Answered

Impossible to connect my SONOS ROAM in Bluetooth

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hello,

as I just received my SONOS ROAM I have tried many times today to get it connected in Bluetooth by following the procedure as described in that link.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4989?language=fr

So I kept pressing the button at the back but the blue light never went on and as a consequence the product had been left undiscovered for my mobile phone.

Is there anyone who encountered the same issue & what should I do to get it solve.

Thanks for your help

icon

Best answer by shfawaz 22 April 2021, 23:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

114 replies

Userlevel 2

I am so glad to read all these posts I was starting to think that I was losing the plot.

I am an early adopter of SONOS and hove two houses full of products, I was very frustrated with the whole update situation but have bitten the bullet and am upgrading my systems (Now having difficulty operating the old system, that's for another post).

So I did get my ROAM working on Bluetooth after setting it up in my home system, so I took it travelling with me, now it reacts in exactly the way everyone reports. I have tried everything reset new system you name it but there is no way I can get a Bluetooth blue light to come on.  Of course now I am not at my home so there is no way to connect it on that system, it really should not be this difficult to connect a Bluetooth speaker, I am regretting leaving my Bose BT speaker at home and I am very close to becoming an ex SONOS customer. 

Come on SONOS why are you not responding to your customers?

It is such a shame to watch a once innovative and forward thinking tech company become yet another victim to the almighty corporate god of the Dollar.

Anyone want to buy an unused ROAM very cheap.

Harrison

Userlevel 2

Hi @patdude 

The problem is that your system is on S1, and the Roam is only compatible with S2, as mentioned on our Set up your Sonos Roam help page.

You’ll need to reset the S2 app and when reopening it select to setup a new system, not to connect to an existing one. It may also help to turn the S1 units off while setting up S2. Once setup, however, the S1 and S2 systems/apps will operate properly side-by-side (though separately).

If your Roam isn’t ready to be setup (flashing green) you’ll need to factory reset it first.

In answer to your direct questions:

1. Units are manufactured in advance, to build up stock and we cannot update Roams while they are in boxes in a warehouse. Software development is an on-going process and doesn’t always go as smoothly as marketing plans/executives would like. Therefore, few products (of any brand) that run software are ever sold with up-to-date software installed at the factory.
  2. A Sonos system requires all units on it to be operating on the same software to operate and configure correctly. A new unit, therefore, is not allowed to be added until the app and system are operating on the same software - if they were not, many strange things could happen making you (and many others) even less satisfied with the products. In addition, S1 is vastly different from S2, despite their common look.
  3. If you’d like a refund, arrange for one - just visit https://support.sonos.com/s/money-back-guarantee or return it to the store from which it was bought (though in this case you will be subject to their refund policy, not ours).

I hope this helps.

I appreciate your getting back to me, but hey, these are really pretty lame excuses.

The reality is this - selling a Bluetooth speaker that doesn’t pair because of buggy firmware doesn’t come down to manufacturing logistics, it comes down to an abysmal testing regime. This bug should have been picked up well before the units even made it from the factory to the warehouse. 

As for your reply that "Sonos requires all units to be operating on the same software"???? That excuse might have washed back in the 1980’s but nowadays, regardless of what software is running on Sonos firmware, the gear and its network protocols should be based on agreed industry standards, and these should should work seamlessly via a remote controller app regardless of any software issues.

Putting it simply, this is why I can plug a western digital NAS into a Dlink Router and retrieve files on my Microsoft Surface PC or Mac. If it works with all those brands, why cant Sonos just get it right??? Is this really such a difficulty?

How about you just admit that Sonos went ahead with the S1/S2 debacle to push people into upgrading in order to bolster their revenues. 

I’m definitely getting a refund, but also as a reviewer I am going to actively tell my readership to avoid Sonos until this mess is sorted out or Sonos grows a conscience. Sadly I doubt either is going to happen any time soon.   

Well said sir

I completely agree with you SONOS has lost the plot and is now run by corporate crooks it seems.

As of now, I hate the Roam.  Impossible to connect simply and easily. It’s way too frustrating and too much work to use.  

As of now, I hate the Roam.  Impossible to connect simply and easily. It’s way too frustrating and too much work to use.  

