Question

I have an idea of how to sort out this legacy mess. (Feedback welcome)

• 4 February 2020
  • 1 reply

We all want to use or Sonos Devices long after support ends. I propose The Sonos Bridge 2.0 – Stay with me. This would be a local network device that does not require an internet connection.

You would connect all of your wireless Sonos products to the Bridge, without an App (press and hold paring buttons)

Then connect the Bridge to your network (WiFi / Ethernet)

Here’s the Future-proofing, the Bridge has a local IP address, and a local web-based management console. (similar to a managed network switch).

Open the local API for the Bridge and anyone can then make a 3rd party controller.

This also fixes the legacy problem, as only the Bridge would need to be supported.

Sonos could choose to update the Bridge with features or not, doesn’t matter. Full local control and API, means your Sonos system will be functional, online or offline, forever.

The Most annoying part of this, is that this is trivial for Sonos.

I would buy more, if it didn’t matter about their “Support”, it's crazy, keeping the system locked down doesn't get them more money from me, it's not like i am forced a subscription, it doesn't make any sense as to why they would restrict their system so much.

I bought most of my equipment 8 years ago (no amps or play 5s) 

1 reply

The Most annoying part of this, is that this is trivial for Sonos.

I don't know if this is trivial, but Sonos does seem to be lacking the will to address how to not break their own past promises.

Assuming that Sonos does not find this will, there is a very simple solution that does not need Sonos - it just needs a line in jack on the modern side of a split system. Wire Echo Dots to both pairs of line in jacks after setting the jacks to Autoplay. Job done, for what Sonos refuses to do: offer interoperability of the two systems.

For detail on this solution and much more, see:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/the-sonos-brexit-and-pragmatic-ways-past-it-6836056