Question

I have recently got Sonos play 3 and to my disappointment it lack versatility on every level.

I have recently got Sonos play 3 and to my disappointment it lack versatility on every single level. Can't play any music unless it is through the dreadful and unusable app supplied by Sonos. It's integration with Spotify leaves a lot to be desired and the fact that I'm unable to play music direct from laptop makes this purchase even more pointless. Maybe I should of done my research better but a product that cost this amount of money should be far more versatile and there is no excuse that app should be so bad when it advertises itself as fully integrating with Spotify. I will certainly not be purchasing anymore speakers in the future and most likely be adding my Play 3 to eBay.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

It's versatility is as a centrally controlled, seamlessly integrated, rock solid, whole house synchronized audio system.  You are looking for a Bluetooth speaker.
I appreciate that but it doesn't explain how terrible the app is and how it doesn't seamlessly work with Spotify?
The limitations are Spotify's responsibility.  There are other music services on Sonos that offer better functionality.  I'm sorry you are disappointed but you were right when you said you should have done your research.  Sonos does what it does brilliantly.  The fact that it doesn't do what you want it to do is not Sonos' fault.
So a poorly designed app is not Sono's fault? I not arguing that it doesn't sound OK my problem is with the software.
So a poorly designed app is not Sono's fault? I not arguing that it doesn't sound OK my problem is with the software.
Your opinion of a "poorly designed app" is subjective at best.  Also, if you are talking specifically about the Spotify implementation, that is all on Spotify.  Music services on Sonos develop their own interface using the Sonos Music Partners API.  The fact that Spotify chooses to limit the features they allow on Sonos is not Sonos' fault.  Try Google Play Music, their Sonos implementation is great, and they allow you to stream to Sonos through their app.
Userlevel 2
Spotify on Sonos predates the Sonos music partner api. To say it is all on Spotify is wrong imo. Sonos decided not to join Spotify Connect program. As is their right. Spotify competes directly in Sonos space with other hardware vendors. Both companies probably lack incentives to improve the experience. Media reports paint a fractured relationship between the two companies. Both companies are at fault IMHO.
True Spotify predates the API, but that means nothing now that the API is in place. However, you are correct that there is a contentious relationship, and it's not getting better. Still, Sonos' refusal to lock into Spotifys proprietary Connect does not preclude Spotify utilizing the API.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I don't agree with Spankys view of the sonos app. Recently moved to Sonos and my wife commented on how easy the app was to use. She had struggled with the iTunes app and was very pleased with it.
I'm not talking about its user-ability, I'm referring to its versatility 
I can't play you tube, news stories, large portions of spotify, garage band, general online content, films, etc...need I go on????
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
I can't play you tube, news stories, large portions of spotify, garage band, general online content, films, etc...need I go on????
Please don't...
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I too am new to Sonos and it is AWSOME!  My whole family loves it and my wife likes the app for ease of use.  

Have a look at

My Sonos story (Love Sonos)

We have 8 speakers in the house and I am at sea half the time and not once has my wife (hates tech) had one bad thing to say about Sonos or had a problem with it.  When I am home it is different as she says I play AC/DC to loud!  LOL

If you want help with your Sonos gear you have come to the right place,  We (the users) are here to help.

If you came here to bitch about Sonos you have come to the wrong place as we are all very happy with our Sonos systems.  

Look before you say what it does not do maybe you should try and figure out why we all love it and what it does do?

Les
So have you sold the Play:3 yet as you were thinking of doing, Spankys?  It's clear you bought the wrong product for your particular needs.  You need a cheap Bluetooth speaker that sounds rubbish, has no capacity to integrate with an existing hifi, doesn't have a soundbar as a sister product, and can't do multiroom.  I wanted all of those things so I bought Sonos.  It's not right for everyone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I can do all the things sparky want to do. Just need get a so is unit with input or a simple install of airsonos. If he doesn't want to do that then he has purchased wrong product.
I can do all the things sparky want to do. Just need get a so is unit with input or a simple install of airsonos. If he doesn't want to do that then he has purchased wrong product.
This post looks more and more like a wind -up to me. I suggest we all save our efforts for more worthy causes
In fact, anyone good at anagrams and want to have a go at "spankys catering".  If you can be bothered....
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Spankys,

Sorry to hear that you don't enjoy your purchase.

You essentially bought a module of a wireless music distribution system with outstanding capabilities that truly shine with multiple room/zone setup. Given your use case, you are probably better suited for an AirPlay or Bluetooth speaker that focuses on ad-hoc demands instead of home penetration.

As for the app, i am personally not aware of any other software that allows seamless access to countless music services and provides global search functionality across all of them.

It maybe just time for an assessment of your true needs, and if you just recently purchased the Play:3 your retailer or Sonos (if you bought it from them directly) will gladly accept your return within the period they support.

Cheers!
Spankys,

Sorry to hear that you don't enjoy your purchase.

You essentially bought a module of a wireless music distribution system with outstanding capabilities that truly shine with multiple room/zone setup. Given your use case, you are probably better suited for an AirPlay or Bluetooth speaker that focuses on ad-hoc demands instead of home penetration.

As for the app, i am personally not aware of any other software that allows seamless access to countless music services and provides global search functionality across all of them.

It maybe just time for an assessment of your true needs, and if you just recently purchased the Play:3 your retailer or Sonos (if you bought it from them directly) will gladly accept your return within the period they support.

Cheers!

Bernhard - with apologies to "Spankys" if I am mistaken, but I suspect a wind-up here.
I feel that my comments have been taken out of contexts and some of you have been needlessly offended (do you have stock options?). It's just my opinion and was hoping for some impartial advice, feedback and some general debating. Thank you to those who have actually entered into the sprit of things. Chris's suggested of airsonos could the option I'm looking for, awesome. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Let us know how it works for you Spanky's
Thank Chris I will have a bash at it tomorrow and let you know.
John B I believe douche bag comes to mind.
Had a nice surprise over Christmas..friends clubbed together to as they said 'Bring me into the modern world' no wires, no fiddly discs etc. They purchased for me a sonos 3. I was delighted. Opened the box, well presented, looked at the instillation leaflet supplied, downloaded the sonos to my lap top, set it up by the easy to understand instructions...end..you are now connected...then 'You are not connected' Went into the troubleshooting instructions. Followed these step by step...nothing on ALL the troubleshooting instructions. To say I am disappointed is an understatement! I thought this modern technical age was to make things easier, think I will give it away and just get a CD player....plug it in, turn it on, slip in the disc, press play...and it does. Looked up how much my friends paid for this......
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Do you want help? Or are you going tp give it away? There are plenty of users here ready to help and even some Sonos staff.

How about explaining you problem, then we can help and get you listening to your Play 3, which is an excellent speaker.