How to set up preset Groups?

• 2 February 2016
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I know I must be missing something really obvious, but how in the heck do you set up preset Groups? We can add and remove speakers on the fly from Groups, but having to do that each and every time is getting really old. There must be a way to set up a preset so that, as an example, in the mornings, we can select the "Downstairs" Group to play music on, while at night, we can select the "Master Bedroom" Group, and when people come over, we can select the "All Speakers" Group, without having to manually add/remove speakers every single time.

When there are only one or two speakers, it's not that big a deal, but once you get to having 4, 5, 6, or more speakers, it's kind of a pain.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

No, you can't, there is no concept of preset groups.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
There should be
HI Gang --

I see this as the most glaring flaw in the entire SONOS infrastructure. I have 23 (!) speakers, and having to
group them by hand each time I change source is a real limitation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why would you have to re-group when you change source?

I grant you preset "might" be a nice addition to have but it's not the be all and end all when, to be frank, grouping and un-grouping speakers is really easy.
Well, for instance, when I watch television, the SONOS system does not pass the TV sound along
to the other speakers with enough power to avoid dropouts on the others -- beyond the soundbar, sub, mains, and surrounds.
When using other than the TV source, I obviously would want to have all of the speaker in the group, as dropouts
are no longer a problem. Having volume presets would be ideal for both applications. Neither is currently available.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well, for instance, when I watch television, the SONOS system does not pass the TV sound along
to the other speakers with enough power to avoid dropouts on the others -- beyond the soundbar, sub, mains, and surrounds.

You've obviously got wireless interference or IP conflicts if you are having speakers drop off - No such thing as "Not passing sound with enough power".
This is not what I was told by the SONOS tech support people. They were quite
explicit in saying that the system was not set up to pass along TV sound.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That's true.

But if you are having flaky connectivity when doing that wire the Playbar to the router or get a Boost.

But just because the Playbar isn't designed to pass TV sound around the house (it isn't) is not the same thing as saying you'd expect grouped speakers to drop off.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
A relly great suggestion. In my family we have several scenarios that is used throughout the week . EG: Morning : group bedroom, Bathroom1 and kitchen. Sunday - group Kitchen, dining room and two living rooms and so on.
This should not be a hard SW update to implement?
Userlevel 1
Badge
A relly great suggestion. In my family we have several scenarios that is used throughout the week . EG: Morning : group bedroom, Bathroom1 and kitchen. Sunday - group Kitchen, dining room and two living rooms and so on.
This should not be a hard SW update to implement?

Agree Troi, this would be an amazing addition to the Sonos app. Hopefully soon?
I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!! I am a huge Sonos fan and costumer. I bought the sub, bar and 2 ones for a home theater system, works amazing! However, when the system is configured for home theater, playing music is not good and vice versa. It is not super easy to reconfigure every time I want to watch TV, it takes a few minutes to go through the home theater set up. Please provide an update that allows me to switch back and forth (presets) with one touch.

The other issue is why in the heck does such a high end product, which only a audiophile would put out the big cash for, not have a 5 band EQ....I just don't get it. Please provide a more advanced EQ!
Badge
I know I must be missing something really obvious, but how in the heck do you set up preset Groups? We can add and remove speakers on the fly from Groups, but having to do that each and every time is getting really old. There must be a way to set up a preset so that, as an example, in the mornings, we can select the "Downstairs" Group to play music on, while at night, we can select the "Master Bedroom" Group, and when people come over, we can select the "All Speakers" Group, without having to manually add/remove speakers every single time.

When there are only one or two speakers, it's not that big a deal, but once you get to having 4, 5, 6, or more speakers, it's kind of a pain.
Totally agree... this is at the top of my list. It would change the entire sonos experience, for the better.