Question

Is there going to be a new play 3?

• 26 August 2019
  • 10 replies

Hi Sonos,
I just wanted to voice my disappointment at the discontinuation of the Play 3. I experimented with a couple play 1's and loved the sound and system so I decided I would to go with sonos when the time was right. I was building a house. Just finished about a year ago. Spent all my money. It's taken me a while to save up for the luxury items like speakers. I finally saved up some dosh to buy the playbar and 4 - 6 of the play 3 speakers to go around my house only I've discovered that the play 3 is extinct and I can't find anywhere in my country that still has them.

Here's some feedback for the Product Managers.
  • Sonos play 1 is too small for my loungeroom and dining room and play 5 is too big and expensive
  • Sonos play 3 is the perfect size and price for me.
  • Why not have a cheaper version of play 5 that doesn't include all the bloated voice activation tech?
  • I already have voice activated phone and tv - why do I need voice activated speakers?
  • To be honest, the less devices I have in my house listening to my conversations the happier I am.
Would be cool if you could shed light on whether or not there will be a new play 3 coming as this will help me decide whether to wait, or to go with a completely different eco system. For now, it looks like I will have to choose a different system altogether.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Sonos,
I just wanted to voice my disappointment at the discontinuation of the Play 3. I experimented with a couple play 1's and loved the sound and system so I decided I would to go with sonos when the time was right. I was building a house. Just finished about a year ago. Spent all my money. It's taken me a while to save up for the luxury items like speakers. I finally saved up some dosh to buy the playbar and 4 - 6 of the play 3 speakers to go around my house only I've discovered that the play 3 is extinct and I can't find anywhere in my country that still has them.

Here's some feedback for the Product Managers.
  • Sonos play 1 is too small for my loungeroom and dining room and play 5 is too big and expensive
  • Sonos play 3 is the perfect size and price for me.
  • Why not have a cheaper version of play 5 that doesn't include all the bloated voice activation tech?
  • I already have voice activated phone and tv - why do I need voice activated speakers?
  • To be honest, the less devices I have in my house listening to my conversations the happier I am.
Would be cool if you could shed light on whether or not there will be a new play 3 coming as this will help me decide whether to wait, or to go with a completely different eco system. For now, it looks like I will have to choose a different system altogether.

Hi

I'll address your post Title and next your Bullet Points in the order you listed them...

Title
Sonos does not share information about product development, features etc., before they are released.

Bullet Point 1
By small are you saying that the Play:1 sound is not robust enough vs the Play 3? To be honest IMO one of the reasons the Play 3 was discontinued is because the Play:1 audio was basically on par with the Play 3 excepting the stereo effect offered by the Play 3 within 3- 4 feet. Beyond that the Play 3 acoustically was indistinguishable from a Play:1.

Bullet Point 2
What does size have to do with sound/acoustic reproduction? It's the components/materials and technology (i.e. crossovers, DAC's etc) used inside the cabinet that determine how accurate the recording is reproduced. Price today of a Play 3 versus a Play:1, Sonos One or Play 5 is relative to what price one might find a Play 3 selling for. When the Play 3 was an active Sonos product it was more expensive than a Play:1. *

Bullet Point 3
A smaller version of the Play 5 isn't a bad idea. Although some might argue that the Beam fills that's gap. What Voice Activation tech are you referring to in the Play 5? Maybe you've confused it with the Sonos One and Beam with Alexa or Google assistant???

Bullet Point 4
You don't need voice activated speakers. It's a personal choice. However, voice activation or more aplty termed Voice Assistance is a market trend not just in speakers but in cell phones, cars, and even home appliances. The cost to include Voice Assistance is no longer prohibitive as it once was in the early days. Sonos still offers the Play:1 without Voice Assistance and No, I haven't forgotten that you don't care for the Play:1,

Bullet Point 5
Voice Assistance can be turned off in All Sonos products. Activation or not is decided by the end user.

Your Last Comment
Choosing a different system is of course your option. If you wouldn't mind let us know which product you choose and what you like about it vs Sonos.

* Materials used in the cabinet can also influence acoustic reproduction.

Cheers!
Hi mate,

Great response.

