Answered

Is Roam S1 Compatible?

• 10 March 2021
  • 74 replies

Hi

I have a couple of speakers that mean I have to use S1 controller app, can the new Roam be used with this or is it only S2 compatible 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 10 March 2021, 07:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

74 replies

Userlevel 7

The Roam is only compatible with the S2 app.

Ahhh gutted.

Ok thanks for confirming that. 👍

Userlevel 1

Welllllll… crud!:thumbsdown:

Badge +20

Sonos did say a while back when S2 was released that all new hardware would be S2 only.

The Roam is only possible because Sonos development is no longer restricted by its oldest devices.

Userlevel 3

The s1 s2 gap stops me buying any more sonos...  I have ten sonos components. Three only work with s1. 

I cancelled my roam order as s2 only. Sonos driver to a non customer....as  To replace 2 connects and 1 p5 would could me around £1200 for a £140 roam.  So in short as a big time sonos customer I can not longer add new products to my system and spend money with sonos.    so essentially now am no longer a sonos customer because sonos make it impossible with spending 1000s to get as is function I already have.   Suggest you review....

The s1 s2 gap stops me buying any more sonos...  I have ten sonos components. Three only work with s1. 

I cancelled my roam order as s2 only. Sonos driver to a non customer....as  To replace 2 connects and 1 p5 would could me around £1200 for a £140 roam.  So in short as a big time sonos customer I can not longer add new products to my system and spend money with sonos.    so essentially now am no longer a sonos customer because sonos make it impossible with spending 1000s to get as is function I already have.   Suggest you review....

Exactly what do you expect them to do?  S1 only components do not have enough memory and/or storage to run S2, and S2 only components need S2 in order to run their new features, they simply cannot run S1.  There is nothing that can be done.

Userlevel 7

Does anyone know if Warner Bros. is going to release Tenet on Betamax? I have a perfectly good Betamax player and want to watch the latest movies on it.

As I said before, If Sonos hadn’t made the S1 / S2 split they would not have been able to develop new products and features anyway.  So they still wouldn’t have been able to sell you anything more.  Sonos can’t change the S1 / S2 split, and they won’t.  The Roam cannot work on S1.

So now you don’t have a portable speaker, what are your plans?  Do without a portable speaker, which you apparently thought you needed a few days ago?  Or buy another brand of portable speaker?  One that won’t work with Sonos S1 or S2.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Sorry, but I came here to respectfully voice my disappointment with this. I just pre-ordered one and stumbled upon this thread. I may very likely end up cancelling my pre-order now. 

The S1/S2 debacle has been debated ad nauseam, but I can’t help think there was an opportunity here for Sonos to simply ensure compatibility between the two controllers. They did it with the Move and if the S1 system is supposedly legacy, then what’s the harm in ensuring that a new device with supposedly “better specs” is capable of supporting the old software? It’s not like we’re trying to do the reverse here.

Becoming more and more disenchanted with Sonos and their strategy. The Port is a pure money grab for what it does at nearly $500 after tax and honestly the primary reason I’ve yet to upgrade my system for S2 compatibility (2x Play 5’s and a Connect holding me back). Again, sorry but I’m pretty disappointed. 

Last year Sonos have stated unambiguously that all new products introduced as of June 2020 would only be compatible with S2.

if the S1 system is supposedly legacy, then what’s the harm in ensuring that a new device with supposedly “better specs” is capable of supporting the old software? 

It isn’t that the device cannot support the S1 software, it’s that the S1 software cannot support the device.  If you haven’t understood that then you really haven’t understood why the S1/S2 split was essential.  There would be no Roam if it were constrained to work on S1.

The S1/S2 debacle has been debated ad nauseam, but I can’t help think there was an opportunity here for Sonos to simply ensure compatibility between the two controllers. They did it with the Move and if the S1 system is supposedly legacy, then what’s the harm in ensuring that a new device with supposedly “better specs” is capable of supporting the old software? It’s not like we’re trying to do the reverse here.

The bolded part is incorrect.  The Move was released before the S1/S2 split, and Sonos did not do anything at all to make the Move S1 compatible.   What’s the harm of making the Roam S1 compatible?  First the S1 customer base is surely much smaller than the S2 customer base.  Second, making it S1 compatible would add cost to development and testing, since it would be two systems, 2 sets of features to test.  Having 2 sets of features also would confusing, as you’d likely end up with customers who believed they could do speaker swaps, or share bluetooth audio with other speakers….only to find out it’s an S2 only feature.  And then you would have all the angry customers who upgraded to S2 because they were told there were no new S1 products.  And of course, Sonos obviously would more people switch over to S2, both to lower support costs and experience the better S2 features….and that doesn’t happen as fast if they keep making S1 products.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

As above, what does the Roam do that the Move doesn't?.

Seems it has an equally poor standby time to boot?.

Do you mean in addition to the things already mentioned by @melvimbe ?

Here’s one:

With an all-new feature called Sound Swap, you can hold the play/pause button on the speaker to switch the music to the nearest speaker on your system, making it easy to move music from room-to-room.

But that’s beside the point.  No company is going to continue to co-develop for two apps for devices that didn’t even exist when the old app was retired.  New devices require the new app.  Period. 

Do you mean in addition to the things already mentioned by @melvimbe ?

