Answered

How to connect my turntable to Sonos speakers

• 27 October 2017
  • 5 replies

I have a Denon DP-200USB turntable which has an internal amp and I have 2xPlay:1 speakers and a Connect. How do I configure this to work?
icon

Best answer by lesterforrest 27 October 2017, 17:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Update. I managed to get the two play 1 speakers working with the connect by just plugging in the white and red cord from the turntable to the connect device and I have to select the play feature in the app for “LINE IN”. Now I can hear the music playing through the speakers which are set up as stereo but the sound isn’t very loud, even at the highest volume setting. Am I missing something? Do I need to connect a digital cord from amp to speakers like a LAN line cause I tried that and it made no diff.
Change the line in level settings to higher levels, 8 or above, till 10.
Look at the TT specs. It puts out a minuscule 2.5mV with the preamp off, and 150mV with it switched on. That’s still pretty low, considering that your standard CD player puts out 2V. Make sure the EQ is switched on, or turn it off and get a phono preamp with a healthier gain.
Thx Kumar I set it to 10 which helped quite a bit since it was only at 2 but even at 10 it’s not as high as I would really like. There is somewhere to adjust the EQ like chicks mentioned but not an actual on/off for EQ. Maybe I do need a better phono preamp and I saw a listing somewhere of suggested ones, do either one of you have that list?
Those I have used in my past are too expensive to recommend; cheaper ones work just as well. See the first thread here for some recommendations: https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/using-a-turntable-with-sonos-6769426
The TT maker Project also makes some good ones, you will find them on Amazon. As well as other ones that seem to work just as well, going by reviews there. A phono preamp in the USD 100 range is very acceptable these days.
I haven't done the Connect to Play 1 kind of set up for a long time now so I am not sure that this is useful, but it will do no harm to see if boosting the volume levels on the Connect will have any positive effect on play 1 sound levels. Nothing lost in trying this before changing preamps.