Question

insufficient bandwidth

Hello, I have been having apparent insufficient bandwidth problems with my new play3 speaker. I have tried turning off my phone, moving my hub channel to 1, changing the Ethernet lead to the bridge and changing the wifi channel on Sonnos, please advise.

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Hello,

I see that you reached out to our Customer Care Team and they are currently assisting you with this issue. 

Sometimes minor changes such as making sure to separate your wireless router and the wired Sonos devices by three or more feet, or as far as the ethernet cable allows, will improve response and connectivity of the system. If you have a 2.4ghz or DECT cordless phone, please ensure that they are at least 10-15 feet away from the Sonos devices. Do not place the Sonos devices on top of other electronics as they can sometimes cause interference for one another and lastly check the wireless setting of your router and ensure that it not "Auto Channeling" it's wireless channel. This means that it's channel is periodically changing and could land on the same channel as Sonos, which in turn can cause interference for one another.

I see that the last troubleshoot was to put your Router on channel 11 and Sonos on 6. You then hooked up an ethernet cable to the laptop and were able to play without any issue. Based on this troubleshoot it seems to be a wireless connection issue with the laptop.

Please try these tests:

Reboot your router. Unplug your router from power for about 30 seconds, then plug it back in to power. Wait for the network to come back up. Then test the connection again. 

- Run this test: www.pingtest.net and record the results

- From your computer, Open 'command prompt' > type in: ping 192.168.1.254 > push enter
       - Take note if you see any 'host unreachable' or long ping periods or list some of the results.

- Try alternate wireless channels. We can try Sonos on channel 1 and leave your router on 11 and see how the system responds.

Please submit a diagnostic if you are still experiencing the issue and I'll be happy to take a look. Please reply back with your number here. 
Hello

I have from time to time also issues with my Sonos connection, both using TuneIn radios and Google Play... music star to be cut and is impossible to listen to it properly.

I changed channels of the router, etc... router or phone sepparate from Sonos...

Testing with www.pingtest.net I have a B* (52ms/6ms).

BUT when I ping 192.168.1.254 i have "Reply from 192.168.1.35: Destination host unreachable" (meanwhile, I am using Sonos with TuneIn without any problem)

What is this showing? How to solve this?

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello

I have from time to time also issues with my Sonos connection, both using TuneIn radios and Google Play... music star to be cut and is impossible to listen to it properly.

I changed channels of the router, etc... router or phone sepparate from Sonos...

Testing with www.pingtest.net I have a B* (52ms/6ms).

BUT when I ping 192.168.1.254 i have "Reply from 192.168.1.35: Destination host unreachable" (meanwhile, I am using Sonos with TuneIn without any problem)

What is this showing? How to solve this?

Thanks

Hi Marcossa,

That error can mean that your Sonos units are not getting the streaming data fast enough. If your internet speed is looking good, there is probably some local wireless interference causing the error.

Please send us a diagnostic report and reply with the number, we'll take a look and see what's going on. Here's how to submit reports.
confirmation number is: 6158451

thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
confirmation number is: 6158451

thanks

Hi Marcossa,

There are some format errors in your diagnostic report and I'm unable to read it. Try changing the Sonos wireless channel and see if that helps, here's how.

If that is not an option, or if it does not help, try sending another diagnostic report and reply with the number. If we're still getting the format error I'll create a support ticket for you and get you in touch with our phone team for further troubleshooting.
hi

changed to channel 11.

new report after

confirmation number is: 6222341
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
hi

changed to channel 11.

new report after

Hi Marcossa,

That diagnostic report came through with a formatting error, could you send in a new one? Reply with the number and I'll take a look.
hi

changed to channel 11.

new report after

Hi Marcossa,

That diagnostic report came through with a formatting error, could you send in a new one? Reply with the number and I'll take a look.
new one

confirmation number is: 6224823
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
new one

confirmation number is: 6224823

Hi Macrossa,

There's still wireless interference which is causing your Sonos units to be unable to communicate well. Please try the other wireless channel for your Sonos system. Also, take a look around your Sonos units and see if there are any third party wireless devices nearby. Common sources of interference include cordless phones (especially DECT phones), wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors, wireless printers and wireless TVs. If any such device is near or in between your Sonos units, please try moving them away or powering them off temporarily to see if that helps.
hello

i did all you suggest. it might improve but still issues.

nevertheless, an additional problem happen. now i lost connection with my pc windows sonos controller. Says sonos system not found. with my iphone the controller works no problem.

i went to all your recommendations, but not working yet... https://sonos-es.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/521

thanks for your support
hello again

in addition, i just realize i cannot use one of the 2 speakers. i tried from the beggining but at the end there is no light when it should be green...

just did a diagnostic, number 6245494

thanks
hi

i reset from the beggining all sonos devices. after couple of hours, all working back.

back to the original problem, i followed your suggestions

"... try the other wireless channel for your Sonos system. Also, take a look around your Sonos units and see if there are any third party wireless devices nearby. Common sources of interference include cordless phones (especially DECT phones), wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors, wireless printers and wireless TVs. If any such device is near or in between your Sonos units, please try moving them away or powering them off temporarily to see if that helps."

i am afraid there are still cuts.

please let me know how to improve this situation.

thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It may help if you keep a log of the times when you get cuts. If you've eliminated all the sources of wireless interference over which you have control you may just be able to link it with something the neighbours have/do
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
hi

i reset from the beggining all sonos devices. after couple of hours, all working back.

back to the original problem, i followed your suggestions

"... try the other wireless channel for your Sonos system. Also, take a look around your Sonos units and see if there are any third party wireless devices nearby. Common sources of interference include cordless phones (especially DECT phones), wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors, wireless printers and wireless TVs. If any such device is near or in between your Sonos units, please try moving them away or powering them off temporarily to see if that helps."

i am afraid there are still cuts.

please let me know how to improve this situation.

thanks

Hi Marcossa,

It would be best to continue troubleshooting over the phone. Here's a support ticket number: 160613-000984. Please give us a call and we'll help get things working. You can find our phone number and hours here.