Is Sonos concept going to survive?

• 15 November 2017
  • 14 replies

It is clear that Sonos does not want to be another Bluetooth speaker otherwise they would have done so by now. But is sticking to the WiFi only model going to allow Sonos to survive? Sonos is so much focusing on a niche market of users who need to play music in multiple room (who does that?) and are total Audiophiles who can tell the difference between Bluetooth and WiFi streamed music (remember that cell phone cameras destroyed the amateur High end camera market). People want convenience over complexity. Water flows in the path or least resistance. If you read the WiFi vs Bluetooth argument for Sonos, you see it is all just one argument, "Do you want to play different music in multiple rooms?" This is not enough for Sonos to keep going. Why not allow users to choose? Add Bluetooth and keep the WiFi option. I am sure it is not an issue with cost as adding BT to a speaker costs pennies.
The reason I write this is that Sonos makes great sounding speakers and it is a shame that I have to go but Ultimate ear or Bose so I can play whatever I want to play on my Phone and have the audio come out of a speaker.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Bluetooth speakers are everywhere, there’s literally hundreds of choices. If you want to take your music with you there’s no better way than portable Bluetooth speakers. Would I like to see Sonos integrate Bluetooth? Sure, but that’s not what they do.

Sonos is a home system, you need Wi-Fi and an electrical outlet to use it. The speakers are superior to most of the Bluetooth speakers out there. So instead of jumping into the crowded Bluetooth speaker market, Sonos continues to be the undisputed leader in multi-room home sound systems. Sonos isn’t really in competition with the Bluetooth speaker industry. They could add Bluetooth, but they really don’t need to.
Have to agree with Steve. I had this argument early on (5 years ago now) when I first came into Sonos, but honestly it isn't that big of a deal. If you'd like a portable speaker to take with you, buy one... they're everywhere and cheap.

Sound quality of the stream isn't as big of an issue with Bluetooth because by-and-large the speakers aren't good enough to tell the difference (though I did often use my old Bose soundlink with 3.5mm cable instead of connecting via Bluetooth because it a) sounded far better, b) was easier and more reliable, and c) last about 3x longer on my phone battery when out and about.

But really I've never bothered in the last couple years because I rarely if ever take music to the park or whatnot (if I did I'd take a Bluetooth speaker, but I've since sold my Bose Soundlink). If I'm at home and in the garage or the yard of my house I just take one of my Play:1s out there and plug it into an outlet. Wi-if coverage has gotten better and better in all areas: stability, speed, range, reliability and is still vastly superior to Bluetooth. Just need an outlet which I have in these locations (and I've even used a long extension cord a few times). This way I've got all my music from my storage drives inside, all my services, everything. Like Steve said, they could, but they really don't need to add Bluetooth.

Once upon a time I thought it was a good idea, but tech gets better and I could really care less nowadays. Just my 65 cents.
. . . who need to play music in multiple room (who does that?)

I do, and so do millions of others. It is the #1 reason why I bought Sonos, and it is still the #1 reason why I keep Sonos. The fact you do not and therefore diminish this trait ignores the fact that Sonos created the wireless multi-room market 10 years ago and grew to the second largest speaker manufacturer in the world (not among wireless speakers manufacturers, that's among ALL speaker manufacturers) catering to that market. It also spawned imitators from Bose, Yamaha, LG, Denon, Samsung and a dozen other smaller competitors who have come (and mostly gone) since Sonos first debuted.

And they did it all without Bluetooth. I dare say your market analysis is a bit off.
Why not allow users to choose? Add Bluetooth and keep the WiFi option. I am sure it is not an issue with cost as adding BT to a speaker costs pennies.
The reason I write this is that Sonos makes great sounding speakers and it is a shame that I have to go but Ultimate ear or Bose so I can play whatever I want to play on my Phone and have the audio come out of a speaker.

If it really costs just pennies, I agree that it is a good idea - to add to the capability. But that is a big IF. But just that would not be enough, though it would address one issue - of not being able to use Play 1 units as computer speakers.

But to replace the UE - or in my case a JBL - it would need another speaker as well. One smaller and lighter than a Play 1 and that also has a built in battery. And the cost of developing THAT is definitely many many pennies.

For users though, why not just do what you are doing and go the UE/JBL route? Their sound outdoors is very listenable now. Why must it be Sonos? I don't much care that mine isn't.

The more difficult question to answer is the one in the title and it isn't an easy one to answer, but not I suspect because of BT speakers, but because of all that is happening in the voice control and home automation solutions market.
This is not about portability of speaker at all. I moved my music to the cloud long ago (google). My $500 Sonos became a useless as a wireless speaker ( I use it with a audio cable with my phone now and I got rid of the bridge). Do you think I buy another Sonos at these prices?
I’m looking at my children who turned into young adults. None will buy Sonos. Because most young people don’t keep music files on their computer.
How is Sonos going to increase its user base? Let me guess, that the current user base of Sonos is mostly 40+ years old and has fair amount of disposable income.
That is not going to scale from business point of view. Look at B&O, Bose. They lost their market share because they stuck to their rigid beliefs on how user needs to user their product . The trick is to offer high quality sound and make it affordable to the mass.
What does the mass do ? Use their phones to play music from several sources.

The trick is to offer high quality sound and make it affordable to the mass.

