Answered

Line out latency?

• 7 November 2017
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi,
I've got a zp80 hooked up to a Yamaha RX-V671 through optical out / in. This plays fine in itself but when grouped with other zones (zp100s), I get some latency issues with a very slight delay between this one and the others. Is this expected behaviour and is there anything I can do to easily resolve this?
Cheers
Bern
icon

Best answer by John B 7 November 2017, 23:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Hi. There is no latency on the line out. But there is Digital Sound Processing in the amp itself. This is common in AV receivers, unlike in hifi amps. You may find the amp has a 'direct' mode (or some other name) that switches this off.
Badge
I had the same issue with my AV receiver, very common. Like John B said, it's the AV processing the sound, not the Sonos. I switched my Connect to analog cables instead of digital and it's perfectly in sync with my Play3 and Connect:Amp. A fair trade for signal quality. (Honestly, I don't hear a big difference between analog and digital, I have a mediocre AV receiver)
I had the same issue with my AV receiver, very common. Like John B said, it's the AV processing the sound, not the Sonos. I switched my Connect to analog cables instead of digital and it's perfectly in sync with my Play3 and Connect:Amp. A fair trade for signal quality. (Honestly, I don't hear a big difference between analog and digital, I have a mediocre AV receiver)Thanks that's helpful. Just to clarify something. The quality of the receiver as a whole isn't really the issue. It is the quality of the DAC in the receiver versus the quality of the DAC in the Connect... and the Connect DAC is pretty good. If anything I would expect the Connect DAC to be better than that in a mediocre AV receiver. We often hear what we expect to hear.
But I also don't understand how analog to digital eliminates this problem. As far as I know, only the use of Pure Direct/Stereo mode on the AVR does because that bypasses receiver DSP.
But I also don't understand how analog to digital eliminates this problem. As far as I know, only the use of Pure Direct/Stereo mode on the AVR does because that bypasses receiver DSP.To be honest Kumar I don't know. I am pretty sure others on here have had latency issues with analog inputs and I have never suggested trying analog as a solution.

But I don't find it entirely implausible that a particular amp would not attempt to do any processing of what it gets via a stereo analog input. It is said to be 'Digital Sound Processing' that is the problem.

There are certainly some on here who are more knowledgeable than I about this stuff...hopefully one of them will drop by and enlighten us.

But I don't find it entirely implausible that a particular amp would not attempt to do any processing of what it gets via a stereo analog input.

Yes, that could be the reason. It may even not able to run DSP on these inputs if these are delivered by just 2 audio in sockets marked L/R on the receiver. Is this a generic limitation of all, and do all AVRs even have such sockets - no idea here as well.