The Roam buttons may seem complicated at first, but those that know the workings of Sonos will likely find it quite easy after a short while of using the device.

I did this quick summary below, which may hopefully assist with understanding the main button presses. The controls certainly do get easier with time and use, I personally don’t even have to think about them for operating the speaker.

Anyhow I hope this helps…

Roam Controls Summary

Rear Power Button:

1. Use this button to power on the device.
  2. A quick press puts device to sleep/wakes up device
  3. A longer press (2nd bleep) puts device into Bluetooth mode (it will go into BT pairing mode, if not paired), or repeat this step for pairing mode, repeat to return to WiFi (or disconnect the pairing on mobile device).
  4. A Longer 5+seconds (3rd bleep) button press, when powered on, will power-off the Roam completely.

Play/Pause Button:

1. A quick press will play/pause the audio.
  2. A quick double press skips to next playing track (if available).
  3. A quick triple press (either restarts playing track, or skips to previous track - depends on audio service in use).
  4. A long press (2nd bleep) will ‘group’ the Roam with a playing Sonos speaker on LAN (repeat to cycle through all playing sources).
  5. A longer press (3rd bleep) will invoke Sonos SoundSwap between Roam and a nearby ‘compatible’ Sonos Speaker (WiFi only). See this feature LINK

There are other combination button options for device-reset and diagnostics etc. but they are rarely necessary, so I haven’t included those.

Userlevel 2

Lovely 

sounds great

but

it DOES NOT WORK

i have tried and tried and tried. And followed all of the above nine of which works

I have a Bose.  I turn it on. It connects. Every time. Period. Do better Sonos. The volume of issues and frustrations here clearly point out the flaws with this product. 

Userlevel 2

#jdgrand 

100% agree

Userlevel 2

AL1 None, not nine  

As for your reply that "Sonos requires all units to be operating on the same software"???? That excuse might have washed back in the 1980’s but nowadays, regardless of what software is running on Sonos firmware, the gear and its network protocols should be based on agreed industry standards, and these should should work seamlessly via a remote controller app regardless of any software issues.

There isn’t any industry standards for wireless mutiroom audio.  Each brand runs their own system (often stealing tech from Sonos) with their own protocols and such.  There is bluetooth and airplay, but they have limitations that Sonos does not.    As well, it’s not at all uncommon for modern devices to require a firmware update after sitting in a warehouse for awhile.  Some devices may not push it right away, because they are stand alone devices.  Sonos is different in the sense that your existing devices are likely already on a version higher than your new device, and thus it needs to catch up.

Putting it simply, this is why I can plug a western digital NAS into a Dlink Router and retrieve files on my Microsoft Surface PC or Mac. If it works with all those brands, why cant Sonos just get it right??? Is this really such a difficulty?

Like I said, you’re assuming their on industry standards for all of this that simply don’t exist.  Yes, Sonos, and other systems do use some industry standards, but they have specific protocols that they use, possibly have patents for.  

How about you just admit that Sonos went ahead with the S1/S2 debacle to push people into upgrading in order to bolster their revenues. 

I’m definitely getting a refund, but also as a reviewer I am going to actively tell my readership to avoid Sonos until this mess is sorted out or Sonos grows a conscience. Sadly I doubt either is going to happen any time soon.   

You would have a point if your assumption about multiroom audio following an industry standard was accurate.

I do, but the only chime I hear is the one that you can hear when the ROAM is turning off.

Perhaps see if the following steps helps to sort it for you.

1. Play some music to the Roam via the Sonos App, this is just to ensure it’s currently connected via WiFi. Pause the music playback with its Play/Pause button.
  2. Next check your mobile Bluetooth device-list that you plan to connect to. If the Roam is in the list already, then remove that device, just in case it is the old connection that was in use before you factory-reset the speaker.
  3. Now press and hold the rear power button on the Roam for two seconds and let go.
  4. Check the Roam then appears in your mobile Bluetooth device-list and select it in order to pair the speaker to the mobile.
  5. All being well, you should now be able to play audio to the Roam via the Bluetooth-connected mobile.

