Question

Line In - Turntable - Connect - Cutting out

• 7 September 2019
  • 10 replies

Badge +1
Hello -

I have a turntable/Connect set-up that cuts in and out (diagnostic: 1649217591). I realize this question has been asked before, I am wondering if there is a way to alleviate the issue without having to compress the sound.

Cheers,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

No. The reason it says "Airplay Device" is historical. (Originally one had to use an Airport Express wired to a Line-In to receive Airplay.) It's a bit of an anachronism now, but it's useful to bump up the amount of buffering on any Line-In.
Set the Line-In Source Name to 'Airplay Device'. You can overtype this with your own choice of name later.

This will increase the amount of buffering, improving the resilience against dropouts, without changing the compression.
Great thank you I will give that a try
See this thread about changing the Line-in source name to increase the buffer size as @ratty mentions. It has a few screenshots too which may assist you to set it up.

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/line-in-drop-out-blues-6815263
Badge +1
Seems to be working - thanks all
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Are you using Sonosnet (bandwidth then on sonos network) requiring on unit hooked to router via ethernet cable.
Badge +1
The connect is not hardwired to the router, I have a playbar that is connected. Is this what you are asking?

Do I need an apple phone to do the Airplay Device trick? I have an android.
Do I need an apple phone to do the Airplay Device trick? I have an android.
No, any controller will do. All you're doing is increasing the system's buffering from 75ms to 500ms.
Badge +1
Ok - sorry last question - I am guessing the speakers need to be airplay compatible?
Badge +1
Great thank you I will give that a try
Seems to be working - thanks all
See how it holds up. If the problem returns you'll need to get Sonos feedback on a fresh diagnostic.