Answered

Individual speaker volume adjust

• 8 January 2019
  • 7 replies

I just bought a Beam and 2 Play 1 speakers. I have tinnitus and hearing loss. I bought the system so I could put speakers closer to where is it but I can't hear them over the Beam bar. Is there a way to turn up the Play speakers without turning up the Beam. I feel like I've wasted $700 as it's not any better than my tv speakers if I can't adjust speaker vu.es separately.
icon

Best answer by Kampffechten 8 January 2019, 14:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I don't have a Sonos home theatre setup, but with a stereo pair you can alter the balance in the settings menu.
Settings => Room Settings =>[Room Name] => EQ
I'd be mildly suprised if there wasn't some sort of way to alter the various volumes.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
One other thought - if you are running a stereo source in to the Beam then the surrounds won't be playing anything to hear?
Userlevel 1
Badge
You can change the sound level of the speakers designated as surrounds (=Play 1s) here

"Changing the surround settings"
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927?language=en_US

Because the surrounds are supposed to play mostly surround *effects*, that may not be what you actually want. If you want to hear dialogs and speeches more clearly, you should turn on the Speech Enhancement, and possibly also Loudness (in EQ).
Userlevel 1
Badge
One other thought - if you are running a stereo source in to the Beam then the surrounds won't be playing anything to hear?

The system can remix/upmix the stereo into multi-channel as to feed sound to the surrounds. It's some variant of Dolby Pro Logic. Obviously not the same as getting a direct feed, but it's more than nothing.
Userlevel 7
Hi mikej2461

Here are your two options...

In a Sonos HT setup the rears (Play 1's) are Bonded to the Beam and when watching programing or a video with a surround channel the rears will not be very loud until there is material sent to them. For music listening open the Sonos App go to settings > room settings > select the room with the Beam and Play 1's > select surrounds > move the slider to Full > Exit. The Sonos app will make the switch automatically between music (Full) in stereo and surround material (ambient).

If you do not have the Play 1's Bonded to the Beam you should set them up as a stereo pair named as a separate room. For example_Beam is named as TV Room and the Play 1's are named as TV Room Two. Now you can place the Play 1's on either side of your listening position (at least 6 feet apart) and Group them to the Beam for TV audio. In this manner you will be able to adjust the volume of the Beam and Play 1's either as a group or separately. You also have the option to ungroup the Play 1's from the Beam and play music to them without involving the Beam.

Please post back with additional questions and/or to let us know how things sorted out.

Cheers!
Badge
Will it be possible in a future update to adjust separately the level of rear left and rear right speakers ? Because if you're not exactly on the center of these speakers the balance is not good ( despite trueplay calibration)
Will it be possible in a future update to adjust separately the level of rear left and rear right speakers ? Because if you're not exactly on the center of these speakers the balance is not good ( despite trueplay calibration)

This is so supremely obvious but lost on the Sonos technicians as they obviously don't actually listen to music. Like everything wth Sonos, they are incapable of providing a system that works, hence updates every single time you use it. You used to be able to adjust individual speaker volumes that have been paired in the same room but now the 'geniuses' that work for Sonos have decided to remove that feature. Idiots. I'm going back to wired hi-fi. Sonos is a bag.