Question

how to stop others from connecting to my device

• 17 August 2020
  • 2 replies

I am in college with a few roommates. All on the same WiFi and they have figured out that they can connect to my speaker and crank the music all the way up. I need a way to password protect it so my speaker doesn’t blast Hannah Montana at 3am against my will. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Sonos doesn’t provide any password protection for their connection, since it’s designed for home use, the assumption is that you protect access by giving people access to your WiFi signal or not. But anyone on the same subnet has access to your Sonos.

If your school allows it, you could set up a travel router that connects to the school’s network, and creates a personal network for you and your Sonos to connect to, as long as you give no one else access to that network, they won’t have access to your Sonos. However, many schools prohibit setting up networks that work off of their signal, so make sure you clear it with the school’s IT department, it would be unfortunate to be expelled or prosecuted in some way. 

Buy one of the plugin wifi extenders - Plug it in your room and change the password on the extender then connect to the Sonos speaker via that.

Problem solved around £10 :)