Question

How similar are the speakers inside the Play 5 and Play 3?

• 17 January 2018
  • 1 reply

I have a gen 1 Play 5 speaker that has two blown speakers. The problematic speakers are the two mid range drivers that produce a decent amount of sound. As most of you know, finding replacement speakers is impossible and even buying another gen 1 Play 5 wouldn't be cost effective to replace these two speakers. I've been looking and I'm curious if the speakers inside the Play 3 are the same that's used in the Play 5. After looking at the tear down for both speakers, it appears as if they could be the same drivers after all. Does anyone know if I would have any luck using some Play 3 speakers to replace the speakers in my gen 1 Play 5?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
First off - strange it has 2 blown speakers as Sonos has said it is near impossible for their amps to overexert the speaker attached to it and blow them (unless it was by some external force like got wet etc.).

I think out of Warrantly Sonos gives a pretty good discount for sending in the Gen1 play 5 and getting a new Gen2 play 5.

Considering the warrantly replacement play:5 gen2 would not be much more then the cost of the scavenging of the Play:3 (not to mention time to do). The upgrade would seem the more logical choice. Not to mention in the end you have a brand new Gen2 vs. a Frankenstein Gen1. This could be a big difference with things like Airplay2 coming (which the assumption would be will work with Gen2 but not Gen1 as far as direct streaming to).