Question

integrate Roku and Sonos

• 20 October 2016
  • 9 replies

I would like to stream using Roku but then have Sonos deliver the music over WiFi. Will the following work: 1) connect Roku 2 analog audio out to Sonos:Connect audio in; 2) connect Roku HDMI out to TV; 3) add a Sonos Play speaker(s) and connect it to the Sonos:Connect using the Sonos app. Will I be able to control say, Spotify through the TV and have the music stream to the Sonos Play speakers?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Badge +1
Hi wfedders and welcome to the Sonos Community. There are a few ways to do this:

1. You can connect a Sonos PLAYBAR to your television's optical audio output. This will allow you to play the audio from any source connected to your television (Roku, cable box, etc,.) and play it not only on the PLAYBAR itself, but any additional Sonos players you may have by grouping them together.
  2. You can also, run the analog audio out from your Roku to the Line In connection on a CONNECT and then stream that to other Sonos players by grouping them together as well. Bear in mind, as the CONNECT was never designed to sync audio and video, you may experience a delay with this configuration.

Let us know if you have any more questions.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Remember to change compression to Uncompressed in Sonos so you won't experience significant A/V sync issues.
I am trying to connect my Sonos system with Roku Ultra 4 I just purchased. I have the connect, 2 play 1 and soundbar and having trouble making all work together. I also am using an amp to power additional speakers in other rooms with a speaker selector to turn on other speakers.
I have hdmi cables connected to my TV from AT&T Uverse, cdmi Roku to TV and cdmi DVD player to TV. Optical cable goes from sound bar to Uverse. I think I have something connected incorrectly because I cannot change to Roku and get sound through soundbar.

Looking for guidance to make all of these work together and control volume through app on phone. MacBook or iPad.
The "soundbar" (a Playbar, I'm assuming), needs to be connected to the TV, not to the Uverse device. That way, anything that you're playing on the TV, including the Roku Ultra 4, assuming it's either stereo or Dolby Digital, will play on your Sonos speakers. I'm not sure what connection there is between your Sonos and the amp to power the extra speakers is, though.

The TV itself, as well as each device connected to it (Roku, DVD, etc) would need to be sure to set the audio controls to Dolby Digital, if they pass anything more complex than that (DD Plus, DTS, etc), then the Playbar won't be able to interpret the signal. So once you've connected the Playbar to the TV, go in to each device and check the audio settings.
Thanks Bruce. I will give it a try and let you know.
You're more than welcome!
I would like to stream using Roku but then have Sonos deliver the music over WiFi. Will the following work: 1) connect Roku 2 analog audio out to Sonos:Connect audio in; 2) connect Roku HDMI out to TV; 3) add a Sonos Play speaker(s) and connect it to the Sonos:Connect using the Sonos app. Will I be able to control say, Spotify through the TV and have the music stream to the Sonos Play speakers?
Not working for me
New set up. When playing music, I can get sound through all my components (playbar, sub, two One speakers). I can get sound through my playbar when using Roku 4 for TV, but no sound to the other speakers connected to my sonos system.
Ideas??
What other speakers? Are they surround speakers? If so, then you need to be sure that your PLAYBAR is getting sent a Dolby Digital signal, and not a stereo signal. If they're not surrounds, then you haven't properly grouped the rooms.