I Hate Sonos

• 16 July 2022
  • 5 replies

• Contributor II
  • 2 replies

Received a Sonos Roam as a birthday present to add to my seven existing speakers. And then the Hell began.

I bought all of my speakers after 2017, but the three 5s are apparently bricks. (Although Sonos sometimes says that 2 of my 5s and both of my 3s are incompatible).

I also had not realised that new Sonos products aren’t backwards compatible. Fool me.

So I tried to set up two networks, but installing Sonos 2 totally broke my Sonos 1 network so that I can do nothing with it. I can’t even play any music.

So I am left with a Roam going back to the shop and a totally broken network where I cannot use any of my existing products since they need ‘upgrades’ but the upgrades fail. I’ve decided to take everything to the tip, which is where Sonos products belong.

What a company!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Play:5/gen1 was discontinued in Nov 2015 (when gen 2 was released) so if you bought yours “after 2017” they were very old stock.

The rationale behind the S1/S2 split has been gone over in exhaustive, and exhausting, detail in other threads. It’s indeed the case that the Roam requires S2, and directions for setting up separate S1 & S2 systems are covered here. In fact your new Roam just needed to be set up as a ‘new system’ with the S2 app.

If you’d like to do more that let off steam, and want help to reconstruct your S1 system, then let us know. In essence you’d start from the Play:5s, which must have remained on S1. Factory reset any of your Play:1s/Play:3s that have ‘escaped’ onto S2 and when you add them back to the Play:5s they ought to downgrade to S1. 

My S1 and S2 systems coexist on the same network.

This remains the troll’s topic of choice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I gave my daughter a Play:1 and set an S2 Household up for it completely separate to our S1 Whole House system.

When setting S2 up all our S1 speakers were turned off.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Best bet is to try and rebuild your S1 set up from one working speaker, and start factory resetting one more at a time and adding them back in.

Get rid of the S2 app on your device.

I'm still on S1 with no complaints and no need to go S2 (luckily the Move is S1 compatible).