Answered

How old does a product have to be to go out of support please?

• 22 January 2020
  • 10 replies

Having just learnt that my Bridge and old Play 5 are going out of support in May 2020 due to insufficient processors and not enough memory. Can anyone speculate how future proof is my "modern" Play 5 purchased in 2018 please?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 22 January 2020, 19:03

Sonos has stated that they intend to support devices for at least 5 years after they are discontinued.  

View original

10 replies

Sonos has stated that they intend to support devices for at least 5 years after they are discontinued.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I’m thinking that a big part of this legacy mess is caused by the limited memory in the impacted units and possibly the older radios. The newer Play 5 has more memory and a newer radio so I don’t think it is at much risk even at the five year mark whenever that turns out to be.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Having just learnt that my Bridge and old Play 5 are going out of support in May 2020 due to insufficient processors and not enough memory. Can anyone speculate how future proof is my "modern" Play 5 purchased in 2018 please?

Gen2 P5 model is already 5 years old and is very lacking in hardware/memory compared to the new One, amp units.

But as the other posters mention Sonos says updates for 5 years after discontinuation. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Given the anger of many loyal purchasers with deep pockets, who say they will no longer be recommending Sonos but advising against purchase, it is a serious possibility that Sonos itself may not even exist as a separate firm in 4-5 years, never mind your equipment.

Unlike when it first started out, it now has endless competitors - many able to subsidise kit price.

I see a similarity with B&O - used to be unique, thriving and rather arrogant. Now about to go bust as they relied heavily on inflated prices and a loyal set of users who saw B&O kit as an ecosphere and would not go anywhere else.

Well, let’s hope that the CEO wakes up and either offers something like a 70% upgrade discount or some software/hardware solution to allow the ‘legacy’ kit to continue on for 10 years. Anything less is unlikely to undo the mess that has been created in the last two days.

The stock market has yet to wake up to the implications of losing customer brand ambassadors overnight - will be interesting to watch the share price if/when they do.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Well Sonos lies, even in May wont be 5 years old

#sonosboycott

That’s like the minimum in the EU meaning that they would get massive fines if they didn’t. It’s not because of their own selflessness, that’s for sure

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

#sonosboycott

What Sonos device are you talking about?

None of the devices listed as Legacy have been sold in the last five years.

You can confirm that for your system by looking at your Sonos page. The manufacture year and month are the first part of the serial number and it will show any flagged as legacy.

If you have something tagged legacy incorrectly, contact Sonos Support directly and they can correct the issue. The contact page has contact options and some are staffed 24x7.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

#sonosboycott

What Sonos device are you talking about?

None of the devices listed as Legacy have been sold in the last five years.

You can confirm that for your system by looking at your Sonos page. The manufacture year and month are the first part of the serial number and it will show any flagged as legacy.

If you have something tagged legacy incorrectly, contact Sonos Support directly and they can correct the issue. The contact page has contact options and some are staffed 24x7.

Hey Stanley, the Connect us going legacy for certain years but is actually still sold direct from Sonos

https://www.sonos.com/en/shop/connect.html

Many are going to be confused by this and Connect amp with different hardware gens

There have been many reports of post 2015 Connects Being marked as legacy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hey Stanley, the Connect us going legacy for certain years but is actually still sold direct from Sonos

Many are going to be confused by this and Connect amp with different hardware gens

I just wanted to speak to this, there was a bug that somehow flagged a small group of modern Connects as legacy. It’s been fully fixed on the website. So if anyone purchased a new Connect recently and saw a legacy flag, they should go back to the account page to confirm. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I just wanted to speak to this, there was a bug that somehow flagged a small group of modern Connects as legacy. It’s been fully fixed on the website. So if anyone purchased a new Connect recently and saw a legacy flag, they should go back to the account page to confirm. 

👍 awesome thanks for the update.