Answered

Legacy Products

• 24 January 2020
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 2

I have two Play:1, one Play:3, one Playbar, one Sub, a Sonos One (Gen 1), and one Connect which I purchased approximately 3 years ago. All of these appear to be on the Legacy Products list, but you currently do not have a modern product to take the place of my system products. Will I have to upgrade my entire system after May 2020 or the near future and does this mean that you will ONLY offer me 30% on new products which is a pittance of what I purchased my entire system for?

On a different note, I was informed my products were manufactured in 2015 or earlier and only had a 5 years or so lifespan. Why didn’t Sonos recall the older products knowing back then that these systems would be outdated in the future? Because of course, retailers aren’t going to TELL a customer that a product has a shelf life because they are all about the profit and will sell the product no matter what. 

icon

Best answer by jgatie 24 January 2020, 21:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

John sorry I was to quick! I use homebridge-zp to use Siri to just put Sonos speaker on and off. Quicker that using the Sonos app to turn Sonos of in the other room when the TV starts. Sonos should have a build in feature in the app for just turning of a room when turning on the TV but no…..

Just for airplay there is a package for Synology 

https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect

Thanks for the info. I won't revive the debate about whether there really is a simple solution to this. 

Sonos really have moved on from this and aren't going to revisit it IMO.

The vast majority of Sonos customers were unaffected, and the rest have found their solution now (which for a very few will have been selling their gear).

Like it or not, this is history.

@John B Sorry I was not aware that a bridge has been suggested by others. And beside that I think it is the only way Sonos can go to keep customers happy. 

But you asked for the Airplay solution for older Sonos speakers I use the Homebridge plugin for Sonos ZonePlayer that runs on homebridge in a container on my Synology.

https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge-zp  

Maybe we should ask a developer to create a “virtual “ Sonos bridge that runs on Synology. Should be possible!

@GJHV .This mythical 'bridge' has been suggested many times. It is debated in many places in the 170 pages of the main thread. It was never feasible and that ship sailed months ago anyway.

Out of personal interest, though, as I have a Synology NAS, I’d be interested to know which software product you use in order to Airplay to non-Airplay compatible speakers. Thanks in advance.

Sonos just needs to create a NEW “Bridge” to keep all hardware working as one system! Everybody will except that new features can’t be introduced on very old hardware. But making home audio systems after a few years "legacy products" is not acceptable for a very high priced product.  And it will cost Sonos many very loyal customer who have been advocates for Sonos for many years.
Technically it is possible to even add Airplay 2 to all speakers via a NEW Bridge with simply better specs. Sonos customers deserve this from the company they supported for many years.

FYI I use Airplay on ALL my Sonos speakers via a very simple software product on my Synology NAS. 

from the Sonos website:

“Easily connect speakers over WiFi to create the sound system you want, and expand it any time.”

This whole thing is very confusing.  All my products are from 2017 forward but the new Sonos App (S2) says I have some incompatible products so I can’t use the app (unless I split - don’t want to do that).  I can’t figure out what I have the is supposedly incompatible

Go here and login: https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/system/households/devices/

It will list your devices and their status as S1 or S2 compatible 

This whole thing is very confusing.  All my products are from 2017 forward but the new Sonos App (S2) says I have some incompatible products so I can’t use the app (unless I split - don’t want to do that).  I can’t figure out what I have the is supposedly incompatible

I was pissed when I read the announcement that the “legacy” products would no longer be supported. Just got this email today…sound like they got the message and are working to make it so all of us long time loyal customers don’t walk away. If you think about the way other technology companies deal with legacy products I actually think these guys are doing the best they can to innovate while not leaving those of us who invested in them in the early days in the dust.

We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you of the path forward:

First, rest assured that come May, when we end new software updates for our legacy products, they will continue to work just as they do today. We are not bricking them, we are not forcing them into obsolescence, and we are not taking anything away. Many of you have invested heavily in your Sonos systems, and we intend to honor that investment for as long as possible. While legacy Sonos products won’t get new software features, we pledge to keep them updated with bug fixes and security patches for as long as possible. If we run into something core to the experience that can’t be addressed, we’ll work to offer an alternative solution and let you know about any changes you’ll see in your experience.

Secondly, we heard you on the issue of legacy products and modern products not being able to coexist in your home. We are working on a way to split your system so that modern products work together and get the latest features, while legacy products work together and remain in their current state. We’re finalizing details on this plan and will share more in the coming weeks.

While we have a lot of great products and features in the pipeline, we want our customers to upgrade to our latest and greatest products when they’re excited by what the new products offer, not because they feel forced to do so. That’s the intent of the trade up program we launched for our loyal customers.

Thank you for being a Sonos customer. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I hope that you’ll forgive our misstep, and let us earn back your trust. Without you, Sonos wouldn't exist and we’ll work harder than ever to earn your loyalty every single day.

If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Sincerely,
Patrick

Patrick Spence
CEO, Sonos

I have two Play:1, one Play:3, one Playbar, one Sub, a Sonos One (Gen 1), and one Connect which I purchased approximately 3 years ago. All of these appear to be on the Legacy Products list, but you currently do not have a modern product to take the place of my system products. Will I have to upgrade my entire system after May 2020 or the near future and does this mean that you will ONLY offer me 30% on new products which is a pittance of what I purchased my entire system for?

On a different note, I was informed my products were manufactured in 2015 or earlier and only had a 5 years or so lifespan. Why didn’t Sonos recall the older products knowing back then that these systems would be outdated in the future? Because of course, retailers aren’t going to TELL a customer that a product has a shelf life because they are all about the profit and will sell the product no matter what. 

There’s a lot of misinformation (not to mention downright lies) going on right now.  Don’t fall for it. Some facts:

1. The only (possible) legacy device you own is the Connect. Check at Stanleys_4’s link to see a list.
  2. Many devices manufactured before 2015 had a very long life.  The very oldest lasting 15 years, and they were designed before this problem was even thought of.  Later products, such as yours, are more future proof. 
  3. The only ‘modern’ devices you have that are no longer manufactured are the Play:1 and Play:3.  You can expect Sonos to keep them up to date for at least 5 years after manufacture.  History states it is often much more (see above)
  4. Profit has nothing to do with it.  The legacy devices announced all share the same trait; they have only 32 MB of RAM and storage.  They are the only devices with this little amount of resources, and they simply cannot load and run the software after the increased functionality comes on May 20.  Nothing nefarious or tricky, just plain old hardware limitations. 
Userlevel 2

Oh sorry, they are not on the Legacy list yet, but they have stopped manufacturing these products I was told. Will these components eventually meet the same fate as the currently listed Legacy products since they are no longer being manufactured?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

None of them except possibly the Connect are legacy products, what list are you looking at? The Connect may be if it was made pre-2015, check the date code in the first four of the serial number.

You can see your devices status here if you log in.

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/system/households/devices/