for you as well. You can follow the directions here to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number after having some trouble with the line-in. It's best to grab one within 10 minutes.
I have the same problem. It helped a lot when I changed line in level to 10. Settings > room settings > pick your connect amp > line in > pick 10. Hope this helps cause it is super annoying to watch a movie like this.
I fixed my problem yesterday by reorganising my wifi channels around the house. The 2.4ghz spectrum used by Sonos can get a little crowded and with my access points (3) all adaptivley switch to avoid interference it's not surprising that the Sonos net gets jumped on. First I switch the Sonos net to channel 11. Next I change SSIDs on my BT router so the 2.4 & 5ghz channels were different. 5hz has a wider bandwidth and is less crowded. I made this the default for all housebound wifi. Then I put the three APs running on 2.4Ghz on channels 1,4, & 7 to prevent crosstalk. Finally I switch my TV and Sky+ box wifi to pick up the 5Ghz SSID. problem fixed. Stable strong separate wifi networks and killer sound from my TV through my SONOS !
One point Yannock, channel 7 actually overlaps channel 11, so that will still be interfering with the Sonos channel, try 6 instead. To be honest you be able to put all the APs on the same channel, they shouldn't interfere with each other too much as they're presumably separated by physical distance (otherwise you wouldn't need three of them I'm guessing?).
Userlevel 2
I have the same issue, I've been talking with Sonos support and send a few diagnostics.
We've tried to change WiFi channel, disable the farthest Play:3 (hum...which is only 5 meters from the Play:5 with no door or seperation wall) and enable compression.
Obviously, you can't watch any video with compression enabled, there is too much latency.

Sonos support ended up with claiming that I have to buy a PLAYBAR to solve the issue as they cannot guarantee Sonos to work properly when using Line In without compression.

So the idea is to spend 780€ and you also have to only use SURROUND mode (which is the only mode that uses 5Ghz band) ?

Frankly, I'm not satisfied with this solution and I don't have 780€ to spend, I already spend around 2000€ which is a lot of money !
Considering the heavy price of Sonos, support team have to find a true solution.
dubwise,

SONOS is a great system, but there are physical limits. There must be quite a lot of WiFi interference in your area. Sometimes physically separating wireless units from other nearby electronics units is helpful. Wiring one or more SONOS units to the router or each other may be helpful. 5GHz is used only for the surround speakers and SUB. 5GHz will not help your situation.
Hi all - I have a similar problem but with one difference - I have a line in into a play 5 and it cuts out intermittently on the same device. When it happens it takes about 2 minutes to come back and during that time on the app it says something like 'the input is not available'. I did suffer a power outage and the router took some time to come back on, and one of the wireless sonos 1s still haven't been able to connect. The play 5 is hardwired in. Any thoughts about what I could yet to figure it out? It didn't happen before the power loss and the updated app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi all - I have a similar problem but with one difference - I have a line in into a play 5 and it cuts out intermittently on the same device. When it happens it takes about 2 minutes to come back and during that time on the app it says something like 'the input is not available'. I did suffer a power outage and the router took some time to come back on, and one of the wireless sonos 1s still haven't been able to connect. The play 5 is hardwired in. Any thoughts about what I could yet to figure it out? It didn't happen before the power loss and the updated app.

Hi Gelb,

It sounds like your PLAY:5 is losing connection to the audio source from time to time. Please try removing the audio cable and then plugging it back in on both sides, making sure it is fully inserted.

If this does not resolve the issue, try another audio cable.

If you're still getting this error, please send in a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number, I'll take a look. Here's how to submit reports.
Hi Jeff - thanks very much for your quick reply. I tried unplugging both ends and changing the cable as well. I waited for the audio to cut out again and quickly pressed 'submit diagnostics' and it hung and then said 'unable to submit diagnostics'. I waited for the sound to come back, and it submitted diagnostics very quickly with this reference number 6358176. I wonder if it has something to do with the controller software? Perhaps resetting the whole system would be advisable? One other speaker is refusing to join the network - I go through the process of re-adding it and at the last step it says it failed. Do you suggest anything software-side that I could do to see if it is a controller issue?

Many thanks again - Gelb
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It can't hurt to re-boot your system - Switch off the power to your router, all Sonos equipment and EVERYTHING attached to the network including phones, tablets. Then switch router back on, wait for it to connect to Wi-Fi and broadcast, then Bridge or Boost if you have them (Wait a few mins), then Sonos Speakers, then the rest of your devices.

Do NOT factory reset any of your gear unless Sonos tell you to or one of the more senior board members suggests it.

Jeff will review your last diagnostic and report back
Thanks very much, Stuart. I've restarted the system (unplugged everything) and restarted the router, but I will be sure to wait for a reply before I reset the whole system - thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff - thanks very much for your quick reply. I tried unplugging both ends and changing the cable as well. I waited for the audio to cut out again and quickly pressed 'submit diagnostics' and it hung and then said 'unable to submit diagnostics'. I waited for the sound to come back, and it submitted diagnostics very quickly with this reference number 6358176. I wonder if it has something to do with the controller software? Perhaps resetting the whole system would be advisable? One other speaker is refusing to join the network - I go through the process of re-adding it and at the last step it says it failed. Do you suggest anything software-side that I could do to see if it is a controller issue?

Many thanks again - Gelb

Hi Gelb,

Your system is getting hit with wireless interference. This has caused your missing Sonos unit to be unable to communicate with your router. That unit is sending and receiving information wirelessly from other Sonos units, but its connection is not strong enough to communicate with your router and receive a valid network address. This is why it doesn't show up in your controller. Please start by changing the wireless channel on your Sonos system, here's how.

Once the channel has changed your missing Sonos unit may be able to get a network address on its own. If it doesn't show up in a few minutes, try rebooting your router and then also reboot the missing Sonos unit. You can also try the other wireless channel available.

Reducing interference should also help with the audio interruptions.

Please send in a new diagnostic report if you continue to have any issues.
Hi Jeff - I will do and will report back. I just wanted to highlight that the audio is dropping out from the input into the Play 3 while playing the audio on that play 3 - I'm not trying to play the line-in audio on another speaker.
Hi Jeff - i have changed channel and restarted. I'm sure I'll be able to connect the wayward speaker eventually, but my main issue is the audio is dropping out from the input into the Play 5 while playing the audio on that play 5 - I'm not trying to play the line-in audio on another speaker - it's the hard-wired connection into the play 5 that is getting interrupted on that play 5. Should I reset my whole system? I was thinking it could be tied to the update to the sonos software I was pushed a week back - I installed it just prior to this happening.