I have gone though this process a couple of times, and still no luck.  I have never once hear a chime or have seen a blue light.  The Roam will just oscillate between blinking white and blinking orange, unless plugged in to which a white light stays on.  No matter how long I hold the power button 2 secs to as long as I can hold it down, I have never seen my phone find Sonos or Roam on my BT pairing.

I have gone though this process a couple of times, and still no luck.  I have never once hear a chime or have seen a blue light.  The Roam will just oscillate between blinking white and blinking orange, unless plugged in to which a white light stays on.  No matter how long I hold the power button 2 secs to as long as I can hold it down, I have never seen my phone find Sonos or Roam on my BT pairing.

It sounds like you are in ‘diagnostic dump’ mode. Fully power off the speaker by long-pressing the rear power button until all lights switch off. (About 5-10 seconds press should be long enough). Wait 30 seconds and power on again and when the device had settled and is showing in the S2 App, then try the steps mentioned again.

Userlevel 2

So the Saga continues.

all the problems I was having were experienced while I was “roaming” traveling from the UAE to the UK with a long stopover in Portugal. It seems that the SONOS “Roam” works fine as long as you are not “roaming”

As soon as I arrived at my UK address it connected to the Sonos network and then allowed me to connect via Bluetooth. I basically carried an extra useless weight in my baggage for the whole trip and could not listen to any music in my guest house without headphones.

I was amazed to read the response from Sonos that the product is sold incomplete with the software still in development. So shouldn’t we pay for 50% of the product and send you the rest when it is finally finished and actually works as advertised?

What about a bicycle manufacturer with electronic gears run by software, “Please pay for my bike, the gears will not shift but we will let you know when you might be able to change gear in future firmware updates”

So Sonos what is the fix for this? Can I ever take this product away from a Sonos system again?

@Aitchliddle,

I’m away from Home for the weekend (enjoying the hot weather spell here in the U.K.) and Roam is working just fine here on both a Bluetooth connection and/or connected to a MiFi 4G device with the iPhone XR as a controller. If you can’t get it to work away from its normal home network, then it’s either user error, or perhaps a faulty device, but our Roam most definitely works. 

The images attached are the Roam (called Walkabout) playing Peter Gabriel on the MiFi signal and The Weekend playing on Bluetooth (using Amazon Music) - no update needed here for the Roam software.

Both types of connection when travelling with the Roam are working fine.

All,  have scoured this thread. Reset Roam to factory settings. “Forget this device” on all iPhones. Went through set up a d set up new system with just the roam on WiFi. Works. Paused via Roam. Pressed Roam button for 2 seconds. Blue light flashing. Add to iPhone Bluetooth. Blue light never stops flashing. But I can connect and play via Apple music. 

Problem…as soon as I get out of WiFi range I loose connection to the Roam and it quits functioning on Bluetooth. It also disappears out of apple music airplay list. 

what am I missing/doing wrong? 

All,  have scoured this thread. Reset Roam to factory settings. “Forget this device” on all iPhones. Went through set up a d set up new system with just the roam on WiFi. Works. Paused via Roam. Pressed Roam button for 2 seconds. Blue light flashing. Add to iPhone Bluetooth. Blue light never stops flashing. But I can connect and play via Apple music. 

Problem…as soon as I get out of WiFi range I loose connection to the Roam and it quits functioning on Bluetooth. It also disappears out of apple music airplay list. 

It sounds like it hasn’t connected to the iPhone if the blue light is still flashing - what is it’s status in the iPhone’s Bluetooth settings? Have you tried removing it from its BT pairing and deleting it on the phone and setting up the pairing again?

It sounds like it hasn’t connected to the iPhone if the blue light is still flashing - what is it’s status in the iPhone’s Bluetooth settings? Have you tried removing it from its BT pairing and deleting it on the phone and setting up the pairing again?

Yes deleted from BT and Re-paired.  Blue light stays blinking but it shows up in airplay and works….until I lose the WiFi network. Maybe it actually doesn’t connect via Bluetooth and just keeps playing over WiFi. As if I turn WiFi off it stops working. 

