If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Badge
I am so tired of stupid UNNECESSARY updates that BREAK fully functioning systems for NO REASON.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Lol. I agree. But you can eliminate the pain by reserving IP addresses for Sonos units in your router.
Badge
I don't have a problem with my network, I have a problem where Sonos REQUIRES an update just in order to use your system which was working just fine before. Then they obsolete hardware like certain generation iPad & iPods with no consideration of the customer who had a working system before.

There needs to be a way to stop these updates from occurring and leave the system be.

I just want to listen to my music without interference from Sonos.
I would recommend that you move away from software driven speakers, then. Any company that maintains software driven devices will update the software as often as they feel necessary.
Then they obsolete hardware like certain generation iPad & iPods with no consideration of the customer who had a working system before.
IMO, Sonos by no means has obsoleted Apple hardware, Apple has. By no longer supporting them or updating their OS, while at the same time requiring App developers to target apps at the latest version of iOS, at some point older devices will become unusable or obsoleted.

But as Bruce says, this is the case for any software driven, "connected" devices.
Badge
That's not the point. When a customer has a functioning system and is happy with how it works, being able to control it with his current devices, why screw with it? Why create such a problem for a HAPPY customer?
Badge
I would recommend that you move away from software driven speakers, then. Any company that maintains software driven devices will update the software as often as they feel necessary.

Not a very customer focused response, When you have happy customers who have a working system, using the excuse that it is a software driven solution that costs thousands of dollars, and that the manufacturer can make changes of your purchase at a whim, and I should look elsewhere is a pathetic and condescending response. Your remark that brings nothing to the conversation.

Why antagonize customers with these updates that obsolete working components of a system?

Why not leave the decision up to the person who PURCHASED the hardware whether or not to upgrade firmware & software?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or at least let the customer make that decision himself. If there are problems down the road then you can always spout the party line "are you using the latest firmware & software".

Either way, you are not helpful in this situation.
First, I'm not a Sonos employee, I'm a user, just like you.

Second, I recognize that Sonos makes money by selling speakers. In order to sell more speakers, they've come up with a model in which they've put a small computer inside each device, and they continue to add more features, in order to attract more customers to purchase the speakers.

It sounds like you're not a fan of updates, which I comprehend. What I was trying to say is that if you don't want to be getting software/firmware updates, it's most likely that you need to find some sort of product that doesn't contain firmware (or no firmware at all) that can/should be updated. My TV updates in the background. My computers and phones update when I tell them to. My Alexa updates in the background. My DVD player updates. My car updates its firmware. All of these devices can and want to be updated by the manufacturers, in order that they can provide you the latest and greatest features, so that you'll consider them as a viable manufacturer for future purposes.

You don't want that. So, I'd stand by my recommendation that you move away from devices that are designed for updating, and back to more conventional / older styles of equipment. Standard speakers don't have computers in them, or firmware that can be updated. You might find those pieces of equipment more suitable to your desires.

I'm truly sorry that you don't like the updates. They don't bother me, but it's entirely a personal thing, and I'm not trying to force my viewpoint on you.
Badge
I like updates if they bring value. If they create problems for using an iPod to control my bedroom speaker when it works perfectly as I like it, I and ONLY I should be able to look at the update, considers the changes, and then I decide if I want to make the changes.

My investment in Sonos, and it is considerable, should not be tethered to the whims of "software upgrades" based on what the manufactures desires in a already purchased system. If I am happy with what I have and how it works, why the frick throw a wrench in to that cog?

I used to brag about my system and I'm probably responsible for several sales based on my Sonos evangelism, but this screwing with a perfectly good system because it's "software based" is poor business. I can create more Sonos NON-customers than Sonos New customers based on my experiences. It's not a good business model to screw with happy customers who like to boast about their Sonos system.

Again, if customers are happy with the performance and function of their Sonos system, they should have the ability to DECIDE to upgrade or not. It should NOT be a forced mandate.

If Sonos continues with this tyrannical management of my Sonos system, I'll have no choice but to voice my displeasure to anyone who can listen. That includes Best Buy and Costco and any potentials customers looking at Sonos.

