Interconnectivity

• 11 February 2017
  • 15 replies

Hi
I have a play3 which is great, but I also have a Sony soundbar, it would be great to allow the sonos app to stream to the sony device at the same time, I should not have to go out and replace my soundbar for a sony one.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

I also have a Sony soundbar, it would be great to allow the sonos app to stream to the sony device at the same time, I should not have to go out and replace my soundbar for a sony
So, please, tell us why it's in the interests of Sonos -- who only make money by selling players -- to enable Sonos functionality in competitors' hardware, thereby displacing their own sales revenue? It's hard to think of a quicker way of going out of business...
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Really???

Why would Sonos want to spend money on other companies gear?
Because it is short sighted and bad for business not to, they will still sell their speakers on their own merits but add the ability to utilise kit you already have. That's like saying you should not connect a pioneer deck to a marantz amp... Always worked well in the past....
That's like saying you should not connect a pioneer deck to a marantz amp...
Sorry, but that's a nonsensical analogy. A deck and an amp are complementary products. They're supposed to interface.

A Sony soundbar is blindingly obviously a competing product to Sonos. You want to use one and not have to buy a PLAYBAR. How does such a move not deprive Sonos of sales revenue?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
In addition to the fact that these are substitute products and I see no reasonable reason for doing this (Aligned with ratty's comment above...)

What you ask, and what you compare it to, are fundamentally different for a different reason.

Allowing two devices that need to work together to do so by plugging them into each other by an industry standard physical cable... is unbelievably different from integrating with communication protocols over a wireless interface. The effort involved would likely be immense, the total lack of control that Sonos would have over changing protocols, competitor "updates" (perhaps being done just to stop Sonos from integrating even if they wanted to) competitor hardware, would make it so Sonos could never deliver on this promise even if they wanted to. They couldn't market their interoperability ever, because they couldn't be confident it would able to ever me maintained. I want competitors to compete.. not collude ... so this simply can't reasonably happen.
Because it is short sighted and bad for business not to, they will still sell their speakers on their own merits but add the ability to utilise kit you already have. That's like saying you should not connect a pioneer deck to a marantz amp... Always worked well in the past....

If you are looking for the Sonos equivalent of a deck connecting to an amp, you should purchase the Sonos Connect and connect it to your Sony soundbar. Presto! Your Sony soundbar is now playing Sonos sources, just like your Maranz amp is playing Pioneer sources in your analogy.
I think the OP is looking for a 'free' Sonos player.

Not the first, won't be the last, none of whom ever give a good reason except not wanting to pay for another Sonos device.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I think at the core of a number of these type of comments, at least in part, is that the Sonos system, and perhaps a few others like it, make the communication and wireless connectivity all look so easy and obvious and it all "just works", that the complexity of what is actually being achieved is lost. So the requests just seems like it is "a simple software update"... I get that. I've been there on many other topics where what I *thought* was simple... just wasn't.
Simplicity of setup has nothing to do with it. The concept is nonsensical. Anything which could magically turn third party kit into a 'Sonos player' would be the death knell of Sonos. Anyone with minimal business sense should know that.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
maybe... but there are so many many many many business models now where how an organization actually makes money is entirely lost on people (free Google drive app... people don't realize they are selling their driving data, etc...) that I think many people stop paying attention to that as well. Sonos as a relatively straightforward/refreshing products manufacturer delivering quality products just seems awfully simple in todays environment 😉 I'm confident Alexa will make the majority of their dollars in the future via blackmail based on all the information attained from listening 24/7 Alexa devices will be free... :8
True. Hence the constant barrage of conspiracy theorists claiming Sonos gets kickbacks from music services or some other means.

:D
The fact that I know this is not difficult and other companies make this possible does not make me a freebie hunter, not much community spirit here, just the dark ages....
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

The fact that I know this is not difficult ....

What!? oh oh... might wanna duck the flames... :D

There is a lot fundamentally wrong with your belief that this is easy. (And, you really shouldn't confuse your beliefs with facts. There is a lot of that happening these days...)

I've learned through enough participation on many internet forums that they are great places to learn and gain information and I hope I learn every day I read more on here.... I come here to hopefully help and learn....

And there is a LOT of community spirit here with a lot of people trying to help and engage with others... just look at the discussion this thread is generating...you made a statement... people provided context as to why it wasn't ever gonna happen and you are, of course, free to believe whatever you believe... That is community in action.

I also know from my lengthy history of different internet forums in my life that there is no chance or ability to inform the willfully uninformed. So I've explained my view as to why the simple business models don't support this even if you believe the tech is not difficult... I'm out - because in general from here things typically degrade to be less civil... like saying people are in the dark ages and such... 🆒
The fact that I know this is not difficult ...
Please, enlighten us with your knowledge. Perhaps your technical insight will surpass your apparent grasp of business. 😉