Question

Ikea Symfonisk, iTunes and Airplay

• 15 August 2019
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I've just bought an IKEA Symfonisk speaker, set up was easy and sounds good.

I use iTunes to organise my music and, as the Symfonisk has Airplay 2, I can now play the music from iTunes on my PC to the Symfonisk speaker, and with that speaker in a group, to the whole house!

Well in theory, yes. ITunes sees the speaker, I can play through it, and sounds comes out all over the house. But it's very distorted, intermittent.

I've always struggled to maintain a good connection with Sonos speakers in the place. My Connect is wored to the router, so SonosNet works. Sonos is on wify channel 6, the router is on 11.

Any thing I can do to improve performance?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

The first thing I'd go through is the wifi interference FAQ.

I'd hazard a guess that since you've already been playing with keeping the SonosNet and your own wifi on separate channels that your issue may be more from outside sources to your network. So, you may want to try channel 1 for SonosNet, and keep your wifi on 6. As indicated in that FAQ, look for other sources of interference that might be coming from other devices. Make sure that your CONNECT is at least a couple of feet away from your router, etc. Lots of potential things to look at there.

But if that all fails, I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing a dropout/performance issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Airgetlam,

Thanks for that.

I've been through the wifi interference list previously in trying to sort issues I had a few years back, and ended up with a relatively robust system. I think my biggest problem is with concrete floors, and walls. But I will have another check just to see if I've missed anything.

I think my best bet is to submit a diagnostic. I'll do that tomorrow if it happens.
Heh. You're most welcome.

Not familiar enough to know if concrete floors have much of an impact, but the iron rods used in them would certainly have an affect on a radio signal, but again, probably not much. I'm not a radio engineer (although I studied a bit of it for a year, about 40 years ago).

Yea, that's kind of why I was mentioning the outside sources. i.e. I've got a feeling that you've got as robust a system internally, but it's being messed with by external sources. We all like to think that out networks are all "clean", but unfortunately, we live, most usually, next to other people, many of which aren't as concerned about how our systems affect others as we are.

Good luck. If you find the time, would love to hear back in this thread what you find out.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Hi,

Some success!

Phoned the helpline. They said that it would be best to have the Symfonisk plugged in to the router, or to group fewer speakers together at a time.

I had experimented with the number of speakers. If I only linked all my downstairs speakers or upstairs speakers it worked perfectly. As soons as I had all of them linked, the interference started.

The ethernet option isnt really practical, as it's in the hallway and I'd have to run a cable over the ceiling. I've also not got any spare spaces on the router.

I do have some tp-link powerline plugs that have worked effectively in the past, so I've plugged ethernet from the Symfonisk into the tp link plug. Interference eliminated, but still getting the occasional drop out.

Has demonstrated that the speakers furthest from the router suffer from the weakest wifi signal.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Further update.

Added tp link powerline plugs to a couke of speakers with the weakest signal performance.

Result is that I've had uninterrupted music on all speakers playing direct from iTunes on my PC for an hour. Looks like I've found a solution!

Happy boy!😀

Tthanks to Aitgetlam for pointing me in the right direction.
Concrete and brick are essentially opaque to WiFi.
Just as a further warning....which I'm sure you don't want to hear....

Sonos is known to not be very friendly with wifi extenders. They work for some people, they don't work for others. And I have to wonder if it has to do with the version of software on the devices, since it seems like the same brand works in some cases, and not in others.

I'm delighted it's working for you. Just as a warning, if you ever try to get support from Sonos, they'll likely tell you to not use them :)

The other option could be to put a BOOST or another speaker halfway between, which would take the SonosNet mesh network and help increase it in the further areas.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Airgetlam,

Yes, I did know about the use of wifi extenders but......

..... it was a bit of a last resort because the Boost does absolutely nothing for my set up. Interestingly, the last time I was having problems and spoke to the tech guys, they told me it was best to take the Boost out as nothing connected to it- it just sat out on a limb by itself. No matter where I tried to put it.

You would think I lived in a mansion, but I'm in a small two bedroom apartment/flat and no speaker is more than ten feet from the next nearest. The speaker in my living room is no more than 40 feet from the one in the bedroom and they are the furthest apart.

I think I've got it about as robust as I can now.

Bit really appreciate your help on this.

Keith
Heh. You're most welcome, although I think I just jogged your own thought process, and didn't really help.

Seems odd that the BOOST didn't make a difference, but then all wifi networks, including Sonos, are affected by many, many non-obvious things, such as outside interference and physical properties. I'm not enough of an expert to hazard a guess why it didn't work for you...and probably without being physically there, given my meager knowledge, I never could.

But I'm pleased that it's working for you now. Hopefully it will stay that way.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Any stimulation of my thought process is an achievement!

I don't understand the BOOST issue either. I occasionally get it out of the cupboard and plug it in just to see if it will work. One lives in hope. But it just sits there, taunting me.
We live similar lives 🙂