Question

Life time of Play5? only 2 years?

My Play 5 just stopped working (no power, no lights), and Technical support said the unit was dead and only offered an out of warranty replacement. I've only had the unit for 2 years and used it lightly (compared to the play 3 that I use daily).

Is a 2 year life span standard for the Play 5? I like the Sonos products, but I'm really disappointed at how quickly the unit died and Support's response. For $500, I was expecting it to last a lot longer and am hesitant to get another.

Have others had a similar issue? How long have other Play 5s lasted? Should I try to fix it on my own?

Thanks for your input!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I picked up my Play:5 in spring 2013... still running strong.

Not sure how much you'll be able to fix yourself.
I've been using Sonos for five years and never had a problem. What out of warranty deal did Sonos offer you?
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Mine has been running since November 2009. I have zoneplayer 100's (predecessor of Connect Amp) that go back to 2005 and some other Sonos equipment. I have had no problems with any of it. I think your experience is pretty unusual, or we would hear more failure stories here.
Badge
On both my 5 and sub I have a ups attached. Just because these things are too expensive.
I have 2 - Play 1s since they released, 1 set of Play 3s with sound bar and 3 sets of Play 5s (bought all 5s when Bestbuy made an ad mistake and saved $100 each) inside house an a Play 5 in garage that takes a heat/cold beating (gets carried out to pool yard - where is the waterproof one?) and ALL still going strong an sounding great for years. My Bose Lifestyles 35 display burned out after about 5 years though so its useless.
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
I have 3 Play:5 at home, and had another 7 at a previous job. From these 10 in total, 2 suffered from the "bass dissappearing" occasionally (but seemed to have been mitigated completely without intervention), and 1 suffered a PSU failure (no power, dead, like yours).

Sonos exchanged it with a repaired one for a €150 service fee since it was out of warranty. Don't know the exact cause, might have investigated if it was my personal unit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for jumping in everyone.

Generally speaking, Sonos players are designed to last much longer than 2 years, but with any complex electronic device problems can come up. We have a one year warranty for all products purchased through us, and as mentioned, even if it's outside that year we still offer a replacement option to get music playing again in your home in the case where something does happen. We've been known to replace 10 year old components with that same out of warranty policy, there's a replacement charge, but it's a significant discount over purchasing a new unit.

Please don't try to fix the unit on your own as it will invalidate any warranty coverage. We won't offer an out of warranty replacement for units that have been opened outside of our labs.
Sonos failures seem very rare. Most companies' attitude when a unit fails out of warranty is to shrug their shoulders and say "tough". Sonos are much better than that.
I had a Play:5 give up the ghost this past week. Same symptoms. Hopefully support gets back to me soon!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I had a Play:5 give up the ghost this past week. Same symptoms. Hopefully support gets back to me soon!

Hi Brian, looks like your email ticket is in the hands of a technician right now, they should be replying back to you soon. Let us know if you have any further questions or trouble.
Same situation , after 3 years my PLAY 5 stopped to work. It sounds very low ,needs to replace out of warranty,I'm really disappointed too.
Normally the lifetime is much greater but there is bound to be some distribution of failure times. Sonos terms for out of warranty replacement are normally very good. And I would draw your attention to one expression: "out of warranty". Other than Sonos, I have not yet come across another company whose out-of-warranty terms were anything other than "tough luck".
Badge +1
Mine gave up the ghost after 2 years as well. Is tech support available in the evenings (PDT) ? I work day shift and cannot make personal phone calls from the office .
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Mine gave up the ghost after 2 years as well. Is tech support available in the evenings (PDT) ? I work day shift and cannot make personal phone calls from the office .

Hey Ikomrad, our phone support is open until 9:00pm EST, which is until 6:00pm PDT. Let me know if you're not able to be home to call in by 6:00pm and I'll be more than happy to start an incident with our support team so you can work with them via email to start.
Badge +1

Hey Ikomrad, our phone support is open until 9:00pm EST, which is until 6:00pm PDT. Let me know if you're not able to be home to call in by 6:00pm and I'll be more than happy to start an incident with our support team so you can work with them via email to start.

Csn you open a case with the supper team? The time that I get home varies based on my workload, if I got paged for a high severity outage, etc. I plan on being home at 6pm today, but I'm on call this week and can be paged at any time 😞
We’ve created a ticket for you, reference number: 170516-002269 Please give us a call when you get the chance and we’ll be happy to work on this. Here’s our contact info: www.sonos.com/contact
Badge +1
We’ve created a ticket for you, reference number: 170516-002269 Please give us a call when you get the chance and we’ll be happy to work on this. Here’s our contact info: www.sonos.com/contact

Thanks. It turned out my unit was under warranty and Sonos is replacing it. I appreciate everyone's help! The Play 5 is the hub of my audio system. I send the Audiobook / Podcast audio from my phone to it using Airplay and an Airport express. My other speakers are Play 1's and do not have audio input ports I can use, so my house has been really quiet since the Play 5 broke 😞
My playbar just died. Retailer fobbed me off to Sonos help who don't appear to answer the call or return it.. 3 days now. It's had little use and for $1000 bucks I expect better.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
My playbar just died. Retailer fobbed me off to Sonos help who don't appear to answer the call or return it.. 3 days now. It's had little use and for $1000 bucks I expect better.

Hi MtLawleylynn, My apologies that you didn't receive a callback, our phones can be a bit busier this time of year. I've created an incident on your behalf to help move things along: 171219-001693

When you have a moment, I recommend reaching out to us on Twitter or Facebook Messenger as it will allow the team to gather more information as well as a video of the Playbar.
Badge
My Playbar is dead at 16 months. Not what I expected from what was supposed to be the best equipment. Obviously consumer protection laws in the US suck because I see they give a 2 year warranty in Europe. Nothing left for me to do now...
My Play 5 gen2 failed before less than 1 year usage. It's not able to join the network of my other Sonos devices.
I have two Play1s, one CONNECT which I've used for a little more than 2 years and are running fine.

Not quite happy with Sonos support! Specially the fact that they don't provide after work hours or weekend support. I'm only able to be on the call with them during non-work hours since they ask to be on phone call with them.

I've had too many back-and-forth email with them wherein I've been submitting the diagnostics however, it's been over a week and they've not yet given me a resolution. so so 😞 😞 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
My Play 5 gen2 failed before less than 1 year usage. It's not able to join the network of my other Sonos devices.
I have two Play1s, one CONNECT which I've used for a little more than 2 years and are running fine.

Not quite happy with Sonos support! Specially the fact that they don't provide after work hours or weekend support. I'm only able to be on the call with them during non-work hours since they ask to be on phone call with them.

I've had too many back-and-forth email with them wherein I've been submitting the diagnostics however, it's been over a week and they've not yet given me a resolution. so so 😞 😞 :(

If you want a warranty replacement you will most certainly need to talk to Sonos.

I'm sure you can arrange this