I can't add songs to a Sonos playlist in the IOS App

New to Sonos, have the app on iphone 5c. i have created a Sonos playlist and the onscreen instructions tell me to pres the 3 dots when browesing or listening to a song and then select add to playlist. when i press the 3 dots this isn't an option i am given.

while a song is playing i am only given the option of crossfade and sleep timer when i am scrolling through songs i am given the options of play now, play next, add to que and replace queue. no option to add to a playlist

am i doing something wrong?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

I assume this is because you are playing a track that is stored on your phone.  You cannot put tracks stored on a mobile device into a Sonos playlist.
This is so depressing. I've just spend a fortune on a SONOS after being told the exact opposite to the above. I now have a £500 speaker in my kitchen that is useless. Joy.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
This is so depressing. I've just spend a fortune on a SONOS after being told the exact opposite to the above. I now have a £500 speaker in my kitchen that is useless. Joy.
Only songs from the device can't be stored in a SONOS playlist, but any song from any other service can be added. Also you could just make a playlist using the default music app on your device and then select that in the SONOS app.
Thanks guys but I don't understand. Every computer or device I have uses I-tunes and it won't let me copy them anywhere else, but it won't let me play them on anything else either. My options seems to be headphones using I-tunes or nothing. I ahve been trying for days tp sort this and not succeeded at all. Really frustrating. 
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Thanks guys but I don't understand. Every computer or device I have uses I-tunes and it won't let me copy them anywhere else, but it won't let me play them on anything else either. My options seems to be headphones using I-tunes or nothing. I ahve been trying for days tp sort this and not succeeded at all. Really frustrating. 
Are you saying that you are unable to add your iTunes library to SONOS? If so, then here's some instructions on how to add your iTunes music to SONOS (called 'Music Library') https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/261/~/sharing-your-music-with-sonos Note: Scroll down to 'Add A Shared Folder' on the website above and follow the steps. For the location of the music, choose 'In My Music folder' and remember to 'Update your Music Library' often, or setup auto-indexing.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
If not, then I don't fully understand the problem. EDIT: Once you've added your Music Library, you will be able to play playlists already in your iTunes library and add songs in 'Music Library' to SONOS Playlists
Just a footnote to Josh's excellent advice.  You talk about not being able to copy the files - but the point is you don't need to, just tell Sonos where to find the music.  Sonos then indexes the music files, and goes and gets them from your iTunes folder when you select to play them.  Which is why the computer with your iTunes on it has to be switched on and connected to your home network for this to work.
Thnaks folks - really appreciate the help here. The main PC in my house is not networked as such, it is ethernet connected to my hub and has no wireless capability. Is this where I do the process on the above link? If it's not wireless I don't understand how the Sonos will retrieve the music. I know thaat my iPAD and iPOD Touch will use their own iTunes software to link to the same account?
Hi Ian.  The main PC in your house IS networked - having it connected by Ethernet is better than a wireless connection.  The music travels by Ethernet to your router, then over your wifi network to the Sonos player (or via a Bridge and Sonos' own wireless network, depending on the type of setup you have).  Your iPhone controller is just telling the system what to do.  Everything is connected one way or another
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Basically what John is saying: As long as the PC is connected to the internet via the router be it through an Ethernet cable or wirelessly using WiFi, the above link will work.
Strictly speaking the connection to the internet is not relevant to my point.  For the purposes of playing music stored on the computer only the link to the home network (LAN) matters and that can be wired or wireless.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Once you get this sorted you will be able to play your music on Sonos and control it from any device on your Wifi network with the Sonos app on it.
Ian, if you haven't already set up your Sonos music library yet then just go for it and see what happens, and don't worry about how it will work.  It will work!!  On the assumption that your iTunes is on your main computer, you will find it easiest to set up the Sonos music library using a Sonos controller on that computer.  But as CapnLes says, once it is set up you will be able to play songs from it using any Sonos controller.
Guys. What can I say! It worked! I'm not sure what I did wrong the first time but I re-installed the SONOS player on my PC and reset the SONOS to a new network and it is all there exaclty as you said it would be! I can't thank each of you enough for your help and patience - you are top folks each and every one of you. I've set up favourites and even connected and saved my fav radio stations! Sound is awesome and I'm a happy guy. Thanks again!
Yes - I second everything CapnLes said.  Very pleased it's sorted out.  Enjoy!
It is a great system and I love my Sonos system.  But like all tech these days it does so much and some outside thing or just not understanding the system can cause problems.  If you have any more question just come back here and someone will try and help you out.Les wish i could say mine was solid cant stand trying to figure out out music on phone and not able to make playlist or play music
wish i could say mine was solid cant stand trying to figure out out music on phone and not able to make playlist or play music

Then stop trying to "trying to figure out out music on phone". It's an outdated and problem plagued technique that requires excessive bandwidth and relies on a phone that may or may not be in use for a myriad of other things, not to mention moving in and out of wireless range. Add your iTunes library from a PC (or better yet, a standalone NAS) and never worry about streaming from your phone again. It will even import all your playlists from iTunes, so you can match them with your phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Or put all of your music in the cloud on google play for free, and stream it anytime to sonos with no need for pc to be on, and you can log in and play music on any pc online ie at work etc.
I hope this guide helps you as well.
Also fairly new to Sonos, and I have had the same can't add to Sonos from iPhone, and found this thread helpful. After you add all your music from your iTunes to your Sonos library, you still have to have your computer on and running, as the library is only a link? Or once you get it into the actual Sonos library on your computer, it is in Sonos and the computer does not need to be on and running? With a laptop, I do not leave it plugged in so do not leave it running, so do not see the point of putting everything into the Sonos library then. I am a senior, so please clarify. So far my best fix is make up my playlists etc in iTunes on my phone, which shares all my music via the cloud, and play that. Then computer does not need to be running. I periodically update my phone if adding music via cds, etc. So pretty well everything is on there. I do have google play from one of my kids, and use it, but did not realize you could add your own music to it - will have to look that up!