So I guess this means the Bluetooth connection is not actually working. iPhone can connect to other Bluetooth, like wireless headphones. iPhone 11 with 14.6 software version. 

Yes deleted from BT and Re-paired.  Blue light stays blinking but it shows up in airplay and works….until I lose the WiFi network. Maybe it actually doesn’t connect via Bluetooth and just keeps playing over WiFi. As if I turn WiFi off it stops working. 

So I guess this means the Bluetooth connection is not actually working. iPhone can connect to other Bluetooth, like wireless headphones. iPhone 11 with 14.6 software version. 

My Roam status LED doesn’t flash, but shows a constant blue light when it’s paired and the iPhone shows this (see attached). Roam is called ‘Walkabout’.

Note in the screenshot that my WiFi is not connected, but it still plays okay.

I just use the iPhone BT list as shown in the screenshot to both connect and disconnect the Roam to my iPhone.

Userlevel 2

@Ken_Griffiths Good to hear your Roam is working 

mine is also working now but from all the trail of problem mails it is fairly obvious that there is a problem it should not be a complicated procedure to connect a BT speaker. 
I am concerned about taking this speaker on a trip in case the same thing happens to me again. It was not “user error” I researched and tried every possible solution none of which worked without the unit being connected to a Sonos system which was not available while traveling.

@Ken_Griffiths Good to hear your Roam is working 

mine is also working now but from all the trail of problem mails it is fairly obvious that there is a problem it should not be a complicated procedure to connect a BT speaker. 
I am concerned about taking this speaker on a trip in case the same thing happens to me again. It was not “user error” I researched and tried every possible solution none of which worked without the unit being connected to a Sonos system which was not available while traveling.

All Sonos products require online registration to a user-account over WiFi as part of the setup process, as per the system requirements - but it’s often possible when travelling to do that with a mobile WiFi hotspot. I did however register the Roam before travelling on this occasion.

Userlevel 2

I also did all that before traveling but somehow it became disconnected and subsequently would not connect.

Do you work for Sonos?

It is working now so I will persevere and see if the problem persists.

Enjoy the sunshine Ken

Do you work for Sonos?

It is working now so I will persevere and see if the problem persists.

Enjoy the sunshine Ken

No I’m from the U.K. same as you, from the Midlands area and currently Glamping by the sea in Weston-S-Mare  and visiting relatives here too. Wife and I are retired and have just escaped for a few days whilst the Sun is shining.

Userlevel 2

Awesome, I live on the edge of the Peak District, it’s a lovely part of the World

Have a great staycation 

It sounds like you are in ‘diagnostic dump’ mode. Fully power off the speaker by long-pressing the rear power button until all lights switch off. (About 5-10 seconds press should be long enough). Wait 30 seconds and power on again and when the device had settled and is showing in the S2 App, then try the steps mentioned again.

I had to leave it over a long weekend and am now able to come back to working on this connection issue.  The Roam was off the entire time of my trip, I restarted it, and was able to connect via wifi and start playing music through the S2 app.  At this point I go to my BT settings on my Pixel 3 and there is nothing to remove as I have never once identified the roam as a BT signal.  I click pair new BT device and then hold the power button on the Sonos for 2 seconds.  No flashing lights still solid white, no sonos to pair to in my menu.  The only activation that I can get via the power button is on or off and that happens after 12 seconds of holding down the power button.

@MaS84

On pressing/holding the rear button for a couple of seconds and then letting go the device status LED should switch from white to blue and it flashes until it pairs or is paired with a device. I’m not sure what’s happening in your case but maybe speak/chat to Sonos Support Staff via this LINK, that’s if you still cannot get it to pair. The Staff may take you through a factory reset of the device or they may run some tests with you and if necessary replace it, if it is faulty. Hope you get it sorted soon.

@MaS84

On pressing/holding the rear button for a couple of seconds and then letting go the device status LED should switch from white to blue and it flashes until it pairs or is paired with a device. I’m not sure what’s happening in your case but maybe speak/chat to Sonos Support Staff via this LINK, that’s if you still cannot get it to pair. The Staff may take you through a factory reset of the device or they may run some tests with you and if necessary replace it, if it is faulty. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Thanks for your help I will take this issue though customer support.