Question

Is it possible to stream directly from Google Play Music to Sonos using a chromebook?

I have a Google Play Music All Access account that I use with my Sonos system. I use it with the Sonos App on my Android phone and I also use it via chromecast with the Play Music android app. I have just purchased a chromebook and thought I would be able to do similar thing within the google play app for chromebook however I can't seem to see a chromecast icon like I do when using the android version. Is it possible to do this via chromebook? If not any chance that this could be looked at. Cheers Scott.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
There have been many requests for a SONOS controller from Chromebook but as yet nothing has appeared so I would guess that until that happens you won't be able use your Chromebook.

Sorry.

Stuart
there is now an app, but it's not very good. It locks up all the time, has a major time lag between giving an instruction and the Sonos unit receiving it. It doesn't do the type of streaming talked about here and doesn't even have an option to add Pandora to it's play list. 2/10 in my opinion for code writing and creativity. However, once up and running on a station it does seem pretty stable...... which it should be for a Sonos product - having overpaid for the audio units its a big disappointment to get this kind of junk to interact with it.
there is now an app, but it's not very good. It locks up all the time, has a major time lag between giving an instruction and the Sonos unit receiving it. It doesn't do the type of streaming talked about here and doesn't even have an option to add Pandora to it's play list. 2/10 in my opinion for code writing and creativity. However, once up and running on a station it does seem pretty stable...... which it should be for a Sonos product - having overpaid for the audio units its a big disappointment to get this kind of junk to interact with it.

I think you are referring to the third party "Sonos Controller for Chrome" - or are you talking Sonos app in ArcWelder? Keep in mind this isn't a Sonos developed app, but personally would give SCFC a 9/10. The dev has done a lot in the last year - app is much faster, added new features including music services. At this point if you are using it for more than adjusting volume, play/pause, or playing local music I can see why you would be frustrated (dev does say that music services is experimental at this point).
What are you talking about? Which app is 'junk'? Sonos doesn't support Chromebook.

ChromeOS support for Android apps is only just rolling out. The Sonos Android controller MAY eventually run on that platform, but interaction with Google Play Music apps in that operating mode is a real unknown at this stage.
You're right. I apologize to Sonos for my error. Upon further investigation the App is actually " Sonos Controller for Chrome" (By P. Opitz) which is a third party app and not associated with Sonos..... however, it's still a rather bad app.
Having eaten my crow pie (and that's with thanks to the guys who corrected me - I hate saying things that are simply incorrect...seriously), I still think that Sonos are lax in that they haven't got around to creating an app that is compatible with such a large global platform. Is it really so difficult and expensive to duplicate an app that is available for other high use platforms. App developers please don't bombard me with complaints as I'm saying this from the perspective of a regular guy rather than a sophisticated app developer.

Maybe there's a contract that Google haven't signed up for or maybe "paid" Sonos to be part of.

Thanks again guys.
I too would welcome support for Chromebook, and fingers are crossed that once Android app support appears in ChromeOS the Sonos controller will work.
Now running android apps on my Chromebook flip.Having no luck with Sonos or Google play music. Anyone got either to work?
Now running android apps on my Chromebook flip.Having no luck with Sonos or Google play music. Anyone got either to work?
See here. There's a longstanding issue with ChromeOS and multicast/broadcast traffic which prevents the Sonos controller from locating the players. However in that thread the OP did report success with GPM.
thanks ratty, my cast app appears within GPM but only shows the TV as an option. unlike when I open on my phone when I see the TV and all 3 Sonos speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
In order for GPM to cast to the speakers, the Sonos app needs to be installed. Even if it's not working, the presence of the Sonos app is what allows GPM to stream directly to Sonos.
Thanks Mike, the Sonos app is already loaded.