Interference with Rocketfish wireless kit

• 26 July 2010
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
I just purchased my Sonos system and immediately began experencing dropouts with the playback. I unplugged my rocketfish wireless rear speaker kit and the dropouts stopped. This kit operates on a 2.4 MHz frequency. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a resolution? Are there wireless kits such as these that operate on a different frequency, as I am not able to run wires from front to back with my stereo system.

2 replies

Hi, and welcome.

Presumably you mean 2.4GHz, not 2.4MHz. Unless you can manually select a fixed radio channel for the Rocketfish speakers, it's likely that they are using a channel-hopping scheme to try and locate what they believe to be free spectrum.

If they are anything like the Sennheiser 2.4GHz wireless headphones I tried - and similar wireless speaker/subwoofer systems reported by a few other members - this bumbling frequency dance injects sufficient errors into Sonos wireless transmissions to cause music streams to drop out. :(

I'm not aware of a solution other than disposing of the other badly behaved 2.4GHz kit. In the end I went back to using 900MHz FM wireless headphones.
Just in case, it couldn't hurt to try the Sonos system on each of the three available channels (1, 6, 11 -- obviously one of those is already known to not work) and see if you get lucky with the Rocketfish.

Don't get your hopes up too far though.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings