Is it possible to stream audio from a Mac to a stereo pair of Sonos Ones or Play 5s?

• 11 October 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +2
I recently bought two HomePods with the expectation that I'd be able to stream audio from my Mac (not only iTunes, but from other apps like Chrome while watching Netflix) to a stereo pair of HomePods. I've sinced learned that this isn't supported. If I replaced these HomePods with Play 5s or Sonos Ones, could I do this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I don't think any lag would be a Sonos issue when Airplay was being used - it would be an Airplay issue. There definitely won't be any sync issues within the stereo pair (I wasn't sure if you were implying that for the HomePods).
Yes, provided your Mac is capable of running Airplay 2, which I think means an OS of 10.13.6 or higher.
There may be an audio lag for Netflix....
Badge +2
There may be an audio lag for Netflix....

I'm glad you brought that up. I noticed this while streaming Spotify to the stereo pair of HomePods. The two speakers are out of sync, and it sounds terrible. I did some research on Spotify's forum and it seems that it's a known issue.

Last night I tried using an app called AudioBridge that supposedly allows streaming to older Sonos speakers from Mac OS using AirPlay 2. It worked—kind of—but there was a terrible lag with both Netflix and YouTube. Should I expect this with Sonos?