Question

Intermittent AirPlay delay on Sonos One.

• 27 August 2020
  • 6 replies

I just bought a Sonos One. Every night, I use it to AirPlay from my Mac throughout the house for about an hour. I’ve got an Apple TV and other AirPlay speakers as well as the Sonos One. Every night, everything streams great to all speakers, but during the hour, once or twice, the Sonos One will all of a sudden fall out of sync with the other speakers in the house and experience a slight delay. When this occurs, I have to run to the computer, deselect the Sonos One, reselect it, and then everything is back is sync for a other 20 or 30 minutes, until it happens again. This happens every time I stream to all speakers.

What is causing this and how can I fix it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @yoel69, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming from. Regarding your concern about the Intermittent Airplay delay on your Sonos products. I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue.  

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi Simon. Thanks for your reply. I just did as instructed. My confirmation number for the diagnostic is 183868068.

As a test I just streamed from my Mac throughout the house for one hour starting at 9:25pm. Everything went fine until 9:49, when Sonos fell out of sync with the other speakers. I had to unselect and then reselect Sonos in iTunes and for the rest of the hour it played fine. This happens every time I stream throughout the house-- at some point, Sonos all of a sudden goes out of sync with everything else.

May I ask a potentially silly question? Are you sending an AirPlay 2 stream to a single Sonos speaker, and then using the Sonos software to ‘group’ that single room to other Sonos rooms, or are you sending your AirPlay 2 signal to several speakers at the same time using the AirPlay 2 selection interface, and not using the Sonos controller to ‘group’ rooms?

Hi. I’m sending the AirPlay signal from my Mac to three speakers at the same time using the AirPlay selection interface. The other speakers are an Apple TV 3rd generation and a Bose AirPlay speaker I’ve had for 8 years or so. Everything works fine, except that once or twice per hour, the Sonos One suddenly drops out of sync with the rest. When that happens, it’s as if there’s an echo.

Ah, so it’s possible you’re having an issue with AirPlay 2, since you’re not really using the Sonos as anything more than a receiver of the AirPlay 2 signal.

Unfortunately, I have no sage advice, I only use AirPlay 2 to a Sonos device, and not devices from multiple manufacturers. I’ll try to keep an eye on this thread to see what I can learn, though. Thanks for adding the clarification.