Related to  what I already mention, the Roam can be on WiFi and bluetooth at the same time, while the Move cannot.  The Roam also got the ability to do trueplay tuning in bluetooth mode….which the Move also gained the ability to do….but only on S2, not S1.  See how confusing this could get when you different features for the same products on two different OSs? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Thanks, I thought the Move was announced subsequent to the launch of S2.

Look, I get it. If I’m being honest, I simply have heartburn about the cost associated with enabling the move to the S2 controller. However at the same time, I’ve yet to see a very compelling reason to make that $1,200 investment at this time and I know I’m not alone. Would replacing my original Play 5’s with Five’s be an upgrade, sure, but for me personally, I’ve yet to see any real value prop outside of obsolesce that makes me excited to give them my money. S2 isn’t going to make my existing speakers sound any better and I don’t own an ARC, so again I’m left scratching my head. For me personally, it’s just money better spent elsewhere at this time. 

Look, I get it. If I’m being honest, I simply have heartburn about the cost associated with enabling the move to the S2 controller. However at the same time, I’ve yet to see a very compelling reason to make that $1,200 investment at this time and I know I’m not alone. Would replacing my original Play 5’s with Five’s be an upgrade, sure, but for me personally, I’ve yet to see any real value prop outside of obsolesce that makes me excited to give them my money. S2 isn’t going to make my existing speakers sound any better and I don’t own an ARC, so again I’m left scratching my head. For me personally, it’s just money better spent elsewhere at this time. 

If I was in your situation, I would stay on S1 as well.  I’m not sure I follow where the heartburn is coming from, since you’re happy with where you are.  Is it more of a feeling that you want to be on the latest and greatest, or having some of the current products (to a lesser extent), but can’t justify the added cost of upgrading your whole system?  I get that.

For most of it’s life Sonos has been a system that you can just add on as you wish without replacing anything.  Now there’s a gap where you have to do more to get a little more.  It’s almost like buying a new car.  Nothing wrong with the car you have now, but you do like all the little improvement a new car has….it’s not enough to justify buying the new car.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

If I was in your situation, I would stay on S1 as well.  I’m not sure I follow where the heartburn is coming from, since you’re happy with where you are.  Is it more of a feeling that you want to be on the latest and greatest, or having some of the current products (to a lesser extent), but can’t justify the added cost of upgrading your whole system?  I get that.

For most of it’s life Sonos has been a system that you can just add on as you wish without replacing anything.  Now there’s a gap where you have to do more to get a little more.  It’s almost like buying a new car.  Nothing wrong with the car you have now, but you do like all the little improvement a new car has….it’s not enough to justify buying the new car.

Yeah, I’d say you’re pretty spot on. It’s the financial piece of it coupled with the inability to add/upgrade when and where I want without having to operate two separate systems until I meet S2 requirements throughout the house. It’s also the current feature set and perceived value of S2 in my environment.

I’d love to upgrade my kitchen and bathroom Play 5’s. If I could do that a piece at a time as budget permits, it would be more palatable. But, I can’t and I’m coming to terms with it. It just seems like there could have been a better way.

I’m sure I’ll eventually upgrade, as staying on S1 ultimately leads to obsolescence, but for now I just have to get over it and realize I’m not missing much. In the meantime, Sonos is going to have to do a better job selling me the value of S2. The Roam isn’t enough or going to do it. 

Thanks for listening and for the feedback. Really not trying to troll or stir the pot, simply expressing my perspective. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Does anyone know if Warner Bros. is going to release Tenet on Betamax? I have a perfectly good Betamax player and want to watch the latest movies on it.

Hopefully with DTS soundtrack!

oh wait! Doh. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Yeah, I’d say you’re pretty spot on. It’s the financial piece of it coupled with the inability to add/upgrade when and where I want without having to operate two separate systems until I meet S2 requirements throughout the house. It’s also the current feature set and perceived value of S2 in my environment.

I’d love to upgrade my kitchen and bathroom Play 5’s. If I could do that a piece at a time as budget permits, it would be more palatable. But, I can’t and I’m coming to terms with it. It just seems like there could have been a better way.

I’m sure I’ll eventually upgrade, as staying on S1 ultimately leads to obsolescence, but for now I just have to get over it and realize I’m not missing much. In the meantime, Sonos is going to have to do a better job selling me the value of S2. The Roam isn’t enough or going to do it. 

Thanks for listening and for the feedback. Really not trying to troll or stir the pot, simply expressing my perspective. 

Yep it would have to be something pretty special to get me to move onto S2, not the Roam or the ARC unfortunately.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Yep it would have to be something pretty special to get me to move onto S2, not the Roam or the ARC unfortunately.

Agreed Roam not special enough for an S2 upgrade but headphones might just be, need to start the softening up process on the better half :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I've got a ZP90, was going to buy a set of headphones to twin with that.

Sonos headphones would indeed be excellent (I asked for some years ago), but I don't know if I could go back to the incessant updates again, it's quite peaceful now on S1!.

Userlevel 1

The Roam is only possible because Sonos development is no longer restricted by its oldest devices.

No way. It’s totally just marketing. Some ‘features’ can’t run on the older devices. Airplay2 being a good example. But the system could carry on without them easily (for those opting to use S1 equipment). The S1/S2 divide is pure sales and marketing from the same mindset that brought us the ‘brick your speaker to upgrade’ debacle. 
What they should have done is put the electronics on a plug-and-play removable module and then just sold a £50 ‘upgrade module’ for each speaker when they went S3. New processor, new wifi chip upgrade etc

People would buy into that I think.