Answered

Is it harmful to the battery to keep my Sonos Move on the dock while playing music from it?

• 4 December 2019
  • 7 replies

I just recently got the Sonos Move and was wondering if it was safe to play music from the move while it sat on the dock? Or is it better to just put it back on the dock when on standby and not in use? Thank you.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 4 December 2019, 21:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

No problem leaving it on the dock.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

melvimbe is correct. It’s perfectly fine to leave the Move on the dock while playing music.

Thank you!

Is this because of different battery tech? Till know my understanding is that battery life is maximised if the batteries are allowed to run charge/discharge cycles regularly. Or does the Dock have a cut out feature based on battery charge levels?

If not, while the speaker would play music just fine while docked, leaving it permanently docked may reduce battery life. Unless the power switch to the dock is manually cycled once a week or so.

Is this because of different battery tech? Till know my understanding is that battery life is maximised if the batteries are allowed to run charge/discharge cycles regularly. Or does the Dock have a cut out feature based on battery charge levels?

If not, while the speaker would play music just fine while docked, leaving it permanently docked may reduce battery life. Unless the power switch to the dock is manually cycled once a week or so.

That’s NiCads, they have a “charge memory”.  Lithium-Ion are the opposite.  They have a limited number of full discharge/full charge cycles, and are better off if you top them off instead of running them down.  Only every 30 charges or so is an almost full rundown recommended.  It is never recommended to fully discharge a Lithium Ion battery.

I believe my Mac has lithium ion and I remember reading Apple advice that best life is obtained by using it all day on battery power and leaving it to charge overnight. I suspect there is protection built in too, that won’t let the Mac run to the point that the battery is fully discharged.

If the Move is left in a powered on dock all the time, how will the battery ever go below 100%? Perhaps the batteries are of a different kind and it doesn’t matter to them if they do not.

I believe my Mac has lithium ion and I remember reading Apple advice that best life is obtained by using it all day on battery power and leaving it to charge overnight. I suspect there is protection built in too, that won’t let the Mac run to the point that the battery is fully discharged.

If the Move is left in a powered on dock all the time, how will the battery ever go below 100%? Perhaps the batteries are of a different kind and it doesn’t matter to them if they do not.

The Move battery is Lithium-Ion. 

And I wouldn’t put it past Apple to give advice which degrades battery life.  The JRDF means nobody is going to question it, and it feeds right into their forced obsolescence policy.