Answered

How to rename speakers after update?

• 13 October 2018
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I just let Sonos update on my two desktops. The option to rename a speaker in Settings has disappeared. I do not own a mobile device. Can I still rename speakers from the PCs?
icon

Best answer by Chris 13 October 2018, 19:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No you have to use a mobile device to make any setting changes after last update. Desktop is a controller only with no setup options.

You don’t have any mobile device? May be time to trade in that flip phone.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
You have to live with your set up as is or buy a mobile device. Then buy a new mobile device when that one becomes unsupported, rinse repeat.

Welcome to Sonos' new rental world of taking things away and bricking devices. You don't like it? Tough crap they won't even let you roll back.
No you have to use a mobile device to make any setting changes after last update. Desktop is a controller only with no setup options.

You don’t have any mobile device? May be time to trade in that flip phone.

Really? Why?! Everyone has a PC or laptop connected to their network. I find it baffling that Sonos decides to force users to change settings on a crappy 4-5" touchscreen.
Philips Fidelio forced the same on it's users. Turned out great...
Chris is just reporting the case, he didn't make the decision, either way. You may want to read the announcement thread about that change:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/updates-to-the-desktop-controller-coming-soon-6813300
Badge +1
Needed to change the name of a room. Went to the app on my Mac and lo and behold ... um ... well it used to be here. Been doing it this way for 14+ years. Then I found this. Doesn't make sense to me to not have this ability any more. C'est la vie...
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I added the ability to Rename players to my Windows app.
Not an acceptable change. This functionality needs to be put back in the desktop app. I don't need a freaking account with Sonos so that I can use an app on my phone to access my speakers in my house. When I want to manage my speakers, I'll do so from my PC where I have a keyboard and a mouse.
Not an acceptable change. This functionality needs to be put back in the desktop app. I don't need a freaking account with Sonos so that I can use an app on my phone to access my speakers in my house. When I want to manage my speakers, I'll do so from my PC where I have a keyboard and a mouse.

It's not coming back. You have to decide your course of action.