Answered

How to connect my Sonos Play 5 to Samsung smart TV?

I am trying to connect my Sonos Play 5 to my samsung TV. The objective is to hear the TV output (sound from TV) from the Sonos system. 
icon

Best answer by jgatie 9 December 2015, 20:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Start here: https://developer.sonos.com/
Hi community, hi Sonos team,

Having read that there is no app for Samsung TVs to connect them to Sonos I was thinking that we could maybe develop one on our own.
Are there any resources to program this or is there any information available? Specifications etc?
It shouldn't be that hard to get this working, I guess it's more a question of who wants to do it and maybe some legal issues?
I would be interested in developing such app!
In the end it's extra value for Sonos..:D

Best,
David
Badge
I have a Samsung UN85 Model and still unable to connect to play5.
Even using the audio cable for the line in connection, it doesn't work. I select this option in the Sonos app, and I switch the audio output settings in the Tv for "audio out/optical", and it doesn't work.

Honestly I think Sonos should be more friendly with the customers, including a Bluetooth and optical connection in the play 5. I would be happy to buy a play bar if I was not forced to. Such a nice speaker shouldn't be so limited.
The Play:5 has a mini-plug input, so if you can get a mini-plug output from your TV, then just connect the two. In fact, there are RCA to mini-plug converters, which may be an easier way to get the sound out of your TV.

That being said, it would only be a stereo signal, with no sub or surround information included, along with the oft discussed 70ms delay, which may or may not be an issue for you.

For better or worse, Sonos really wants their Playbar to be the speaker of choice for connecting to a TV, they certainly don't make it easy for anything else to work the way we would like. Probably a wise choice from a sales standpoint, more problematic for the rest of us. But I'll be honest, I'm extraordinarily pleased with my 5.1 setups, both of them.
I want to connect my Sonos 5 with Sony 55 x850d. Is it possible?
Can I connect my Play 5 to my Samsung Smart TV wirelessly? The model number of the TV is UN60JS7000FXZA.

Thanks.

No. You can connect the Playbar via optical out, or you can connect the Play:5 via the analog line-in (if the TV has no analog out, you will need a DAC between the TV digital out and the Sonos line-in).
Can I connect my Play 5 to my Samsung Smart TV wirelessly? The model number of the TV is UN60JS7000FXZA.

Thanks.
Hi Mohammed, 

Appreciate your response. 

The TV model is - Samsung 5534 Class 54634 Diag LED 2160p Smart 4K Ultra HD TV Black 
MODEL: UN55JU6500

Thank you

Stuart may be on to something. it looks like your TV only has audio output in the form of the 1/8" mini jack and digital optical. The red and white connections you are trying to use are probably the A/V input.

Try using a 1/8" audio cable from the TV mini jack to your Play:5 input.
Hi Mohammed, 

Appreciate your response. 

The TV model is - Samsung 5534 Class 54634 Diag LED 2160p Smart 4K Ultra HD TV Black 
MODEL: UN55JU6500

Thank you
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Phani, what's the model of Samsung TV you own? I'll try to find the manual for it and see how to get this working, if possible.
Your problem is actually probably more basic than this. My 2014 model Samsung TV has red and white sockets but... Next to a yellow socket. Which means it's actually an input to the TV not an output. In short the only Sonia component I can connect to my TV would be a play bar. This may be the same for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
In the app, go to Settings > Room Settings > [your Play:5 room] > Line In. There you can set the name to be whatever you want, adjust the volume level if it's too loud or soft, and enable Autoplay if you want your Play:5 to automatically switch to the Line In connection when it senses audio from your TV.

Once you've done that, it will be under Line In, then whatever name you entered in the settings above. If you want to call it TV, then it should be there under TV followed by your Play:5 room name.

If you don't have any Line In settings for your Play:5 zone when you have the cable connected to your Play:5's Line In jack, then there could be a problem with the jack or the cable, causing the Play:5 not to recognize that a cable is plugged into the jack.
Hi MikeV, 

Appreciate your quick reply. 

After doing all the connections - I did check in my iphone (and) ipad sonos app, under Line In. But under Line In - I did not find the TV. 

(I did check the other questions on the forum and followed the process - and did not find the TV under the Line In - Thus, opened a question here). 

Thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The TV won't show up as "TV" on your Play:5. It will show up under Line In. The only device that will show up as TV is a TV connected to a Playbar with an optical connection.

You might also need to go into Settings > Room Settings > [your Play:5 zone] > Line In and adjust some of the settings there. You can also make it so that if Sonos detects any audio on that Line In connection, it will automatically stop whatever was playing before and switch to the Line In connection.