Let third party apps stream to Sonos from mobile devices

• 15 January 2014
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge
Customers are looking to stream audio from any third party app on a mobile device to Sonos Speakers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

But please use an open standard that doesn't depend on third party app devs to use a Sonos API. In other words, upnp for Android (i think) and Airplay for IOS
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How to play music apps on phones (ex. livephish, PhishOD) wirelessly that I do not see integrated into Sonos?. I have a Sonos Play:5 and was wondering if there is a way to listen to my "Phish" music apps such a "livephish" and "PhishOD" wirelessly? I can play these with the line in mode but this requires my phone to be plugged in to my Play:5. Is there way to integrate these apps into Sonos for wireless playblack and control? This can be done on my Bose Soundlink Mini with bluetooth and I would think there must be a way to do the same with Sonos somehow?
Yes, from mobile devices and home computers as well. Please create a way to connect to our Sonos speakers when listening to podcasts on apps we have paid for and downloaded (This American Life, RadioLab, etc) or from external websites.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can I play material off of my iPad or iPhone such as YouTube?.
Badge
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How to stream web site content. For example, I would like to listen to last week's radio show (something like This American Life) through the Sonos wireless speaker system. I don't see that the Sonos app allows us to access content through other online web sites or apps.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can I play the movie sounds on my iPad (Netflix, Amazon, you tube) through my songs speaker?. I have the play 5
In particular, I would like to see the Google Cast Receiver API implemented. Then we could cast to the Sonos from any app that supports Chromecast. We could also cast from a web browser.

https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/developers
In particular, I would like to see the Google Cast Receiver API implemented. Then we could cast to the Sonos from any app that supports Chromecast. We could also cast from a web browser.

https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/developers
I believe that audio (out) should be available for all the Sonos systems and not have it limited to the apps that are allowed to run through. I would love to have my Play 1 play audio from a video or even youtube
Agree. This will be limiting my interest to grow my Sonos collection in the future if they do not adopt open standards that allow me to play anything that I want.
I've recently bought a Play1, love the sound and the build quality but I mistakenly assumed that I could use it for Netflix etc.  This would be a great addition and increases the relevance of the Play1 in my opinion. Please do give this serious consideration if technically feasible.  Thanks
Sonos needs to integrate this(3rd party streaming from mobile devices), I have an iPhone and adding an airport express make the whole process of listening to music very cumbersome moving back and forth with volume controls , can sonos just not buy AirPlay license and make things simple, please please please.
I use my Sonos¦AMP many years, especially for BBq´s with friends. My ipad goes round and round and everyone can add his music via spotify in the BBQ playlist 🙂 So i want go further and i want to play DJ, like the app DJay2. They added spotify to his musiclibrary and that is incredible. So now we can play DJ, but not with my Sonos. So i have to look for another solution in my backyard. My Sonos is now 6 years old and i think i have to change the amplifier anyway. So if Sonos will not support any DJ-App or develop his own DJ app, i concern to by another system.

So many people ask for it. Sonos is the higher class in streaming music, it has its price. But what i wonder its most, is the support of Sonos. They don't answer to this posts. Is there no one responsible for this forum ? Or is this only a forum for Sonos users ?

Thank you for reading this out there Sonos Support !
So if you stream from a third party app how you control which rooms you are streaming to?
All Sonos devices should come up as devices almost like AirPlay does
My question comes from the points made above that you should be able to send sound from any app to Sonos speakers and that the app should not have to use a Sonos API. So how do you make it so any existing app without any awareness of Sonos can somehow select Sonos speakers and play through them? The requirement as it has been described cannot assume the use of AirPlay or Google Play.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What would be an example of a speaker that can do this without using a standard by which the speaker uses.  You said no Airplay, no Chromecast, and I would assume then you would include no Bluetooth in that list.  Without using one of those 3 standards I'm not sure how any speaker could play from all apps (as unless a standard then it would be up to the app itself to implement for a certain speaker - which is the case like Google Play does for Sonos).

What would be the standard be by which all apps could send?
What would be an example of a speaker that can do this without using a standard by which the speaker uses.  You said no Airplay, no Chromecast, and I would assume then you would include no Bluetooth in that list.  Without using one of those 3 standards I'm not sure how any speaker could play from all apps (as unless a standard then it would be up to the app itself to implement for a certain speaker - which is the case like Google Play does for Sonos).

What would be the standard be by which all apps could send?

That was my point. What is being requested in this thread does not make a lot of sense. It should be restated in a form that Sonos could actually implement on existing hardware.
Just like most of the gadgets using Bluetooth that connect to our handphone but plays both audio and video, there is no reason for SONOR to limit to only audio. Music also comes with video and being heavily circulated through Whatsapp around the world. Being owner of SONOR system, we should persistently request SONOR to upgrade their application to play video.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Beside that AirPlay is proprietary to Apple, they would charge Sonos per Apple's MFI agreement between 1.5% and 8% of the retail price PER device (if i interpreted the agreement correctly - please hold me honest).

How many of us would applaude Sonos for adding 8% on top of the PlayBar and Play:5?

Here is a question for the Sonos team and all our community experts:
While the iPod express carries analogue / optical output, i don't know if it can send meta data (like artist, album, song title etc).

If Sonos could utilize the data stream and implement it into their queue management this should be more than sufficient. Preferably they could upgrade the bridge and boost with audio input to make this a smooth combo and eliminate the need for a Play:5.

Thoughts?
Sonos customer service rocks as I had a noob question the other day, however, with that being said, I want to play Live Phish & Umphrey's McGee App via Sonos....I've only purchased the sound bar to this point, thus, if they expect me to go further, they must allow 3rd party penetration.
/kins
Badge
I just bought a playbar with a couple of play1 to build a surround system. It was a huge disappointment to discover SONOS (still after 2 years) didn't support a simple way to transmit the whole Android Audio to sonos system. Still have to use my BT audio box to listen to podcast. Is it a problem of proprietary rights ? Or is it just that SONOS doesn't like to it ? 1.200 CHF for a wifi system that I have to connect chromecast and cable to stream a simple audiobook audio, it's nonsense...