LG 65UH615V - Dolby Digital 5.1 passthrough

• 28 December 2016
  • 3 replies

Guys I have tried to search high and wide and haven't really found a satisfactory reassurance that this specific LG model will pass 5.1 from all the HDMI sources to its optical out. Can anyone confirm that it can do this please???

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Did you find out if this supported 5.1 passthrough?
Having checked the "About my Sonos" in the controller app, I can confirm I DO see it receiving a source of "Dolby 5.1" when watching movies from TV/Sky. I haven't had the same measure of success with gaming on the PS4, I believe that always says Dolby Stereo or something, but I think thats the PS4 being the issue not the TV or playbar.

Music playing from my phone via Spotify is really really good to me, comes out of all the speakers and now has thumping bass thanks to the Sub :)

Also, I have contacted both LG and Sonos about this and here are the Q&A dialogues for your info...
From LG...

Q: Can you please confirm if this specific TV can pass a 5.1 dolby digital signal through the optical out to my sonos playbar soundbar? If so, how do I check the settings are right so that it will pass 5.1 to the sound bar?

A: Please go to settings > all settings > sound > sound out > sound out ext. Speaker (optical). Please then select this to ‘Auto’. Once it has been selected to Auto, your TV will be able to produce a 5.1 dolby digital signal.

Q: Does this TV have an "HDCP 2.2-enabled" HDMI connection, so that it would work with SKY's new SkyQ UHD box?
A: I can confirm that the 65UH615V supports HDCP 2.2 across all HDMI ports.

From Sonos:

Q: Can you confirm if this particular LG TV model that i have purchased can actually send a true 5.1 signal to my playbar?

A: I have had a look at the specifications and it states that the TV has a Digital Audio Out (Optical) output, so it should work with the PLAYBAR. The specifications online doesn't actually state that it can pass a 5 G.1 Ghz audio signal, so therefore I can not confirm this 100%. However, the fact that it can decode DTS means I would be incredibly surprised it it can't.
Great! Thank you very much!