The purpose for my post was to give my feedback hoping my post would be noticed by the PMs and perhaps add it to their user stories.

Shame Sonos can't say whether or not there will be a new v of play 3 as it would impact my decision making, and in this case it looks like they will be losing a customer anyway.

I didn't realise the play 1 and play 3 were on par with each other. When I listened to them in the shop the play 3 definitely sounded better at high volume.

Having 2 x play1's in my lounge room and 2 in the adjacent dining room (both large spaces) didn't quite do the job when we're having a little party and want a bit more volume, so I put them in my bedroom. If you're saying the 1 and 3 are on par with each other then maybe the 3 would not have been good enough either.

Physical size doesn't matter at all if the sound is good at high volume and fills the space, although the play 5 is quite large and will look a bit chunky up on the wall. The price difference and power means that I would only need 1 per room. That would look odd just having 1 huge speaker up in 1 corner (mounts and power built into the walls already in the top corners).

Voice control/Voice Assistance (whatever the term is for Sonos) - I feel like I'm paying more for something I don't need or want, especially if I'm having 2 or more speakers in the same room - why do they all need it?

I care for the play 1. I've got 2 in my bedroom - perfect; 2 in my son's bedroom - perfect. I love them for the smaller rooms.

I'm not sure what system I'm going to choose. I have to start searching all over again. Knowing a bit about how the universe works, I will finally choose something else, go out and buy it, and the week after that is when a new version of the play 3 will come out 😉
Userlevel 7
@richandersen.dj

Glad you found my response interesting. Let me clarify a bit more regarding the Play:1 and Play 3 being on par.

As I mentioned or tried to explain the Play 3 had an advantage at 3 - 4 feet due to its ability to offer a stereo effect that the Play 1 could not. Most people are 6 to 8 feet or more away from the speaker when listening. At greater distances the stereo effect of the Play 3 diminished to the point of sounding mono than stereo.

The acoustic difference at 6 to 8 feet and beyond was very minimal in favor of the Play 3. Therefore IMO ( and possibly that of Sonos) why continue the Play 3. Also remember that the Play 1 was introduced a year or more after the Play 3.

i hope this clarifies things a bit more.

Cheers!
Oh yeah thanks for the clarification @AjTrek1 . Makes sense but that's why we usually have (at least) 2 speakers in each room, right?
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Have you looked at the IKEA speakers, maybe the bookshelf speaker will be the right size for you, and save you some money!

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/symfonisk-wifi-bookshelf-speaker-black-80357557

Coming out 27/9 in Aus
https://www.ikea.com/ms/en_AU/ikea-collections/symfonisk/index.html
Hi @dave77, Thanks mate. I had seen them but going off the reviews they might not be for me. Definitely happy to pay more for a bigger and better sound. I need something that’s like between the play 1 and the play 5 - like a play 3 😁
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As Aj said, I can't comment about if a new version of the Play:3 will be showing up.

Generally the community will request two Sonos Ones (or Play:1s) stereo paired together to create a wider sound stage and bigger sound. The Play:5 is also a great option, and isn't that much bigger than the Play:3.

Another suggestion would be if you wanted to use a pair of bookshelf speakers or even built in ceiling or wall speakers with a Sonos Amp. The Amp would be able to get you the Sonos sources, and group with the other speakers you already have. You could even check out these Sonos Architectural speakers. Cost wise, it's a bit more, potentially around the cost of 2 Play:5s, but it would have a more invisible look if your worried about having big speakers in the room.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Bullet Point 1
By small are you saying that the Play:1 sound is not robust enough vs the Play 3? To be honest IMO one of the reasons the Play 3 was discontinued is because the Play:1 audio was basically on par with the Play 3 excepting the stereo effect offered by the Play 3 within 3- 4 feet. Beyond that the Play 3 acoustically was indistinguishable from a Play:1.

Bullet Point 2
What does size have to do with sound/acoustic reproduction? It's the components/materials and technology (i.e. crossovers, DAC's etc) used inside the cabinet that determine how accurate the recording is reproduced. Price today of a Play 3 versus a Play:1, Sonos One or Play 5 is relative to what price one might find a Play 3 selling for. When the Play 3 was an active Sonos product it was more expensive than a Play:1. *

Bumping this thread, I would like to comment on these two points.

