I'm driving myself crazy

• 4 September 2018
  • 2 replies

About a year ago I discovered Sonos while in the process while trying to determine the best wireless speaker system. My "one" Sonos One has multiplied into several multi room systems. In the living room I have a full 5.1 surround system with the PlayBar as the base, stereo paired ones in the bedroom and a couple other ones scattered around the house. I'm moving into a new house so the 5.1 system is getting sent to the basement for entertainment system duty. Exciting, I get to buy new equipment for the living room! I picked up a Play 5 yesterday to try it out. I was expecting it to be the "Holy Grail." It's a decent speaker but doesn't sound near as good as the One's paired with the sub for listening to music. Because I drank the Kool-Aid I'm convinced I need to add another 5 and a sub to get the experience I want. However, the the fantastic experience I've had with the ones and the sub have me wondering if two fives and a sub will be much better than the ones and the sub? Not to sound like a brat, but money isn't an issue. I want the best Sonos music experience I can get in a great room. I know this subject has been flogged to death... but?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
About a year ago I discovered Sonos while in the process while trying to determine the best wireless speaker system. My "one" Sonos One has multiplied into several multi room systems. In the living room I have a full 5.1 surround system with the PlayBar as the base, stereo paired ones in the bedroom and a couple other ones scattered around the house. I'm moving into a new house so the 5.1 system is getting sent to the basement for entertainment system duty. Exciting, I get to buy new equipment for the living room! I picked up a Play 5 yesterday to try it out. I was expecting it to be the "Holy Grail." It's a decent speaker but doesn't sound near as good as the One's paired with the sub for listening to music. Because I drank the Kool-Aid I'm convinced I need to add another 5 and a sub to get the experience I want. However, the the fantastic experience I've had with the ones and the sub have me wondering if two fives and a sub will be much better than the ones and the sub? Not to sound like a brat, but money isn't an issue. I want the best Sonos music experience I can get in a great room. I know this subject has been flogged to death... but?

Hi there,

Welcome to the community, and sorry for the late response. One thing you might try is un-bonding the Sub from your Ones, and set up it with your Play:5. This should give you a good idea of the sound, without the stereo separation. If you haven't already tried, running Trueplay might help as well.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
If money is no object, you can't get much better than two 5's and a sub. The only downside is you cant hook it up to your TV as easy. Unless it's only for music, I would wait for the new AMP in your living room.