Answered

if Sonos are obsoleting legacy products why are they still selling the Connect under the heading of Last Chance at the bottom of their web oage?

• 27 January 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 27 January 2020, 20:46

The Connect listed on the website is the 2015 model Connect, which isn’t a legacy product. We’re committed to providing software updates for all devices for at least five years after they’re no longer sold by us. While there are newer options in this case, the Port is a much upgraded Connect product, the 2015 Connect has higher specs than the one originally designed about a decade ago, and is a modern device currently.

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

The Connect listed on the website is the 2015 model Connect, which isn’t a legacy product. We’re committed to providing software updates for all devices for at least five years after they’re no longer sold by us. While there are newer options in this case, the Port is a much upgraded Connect product, the 2015 Connect has higher specs than the one originally designed about a decade ago, and is a modern device currently.

Userlevel 2

Ok so now I have traded up for 3 new Sonos  Player 5 (Gen 2) that appear to have been around since 2015, when will Sonos render these as Legacy products and stop supporting them?. This so called trade up has cost me in excess of £3000 and put 3 x Player 5s, 2 x Connect Amps, 1 x Connect and 1 x CR200 permanently out of action, when all working 100%  up to a few days ago. All of these products were less than 10 years old. Unfortunately the follow up statement from the CEO arrived to late, but still does not Instill confidence in me. I feel somewhat betrayed by Sonos and have lost confidence and trust in the brand.

Ok so now I have traded up for 3 new Sonos  Player 5 (Gen 2) that appear to have been around since 2015, when will Sonos render these as Legacy products and stop supporting them?

Ryan just answered that question in the post above.  We’re committed to providing software updates for all devices for at least five years after they’re no longer sold by us

. This so called trade up has cost me in excess of £3000 and put 3 x Player 5s, 2 x Connect Amps, 1 x Connect and 1 x CR200 permanently out of action, when all working 100%  up to a few days ago. All of these products were less than 10 years old. Unfortunately the follow up statement from the CEO arrived to late, but still does not Instill confidence in me. I feel somewhat betrayed by Sonos and have lost confidence and trust in the brand.

So you’re saying that you went into the trade in program between when Sonos first announced  that Legacy products were losing support and when the announcement was amended to no longer receiving regular updates, but will receive bug fixes?

Userlevel 2

In a nut shell YES. I received the first notification from Sonos (in Norwegian text) last Tuesday which when Google translated read as:- Software updates are terminated In May, the following products in your plant will be classified as obsolete and will no longer receive updates and new features. This will affect your listening experience.

The obsolete products were introduced between 2005 and 2011. Given the age of the technology, they do not have enough memory or computing power to support future innovations. Note that since Sonos is a system, all products use the same software. If modern products are paired with outdated products after May, they won't get updates and new features either.

You have options
Keep using the old products
You may continue to use your old products after May, but your system will no longer receive updates. Over time, this is likely to disrupt access to services and overall functionality. Update from old products. Save 30% on a new product when upgrading through Sonos' Trade Up program.

I then read a lot of bad press and several negative community posts on this subject and decided to act and activated the TradeUp on Saturday. I also received a new email in Norwegian text from Patrick Spence CEO on Saturday titled All Sonos products will continue to work even after May.

Userlevel 1

I wouldn’t trust Sonos