Wow, are you not up to speed! The “mass” streams from Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, etc. All fully supported by Sonos. The “mass” loves voice control. All voice assistants are/will soon be supported by Sonos. Get up to speed, pops!
If you have any aspirations as an audio market analyst, I have some advice: Stick to your day job.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
It's more whether sonos can survive under the onslaught from Amazon, Google, Apple, Microsoft who want to enclose their customers in their eco-systems, then sell them monthly streaming services.........forever= mega bucks, they could give speakers away if you sign up for 10years, throw a phone in as well ;O)....(bit silly but you get my drift)
This is not about portability of speaker at all. I moved my music to the cloud long ago (google). My $500 Sonos became a useless as a wireless speaker ( I use it with a audio cable with my phone now and I got rid of the bridge). Do you think I buy another Sonos at these prices?

No, because you don't seem to have any interest in the features that Sonos offers. I don't think Sonos is trying to be everything anyone could ever want when it comes to audio.

I’m looking at my children who turned into young adults. None will buy Sonos. Because most young people don’t keep music files on their computer.

Sonos actually streams from more sources than any other wireless speaker out there. Playing music from local files or a line in is just a small part of what they do. You didn't know this?

How is Sonos going to increase its user base? Let me guess, that the current user base of Sonos is mostly 40+ years old and has fair amount of disposable income.

I would agree that it's perhaps more a luxary item, but clearly there is a market for that, since high end speaker systems have been selling for decades. Both Google and Apple are releasing (released) wirless speaker/voice assistances priced above $300.

That is not going to scale from business point of view. Look at B&O, Bose. They lost their market share because they stuck to their rigid beliefs on how user needs to user their product . The trick is to offer high quality sound and make it affordable to the mass.

I'd argue they lost market share because they didn't do things as well as competitors and/or didn't market their product as well. I admittedly haven't followed them that closely, but know that they have tried to bring out a variety of products, partnering with other companies and such.

All that said, I'm not sure anyone who complain about adding blutooth, if it's something that doesn't effect how they currently use Sonos. So why isn't it there? I can only guess.

My first guess is that they don't want customers to use Sonos in a way that doesn't show it's full potential. If you visit someone's house who has sonos, and it doesn't sound that good because they are using it as an expensive Bluetooth player, you aren't tempted to go buy one yourself. In some ways, people can't ever assume it's just an overpriced Bluetooth speaker. They have to actually look into what it can do.

Second guess is that they can't properly sync up audio in rooms, or with video if desired, when Bluetooth is used. Some customer will understand this and accept the limitation, but other customers don't care to understand, they just assume that it should do whatever they dream that it should be able to do.

Third guess is that they realize that most customers won't really care about the lack of Bluetooth once they have been using Sonos for awhile. That's certainly been the case for me. I love Bluetooth in the car or when I'm away from home, but in my home, I want wifi all the way.

Fourth guess, say you want to start playing music with the Google play app, and have it Bluetooth to Sonos. You'd could maybe have sort of Bluetooth autoplay setup, but once you start the music, you'd have to control volume through the Sonos app. Switching between different apps to do different things. You'd have to make sure your phone was in Bluetooth range all the time. Instead, Sonos allows you to pick your Google music right in the Sonos app, control volume and everything else right there, and never have to worry if your is in range or anything at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I use my Gen 1 Play 5 as a portable speaker, although a 3 would probably be a little more practical. I use it in the garage, garden and when working in the loft. OK I need an extension lead and have to be wary of Rain but it is way better than other BT speakers I have.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
My Sonos system has basically replaced AM/FM radio, my home stereo system, my alarm clock and added tons of new features that those components could never do. Bluetooth is great for what it does but Bluetooth doesn’t replace Sonos. Sonos has better range and doesn’t drain your phone battery. Sonos doesn’t need to be paired every time you want to use it. Bluetooth doesn’t give you a visual user interface to control multiple speakers and Sonos speakers don’t constantly run out of battery and need to be recharged.

Basically, Sonos is a real multifunctional music system designed for home use. You can design your own system and use it a thousand different ways. Plus it’s got high quality sound and it’s literally the easiest setup you’ll ever find.

Bluetooth speakers are basically toys. Sonos could add Bluetooth but I doubt people would use it.

Some customer will understand this and accept the limitation, but other customers don't care to understand, they just assume that it should do whatever they dream that it should be able to do.

This, in spades. Well said, melvimbe.
Sonos could add Bluetooth but I doubt people would use it.
I would, to stream to my desktop 1 pair from my computer in push mode. Added feature if provided is always welcome, but this one can't be a net delivered upgrade, so I will have a decision to make if this ever happens.
But for use on the road - even in cars where the car audio quality is poor - Sonos doesn't have a product and just adding bluetooth, that is more than a toy out of doors, won't address that market. A conscious decision to not address it, I know.
I understand where the original poster is coming from however the main reason I bought Sonos is because I wanted it to play the same music in the bathroom as the living room as the kitchen as my bedroom. I also decided when Google Play came out with their speaker I wanted to be able to talk to a speaker and for $129 with a microphone in it it was pretty close stiff competition for the play 1.
I wrote back and forth to Sonos and they basically said they had no intention of adding a microphone when I talk to them on the phone. fast forward now they added a microphone and a half ass Alexa limited list which is terrible I wish they would quickly add microphones to the play 5 and play 3 and also add Google functionality yes apple is coming on strong and so is Google and if Sonos doesn't do something they're going to go the way of Polk JBL Harman Kardon Yamaha am I missing anything.
And just to be clear in three different residences we have to play fives for play ones and to play Threes we also just bought the homepod and we have several Google Minis and Google speakers so we have lots of experience with using them all all that Sonos is missing is good voice communication I just want to be able to sit on my damn couch and have it turn the music up or down and not have to touch something...