Question

I thought Sonos would be easier than this...

• 29 December 2016
  • 6 replies

Hi everyone...
I have a sonos Play 1.
I don't have a television.
I have a iMac and Macbook pro on which I watch netflix and listen to my music which has been downloaded.

Why is this not as easy as casting with chromecast? Why aren't there plugins for your browser? This is insane!

Okay... now that I'm done b*tching....

I've been through a heap of these entries but haven't found anything. Has a solution been found yet? One that doesn't require a degree in electrical engineering?

I'm going to return it if I have to rig it like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrYNFlsfBYk

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

No solution needed as Sonos is a multiroom, multi-source, multi-controller music streaming system, which is does brilliantly. If you wanted a speaker to play your computer audio then that is the product you should have bought. Best return it and get a Bluetooth speaker.
That's not my question john. It doesn't connect to my computers for audio while watching movies. I want a solution, not an advertisement.
A lot of people - including me - feel for you! I wish for the comfort of a multi-room system that I also get to connect my 3rd-party devices to any of my speakers by line-in, without having to pay for a separate box or a high-price speaker (PLAY:5).

Maybe the Denon HEOS system suits your needs better, as they integrate line-in into all of their speakers.

However, keep in mind that:
- their software is not as stable
- their software is not as user friendly
- they have external power supplies
- their smaller speakers are higher-priced (probably due to line-in)
That's not my question john. It doesn't connect to my computers for audio while watching movies. I want a solution, not an advertisement.

The only solution for the Play:1 would be to purchase a Sonos Connect and wire its line-in to the computer and stream the line-in to the Play:1. But that is pretty expensive solution to a problem better solved by purchasing something more fit-to-use. Bottom line, Sonos Play:1 simply was not designed to connect to your computer for audio when watching movies. It has no facility for "push" audio from anything, and the buffering needed to ensure multi-room play causes audio/video delays anyway. Sorry, but John B is correct. If you wish for a computer speaker, you should get a computer speaker, either wired or Bluetooth.
A lot of people - including me - feel for you! I wish for the comfort of a multi-room system that I also get to connect my 3rd-party devices to any of my speakers by line-in, without having to pay for a separate box or a high-price speaker (PLAY:5).

Maybe the Denon HEOS system suits your needs better, as they integrate line-in into all of their speakers.

However, keep in mind that:
- their software is not as stable
- their software is not as user friendly
- they have external power supplies
- their smaller speakers are higher-priced (probably due to line-in)

Thanks for the info - I'll check out the Denon!
That's not my question john. It doesn't connect to my computers for audio while watching movies. I want a solution, not an advertisement.it's a strange advert that suggests you buy another product, but as you wish. The solution is still buy another product.