If Sonos continues with this tyrannical management of my Sonos system,.

Look around on the forum posts history to see how to opt out of doing updates; this isn't as tyrannical as you suggest since there is clear way to opt out. Yes, one needs to consciously do this, it is not a default setting because I suspect Sonos prefers everyone to be on the latest versions to make the support task more efficient.
[quote=Kumar][quote=TexEd]

I agree entirely with TexEd. I am in exactly the same boat. 11 zones for 10 years works great. i am spending more money so that can play for what was a very good working system.
That's not the point. When a customer has a functioning system and is happy with how it works, being able to control it with his current devices, why screw with it? Why create such a problem for a HAPPY customer?
Define current. As you may or may not know, the ecosystems in which the controller apps live (Android and iOS) constantly evolve and at that some point, they will have evolved so far that older devices become non-compatible. You simply cannot blame Sonos for this. Every company that has an app on these platforms faces this issue. I read somewhere that the Nest app also stopped working on iOS 9. I wouldn't know, as from a standpoint of security, ease of use and features, I don't actively use any tablet or smartphone that old.
Think about it, Sonos speakers from before 2010 still work on the system. Sonos does not benefit from the fact that your iDevice can no longer control Sonos. Given this, and their track record in backwards compatibility, I would argue they would prefer to have everything working as far back as possible. However, they do have a choice to make and in the world of tech, it is the logical choice to keep up to date with the latest developments, sometimes at the cost of backwards compatibility.
Badge
It still boils down to it's MY equipment. I paid thousands for the 9 Sonos products I have. Updating ANY component should be MY decision and Sonos should supply the info about the why and what will happen when I CHOOSE to update.

At this point, I have found an alternative app that controls my Sonos system without any Internet access. I've uninstalled ALL Sonos apps and isolated all my Sonos speakers from the internet. My 3rd party app can play all the music I have stored on my Synology NAS and I never have to worry about Sonos wrecking an evening or a party because of stupid updates that are not needed or wanted. Oh, and 3rd party apps still support iOS 9, so my old iPod Touch is still a controller again.

The sad thing is that I will probably NEVER buy another Sonos product again because in doing so, I would have to expose it to their awful software and update system.

The end result is, this is Sonos's loss as I have gone from evangelist, to someone who warns against investing in a system where you don't control what you own. Not only will they lose my future business, but many friends & colleagues and anyone else who understands my perspective.

I simply want my working system to be left alone, but they could not do that. That short sighted thinking will cost them future revenue and customers.
It still boils down to it's MY equipment. I paid thousands for the 9 Sonos products I have. Updating ANY component should be MY decision and Sonos should supply the info about the why and what will happen when I CHOOSE to update.Updates can be turned off. They always could.

I never have to worry about Sonos wrecking an evening or a party because of stupid updates that are not needed or wanted.you could have turned them off to prevent this. Also, just because you don't see the need, doesn't mean there isn't any.

Oh, and 3rd party apps still support iOS 9, so my old iPod Touch is still a controller again.Until they too will be forced to drop support of older iOS versions in favor of new ones, or risk not being allowed in the store anymore.

The sad thing is that I will probably NEVER buy another Sonos product again because in doing so, I would have to expose it to their awful software and update system.

The end result is, this is Sonos's loss as I have gone from evangelist, to someone who warns against investing in a system where you don't control what you own. Not only will they lose my future business, but many friends & colleagues and anyone else who understands my perspective.
I'm sure it will come up in the next board meeting.

I simply want my working system to be left alone, but they could not do that. That short sighted thinking will cost them future revenue and customers.You mentioned you have now gained the control you wanted by isolating your system. The fact that you were able to, is a case in point in favor of Sonos. Many smart speakers will not let you turn off updates or disconnect them from the internet at all.
I understand your frustration, but I don't agree singling out Sonos in this, since it's ubiquitous in these consumer electronics today. Apple themselves are renowned for walling their garden and controlling as much as possible how you use your device.