Ignorance

• 23 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Sonos lurker here for many Moons. All this "omg sonos planned obsolescence blah blah blah". People here have been complaining about updates for YEARS now when you're given the golden ticket to ZERO and you complain. Now you can't get those features you didn’t want XD.  Oh well, You cant argue with a mass of hypocrites. BTW good luck on any other manufacture giving you any percentage of your money back from a product that’s been out for years, I could sure use a refund for my Ford... 

Take note:

https://www.statista.com/chart/5824/ios-iphone-compatibility/

The longest Apple supported a device is the iPhone 6s/6s Plus and that devices life cycle is only for 4 years.  The Zone Players where designed prior to 2006 seeing as they released in 2006 meaning the hardware at launch was outdated (well duh when a product is designed the world doesn't just stop producing new tech). Please let me know how many of you are still using an electronic device or vehicle even from 14 years ago. I'll wait.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Me!

iphone 5 …. still works as a phone 

BMW X3 2004 manufactured . Still drives perfect …....

Userlevel 2
Badge

I could sure use a refund for my Ford... 

When you bought your new Ford, did they cripple the first one making it inoperable?

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have no problem with the legacy devices being frozen in time and not supported for future upgrades. a way of life. 

What I disagree with is being sold a new device, when Sonos know full well that I have legacy devices in my system, that will mean my SYSTEM as a whole does not receive any updates. These are not stand alone devices like phones. This has been sold as a whole house solution and to fail to update the whole system when one component is old gets the reaction you see right across the internet. 

Whether you agree with all the maoning or not  this company is gone. 37% of sales are to *existing* customers. Good luck with that in the future. 

SONOS are today selling a CONNECT on their website for £349. 

I have apple phones in my household that do not run iOS 13 but they do not stop my new iPhone from upgrade!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos lurker here for many Moons. All this "omg sonos planned obsolescence blah blah blah".

Not because I fully disagree with you, but just playing devil’s advocate.  I’m trying to see this from both sides.

People here have been complaining about updates for YEARS now when you're given the golden ticket to ZERO and you complain. Now you can't get those features you didn’t want XD.  Oh well, You cant argue with a mass of hypocrites.

Although I’m sure there is overlap it’s mostly different people who do and do not want updates.  And it doesn’t need to be an all or none situation.  Some want updates, just less of them.  And some want updates only to make sure the services they currently use don’t change.    

BTW good luck on any other manufacture giving you any percentage of your money back from a product that’s been out for years, I could sure use a refund for my Ford... 

There is some validity in that comparison.  I think part of the difference is that the Ford can be sold to get part of your investment back, depend on years of use.  This was pretty true of Sonos up till now too, as it did have a good resale value.  However, legacy products now have little or no value in resale, due to lack of support from Sonos.  So there is lost investment value there.  But there an automobile and a smart speaker are very different products, so I don’t know that it’s exactly fair to expect them to behave the same way in terms of resale.

Take note:

The longest Apple supported a device is the iPhone 6s/6s Plus and that devices life cycle is only for 4 years.  The Zone Players where designed prior to 2006 seeing as they released in 2006 meaning the hardware at launch was outdated (well duh when a product is designed the world doesn't just stop producing new tech). Please let me know how many of you are still using an electronic device or vehicle even from 14 years ago. I'll wait.

The counter argument to this is that a smart speaker is a speaker, and should therefore be compared to passive speakers that last for 10+ years.    They did think they were buying a phone like or computer like device that had a EOL like a phone does, they thought they were getting a speaker that keeps working till the hardware fails.

To further that, the fact that these speakers are tightly integrated into a system makes then different from even phones and computers, where are much more loosely integrated.  That really is more of a brand new concept, unlike almost all other consumer products out there, and thus rather difficult in terms of consumer expectations.

It’s a mess regardless.  I get the anger over the change, as I’m not happy about it either. 

Sonos lurker here for many Moons. All this "omg sonos planned obsolescence blah blah blah".

Not because I fully disagree with you, but just playing devil’s advocate.  I’m trying to see this from both sides.

People here have been complaining about updates for YEARS now when you're given the golden ticket to ZERO and you complain. Now you can't get those features you didn’t want XD.  Oh well, You cant argue with a mass of hypocrites.

Although I’m sure there is overlap it’s mostly different people who do and do not want updates.  And it doesn’t need to be an all or none situation.  Some want updates, just less of them.  And some want updates only to make sure the services they currently use don’t change.    

BTW good luck on any other manufacture giving you any percentage of your money back from a product that’s been out for years, I could sure use a refund for my Ford... 

There is some validity in that comparison.  I think part of the difference is that the Ford can be sold to get part of your investment back, depend on years of use.  This was pretty true of Sonos up till now too, as it did have a good resale value.  However, legacy products now have little or no value in resale, due to lack of support from Sonos.  So there is lost investment value there.  But there an automobile and a smart speaker are very different products, so I don’t know that it’s exactly fair to expect them to behave the same way in terms of resale.

I can see your argument but what IOS /Android phone/Electronic can you sell that is as old as these products online for a decent price with no support (aside from any stand alone HiFi/specialty equipment)? A quick check on ebay says a Galazy S4 is at the high end of $40 and thats not close to 14 years of age. Electronics typically have a very low resale. Just look at video games and video game systems.

Take note:

The counter argument to this is that a smart speaker is a speaker, and should therefore be compared to passive speakers that last for 10+ years.    They did think they were buying a phone like or computer like device that had a EOL like a phone does, they thought they were getting a speaker that keeps working till the hardware fails.

Well the Sonos speakers can be closely compared to a Raspberry Pi with a high end speaker connected to it. They are certainly more so computer based since they have to interpret the IEEE standards of communication. But with that were back to the computer out of support argument. I mean if you really wanted to you could rip out the physical speaker and then you can compare it to a passive speaker.

To further that, the fact that these speakers are tightly integrated into a system makes then different from even phones and computers, where are much more loosely integrated.  That really is more of a brand new concept, unlike almost all other consumer products out there, and thus rather difficult in terms of consumer expectations.

It’s a mess regardless.  I get the anger over the change, as I’m not happy about it either. 

I could sure use a refund for my Ford... 

When you bought your new Ford, did they cripple the first one making it inoperable?

I don’t think you know what ford stands for… I can see what OP is doing there lol