Answered

Is the original Beam already outdated?

Badge +1

Hi there, I’m relatively new to Sonos, buying a number of items last year.  I later added a Beam to my bedroom TV which sounds great.  About a month after I bought it, the Beam gen 2 was announced - a little annoying but I have no issues with the quality of my original Beam.  But I had no idea when I bought it that it was so due for replacement or would have waited for gen 2. 

Today I got an email from Sonos offering me 15% off to trade it in for a new Beam. Is my old Beam likely to be obsolete and stop working soon (it is less than a year old). I have read about Sonos making older stuff no longer work and a little concerned. 

icon

Best answer by SarahN 8 May 2022, 13:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi

I asked this very question yesterday and also did a search of older topics as I recently bought a new boxed Playbase for my bedroom from a retailer that deals with older stock of discontinued products. The Playbase is also eligible for the 15% discount.

You can still use your old product even after applying for the upgrade discount. It will work as normal and get all updates as normal.

It looks like Sonos have just added a lot of the ‘older’ stuff to the discount/upgrade list that’s all. 

Sonos doesn’t have speakers ‘stop working’, as a rule. So far, in the history of the company, the only devices that are no longer supported/functioning are a remote control and an iPod dock. All their speakers continue to be supported. 

Badge +1

Thank you both for your replies - @SarahN, are you saying you get 15% off a new speaker, but don’t have to trade in your old speaker - so I could move my Beam Gen 1 to the spare room, and get 15% off off a new Gen 2 ??  Maybe I’m misinterpreted your comment!

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Yes that's exactly right. You keep the Gen 1 Beam and get 15% off a new speaker bought directly from Sonos ☺️. The Gen 1 will continue to work as it does now 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos has vowed to keep their devices supported least five years after ending production - as stated above their track record is much better.