On the second point first: Of course size matters! Size matters for the simple reason that the size and excursion of the drivers determines how loud loudspakers can get, how deep they can play, and how much they distort when playing at a given level. All else equal, a somewhat larger loudspeaker - with more radiating mass and a larger cabinet - will be able to play louder, deeper and with less distortion. This become particularly important if one listens to dynamic music with lots of dynamic peaks, such as classical recordings for example. At my living room setup - where a sonos connect is the source for large active hifi speakers - my “baseline” listening is around 80 db. But I frequently have peaks when listening to classical music of 110 db, a full 30 db over baseline. Ideally, loudspeakers should be able to do that with ease.

So is the play:1 equal to the play:3? No, and yes. The play:3 due to its size can play louder and with less distortion and power compression. That’s good. But the play:1, being a newer construction, probably makes better use of its materials. The play:1 has a better dispersion pattern, and if paired in stereo together with the sub, will easily beat a pair of play:3. A pair of play:3 vs a pair of play:1? I’ve heard both, and I’m torn. Both have their strengths. Play:3 wins on dynamics, play:1 wins on clarity and stereo imaging.

I’m therefore very much in the camp which hopes for a new play:3. I would like a play:1 which is just a little bit larger, and thus able to play dynamic music convincingly without the sub. More or less along the size of the play:3, but possibly with the design of the play:1, and implementing the better technology that has been used in the play:1 and the play:5. For my kitchen setup that would be perfect: Can’t fit a stereo pair of play:5, whereas a stereo pair of the play:1 becomes a little bit too meek on its own without a sub (which I can’t fit either).

Here’s hoping!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

How about a pair of Moves. Considering these for my garage/workshop. Bigger than 1s as can use then in the garden too. Similar price to the 3s and probably louder…. if that’s your thing. 

I’ve been a Sonos loyal for over a decade, just bumping this thread with my 5 pence. 
2xsonos one/sl (as play 1 is also discontinued now) requires 2 places to take space and plug in. I would be surprised if total power requirements is less than 1x Play 3. We know that a Sonos system is not the most eco friendly but we don’t complain, it sounds great right. Anyway that’s one issue. The next thing is that a Beam is in no way a replacement for a Play 3, get real and stop, just stop. The OP’s concern about voice assisted tech is totally founded and surprise surprise Sonos understands that hence the SL model, the market is here for no mics, yay! these devices don’t understand Scottish anyway so there’s an entire country that isn’t interested in them for a start and... anyway let’s get back on point. 
Play 5 is too big for all the smaller shelf’s and places that the Play 3 lives, also it’s not just too big, it’s bulky and has a presence in a room when at eye level or below that is fugly compared to a Play 3 so it doesn’t compare from an aesthetic point of view either, also the versatility of an upgrade path to a stereo pair is really expensive (not that you would want a pair of these behemoths in a normal-largish room anyway without all the hassle and expense of wall mounting just to neatly hide them out of sight)

1xPLAY 3 is the sweet spot vs all the other configurations and I don’t see the problem with an upgrade of this model, it wouldn’t hurt sales of little brother or big brother because they both have their places, ONE’s live in small rooms, rears in a surround set-up or just in any room you want a decent sound but are not that fussy about the sound stage and love the way the Sonos system works. 5’s are for BIG rooms or for those with more money than sense (genuinely if your after that much quality and power there’s better separates you could buy, audiophiles would not use these or care about connectivity so it’s kinda bragging rights, hey if you got it flaunt I guess I ain’t knocking it, I’m more sticking up for joe public and his limited budget which probably has a decent percentage of Sonos sales)
Anyway as you can probably tell, the Play 3 is my favourite out of the whole one up apart from the SUB! 
Time will tell if there is a future version to appear but the early signs are not favourable and I’m sure that as passionate Sonos are about their customers being listened to and delivering, their customers are just as passionate about having what they would like and this market space is open, all it takes is a few smart cookies to offer a similar system and boom the Sonos empire will crumble, don’t be complacent Sonos, get the job done, if it doesn’t make sense to your ideology then your being too ideological and that’s nothing to be proud of lol.